Hi brian grteem,
1. How long have you been experiencing this problem?
2. Have you recently installed or uninstalled any software or hardware?
3. Are you experiencing this with a particular program or with all the programs saved on the desktop?
I would suggest you to rebuild the icon cache and check if the issue is resolved.
Rebuilding the Icon Cache Database.
1. Close all folder windows that are currently open.
2. Launch Task Manager using the CTRL+SHIFT+ESC key sequence, or by running taskmgr.exe.
3. In the Process tab, right-click on the Explorer.exe process and select End Process.
4. Click the End process button when asked for confirmation.
5. From the File menu of Task Manager, select New Task (Run…)
6. Type CMD.EXE, and click OK
7. In the Command Prompt window, type the commands one by one and press ENTER after each command:
CD /d %userprofile%\AppData\Local
DEL IconCache.db /a
8. In Task Manager, click File, select New Task (Run…)
9. Type EXPLORER.EXE, and click OK.
I would also suggest you to create a new user account and check if the issue persist.
For further information, visit the below mentioned link:
If the issue is solved in new user account, you may have corrupted profile.
Below is the link to troulbleshoot a corrupted profile, you can follow the steps mentioned in the link.
Thanks and regards,
Fouzan – Microsoft support.
Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum
http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-%20US/answersfeedback/threads and let us know what you think.
Did this solve your problem?
Sorry this didn't help.
Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.
How satisfied are you with this reply?
Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.
How satisfied are you with this response?
Thanks for your feedback.