Question

Q: Problem with Dual LCD Monitors in Win 7 This thread is locked from future replies

Let me first say that Windows 7 is AWESOME!!  Well, done Microsoft!  I do have one issue I would like to get resolved however.  I have two LCD monitors connected to an nVidia 8800 GTX graphics card.  One LCD monitor is an older and smaller 22" Samsung SyncMaster 225BW.  The other one is a brand new 24" S2409W DELL LCD monitor.  I obviously want the newer DELL to be the Primary monitor, and extend my desktop to the Samsung.  However, no matter how many different ways I connect/disconnect/reconnect the two monitors, Windows 7 always assigns the older Samsung as the Primary Display.  I went into Display Properties and clicked in the check box to make the DELL the Main Display, and that seems to have "kind of" worked.  For the most part, the DELL is being used as the main display, but is still labeled as Display 2.  So, when I went to start Windows Media Center, it comes up on my Samsung monitor, which is my secondary(extended) monitor.  My guess is, it does that because my Samsung moniotr is still labeled as Display 1.

So, I have two questions:

1) How does Windows 7 decide which monitor is Display 1 and Display 2? (you would think it would be by the order in which the display is connected/installed, but that is not the case)
 2) Is there a way to force whoich monitor is Display 1 (or 2)?

Answer

A:

I don't think it matters which one is called Display 1 and which one is called Display 2. 

Start Windows Media Center, move it to the display where you want it, and close it.   Windows Media Center will open on the same one after that.  On my computer, I have it on Display 2.
Steve Winograd

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Views: 1,027 Last updated: February 27, 2018 Applies to: