Blank Screen when I connect my Laptop to TV with a HDMI Cable

Hello All,

I am trying to coonect my Laptop ( dell studio 1555 ) to my SONY TV ( Bravia KDLW4100 ) using an HDMI Cable. My Laptop is running Windows 7 Home Premium Ed.

I have 2 questions in this regard -

First question is what display settings do I need to change on my laptop in order to get the output on the TV ?

Second Question - While trying to get this stuff working I changed the following settings -- Graphic Options -> Extend > To Digital TV
Since I changed this setting I am having problems getting a display on the Laptop ( when the HDMI Cable is connected )..Even  if I remove the HDMI cable the screen still remains blank and I have to Hard boot the Laptop to get it working...
Is there a way I can get back to my original display settings ?

Thanks in advance for your answers..

Question Info

Last updated November 15, 2018 Views 128,940 Applies to:
Answer

Hi amit21,

Welcome to Microsoft Answers!

To change the display settings, you may go through these steps.

1. Open the "display settings" in your computer and activate Output to the TV screen. You can either mirror content of your computer on the TV or extend the display just like a dual monitor screen.

2. Pick up your TV remote and switch to "External Inputs" from the menu. You will need to change the default "Video 1" to a different selection which may be "HDMI 1" or "Video 2" depending on how you have made the connection.

Important: Make sure you connect the cable to the TV before turning on the computer as sometimes it may fail to recognize external display.

You may also need to change the screen resolution of your TV using the Display settings in your Control Panel else the picture may appear distorted.

Tuning
The second factor in a laptop to TV connection is proper tuning. If the screen resolution and aspect ratio of your TV screen and computer are not the same, the TV picture will be distorted. This is important whether the screen is LCD (Liquid Crystal Display), CRT (Cathode Ray Tube), or non-LCD flat-screen.

The screen aspect ratio is a monitor’s proportion of width to height. Prior to 2003, most computer monitors had a screen ratio of 4:3, the same as standard TVs. Since then, ratios of 16:10 have become common, especially in laptops. HDTV has a ratio of 16:9; and motion pictures and still photography have even different ratios. One common example of a screen-ratio problem is when wide-screen video is shown on a standard screen. The result is undesirable letter-boxing, with black bars filling the screen at top and bottom.

Similarly, screen resolution varies between monitors. Resolution is measured in number of pixels across and down. Laptop LCD screens range from 1024 x 768 to 1920 x 1200 pixels, for a 15- or 17″ screen. HDTVs and wide-screen TVs have pixel resolutions varying from 1920 x 1080 to 1366 x 768. Unless your laptop screen and TV screen are the same size, adjustments have to be made to pixel ratio to ensure the best connection from TV to laptop.

Make sure both screen aspect ratio and pixel resolution of TV and laptop are compatible. You can adjust both picture ratio and resolution with the Display Settings on the Control Panel of a PC laptop. Your laptop user’s manual and manufacturer’s Web site provide information on settings and options for video output.

For more information visit the following link:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Connect-your-computer-to-a-TV

To get the better display settings on your Laptop, visit the following link for more information:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/Getting-the-best-display-on-your-monitor

When your computer does not display anything on the monitor you have a No Display or Blank Display problem. This can be caused by any of the following reasons:

· Monitor or System has no Power

· Monitor is defective

· Loose VGA/DVI Cable Connection

· Video Card Problem

· AGP/PCI-e Connector Problem / Motherboard

· System RAM Problem

Note:

If your computer's video card has been designed to work well with HDTV, it might come with its own software for setting screen resolution to match the 16:9 format.

For more information visit the following link :

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/HDTV-frequently-asked-questions

Regards,

Divya R – Microsoft Support.

Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

11 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.