All Desktop Icons overlayed with small "no icon" icon

All my desktop icons are overlaid with, what I call the 'no icon' icon. (small box with three tiny colored dots, in a larger white box, upper right corner folded down).  This 'no icon' icon is about 1/3-1/4th the size of the original icon, so it doesn't harm use, but that icon overlaying the correct one is untidy looking.

If I open the properties,  only the 'no icon' icon is in the properties box.    If I point Windows Explorer at a program.  It's correct icon (no overlay) shows.  If I drag that program to the desktop, creating a shorcut,  the correct icon drags out - UNTIL - I release it,  then the 'no icon' icon is overlaying the correct icon as the others on my desktop.

I was advised to delete the IconCache.db  in C:\Users\<myid>\AppData\Local.   as it is rebuilt at boot time..  That suggestion does show up in several places - only, in my case,  that doesn't work.   Reboot and the overlaid icons are all there again.

I've seen other complaints of other small icons overlaying larger ones,  but so far none of those with suggestions work for my problem.

Bob K.

Question Info

Last updated October 5, 2018 Views 4,702 Applies to:
Answer

I had the same thing happen to me... and after about 3 hours of searching the internet.

found the solution that worked for me.......

Use regedit as a administrator

goto this register location.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Icons

there should be only the                                      (Default)    REG_SZ    (value not set)

unless you are running some other software this should be the only thing there..... other things could be Malware but investigate to make sure.

Hope this helps......

4 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.