Question

Q: Pin programs back to Start Menu

On my old computer I had Windows XP.  If you dragged a program from the Start Menu to the Desktop it just created a short cut.  The program was still listed on the start menu under "programs".  In Windows 7 when I drag a program from the start menu onto the desktop it is now gone from my start menu all together.  And if you decide to delete the shortcut from your desktop you're screwed.  The program obviously still exists but I have to open it by different means.  Am I missing something obvious here?? Also,  windows 7 does not allow you to right click a program and create a shortcut on the desktop anymore? only taskbar?

Answer

A:

Hi there,

Instead of dragging the icon, right-click on it, go to Send To and choose to create a desktop shortcut - that will achieve what you want to do.

The problem you are having is that by dragging it from the start menu, you are actually moving the shortcut, not copying it.  You could also right-click and choose copy and then right-click on the desktop and choose paste but I personally prefer the send to option.

Hope this helps - good luck & enjoy Windows 7!
Jon

If this post was of use and helped please consider voting and proposing it as an answer...

My Blog - www.insidetheregistry.com

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Answer

A:

It sounds like you don't yourself have this problem right now.  However, it seems to me they have provided consistency.  When I drag an icon from folder-to-desktop, it moves the file.  Now it does the same from the Start menu, just as if the Start menu was a folder.

However, I agree with you: the Start menu should be treated special, like a real menu item.  I would want it to know that you want to create shortcuts from dragged items.  That would require opening the Start Menu folder itself to actual move items off the Start menu (or right-click/Delete).  I'd suggest posting this to the Windows 7 Feedback Form, as I have done.

If this was helpful, please vote by clicking the green triangle. If it solves the issue, click Propose as Answer. Thanks!
Shawn "Cmdr" Keene | Microsoft MVP - Windows Insider | CmdrKeene.com | tweet me: @LtCmdrKeene
Microsoft MVPs are independent experts offering real-world answers. Learn more at mvp.microsoft.com.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Views: 910 Last updated: February 27, 2018 Applies to: