Bar on the desktop for easy access to mail, IM, etc?

Just got a new laptop with W7 today, and I am loving it. There's one thing I was wondering if someone can help me find, though...

On one of the display computers at a store I visited, there was a bar at the top of the desktop with buttons for easy access to mail and IM (and, I believe, a couple of other programs, but I can't remember which). It was not the taskbar just moved to the top - looked completely different. I thought it might be a gadget or something, but I can't seem to find it listed anywhere...

Can anyone help me figure out what this is and how I might get it on my computer? I know that I could just pin the messenger buttons to the taskbar, but I'm still trying to figure out what all I want to put there, so as to not let it get too cluttered.

Thanks in advance!

Question Info

Last updated February 27, 2018 Views 738 Applies to:
Answer

Hi,

Who is the manufacturer of your computer?
Did you see the bar on desktop on Dell computer?

The bar you are referring to is “Dock”. Windows7 does not come with inbuilt dock.

If you are using Dell computer, look in Start > Programs > Dell's Software > Dell Dock.

Else you need to download from the below link and install:

http://www.delldock.com/

If you are using other computer and not Dell, then I would suggest you to logon to the manufacturer’s website and check for the dock, download and install it.

Please respond back with the status of the issue and let us know if you have any issues.

Azam – Microsoft Support.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.