Adding second toolbar to my windows 7 ultimate desktop

HI there

I've recently migrated from Windows XP. Love Windows 7, but there's one feature from XP I'd like to restore but can't work out how.

At present, I have a 'autohide' toolbar at the bottom of my desktop view, showing current apps so I can switch betweeen them at will.

With XP I also had, on the left of my desktop, a second toolbar (or should I use a different term for this?) in which I lodged shortcuts for my most commonly used apps and files/folders --about 20 of them. I'd just flick my mouse cursor to the right, the toolbar would pop up, and I'd select the app or folder I wanted.

Is there a way I can do this with Windows 7? When I go down to the app toolbar and select properties, it asks me to select or make new toolbar. When I do that, the new toolbar simply gets added as a button to the existing one. It doesn't seem possible to split or hive it off so that it can exist autonomously, at the side of the screen. Is there a simple way to make this happen? And believe me, I need 'simple' .....

thanks Anthony

Answer
Answer
This feature was deprecated in Windows XP, and discontinued entirely in Windows Vista. It remains gone in Windows 7. The new and more efficient way is to pin items to the taskbar. For example, if you need to access a folder, just drag it to the taskbar where it will pin inside the Explorer item. Then you can right-click (or drag-up) the Explorer icon any time you want instant access to that folder again. If you absolutely need a toolbar elsewhere, try RocketDock. It's free, and can be skinned to work just like the toolbars of old. (I really think you'll like the Jump lists and the less cluttered screen it gives you, but I've used Rocket Dock myself in the past and think you'll find it gives you what you're looking for).
If this was helpful, please vote by clicking the green triangle. If it solves the issue, click Propose as Answer. Thanks!
Shawn "Cmdr" Keene | Microsoft MVP - Windows Insider | CmdrKeene.com | tweet me: @LtCmdrKeene
Microsoft MVPs are independent experts offering real-world answers. Learn more at mvp.microsoft.com.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated June 17, 2020 Views 7,141 Applies to: