Windows 7 displays 2 different settings for monitor 1's display and screen resolutions - #1. device on VGA res 1600 X 1200, #2. device Samsung res 1980 X 1020 (Preferred) How can I keep the (preferred) Samsung monitor and resolution settings?

I have tried to make changes in control panel and device manager but does not stay.

Question Info

Last updated February 27, 2018 Views 1,982 Applies to:
Answer

Hey Uncle Bob in Pasadena,

Thanks for posting in Microsoft answers!

a. What is the size of your monitor?
b. What is the model of your graphics card?

The issue may be related to drivers. You may have to download and install the latest display and graphics drivers to fix the issue.

To download and update driver, you can use the following methods:

1. Use Windows Update. You might need to set Windows Update to automatically download and install recommended updates.

2. Install software from the device manufacturer. For example, if your device came with a disc, that disc might contain software that installs a driver for the device.

3. Download and update the driver yourself. Use this method to install a driver that you download from the manufacturer's website. Do this if Windows Update can't find a driver for your device and the device didn't come with software that installs a driver.

Refer the below link for more details on the same:

Update a driver for hardware that isn't working properly
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/Update-a-driver-for-hardware-that-isnt-working-properly

If Windows can't find a driver for your device, and the device didn't come with driver software, you can look for a driver on the device manufacturer's website. Driver updates are often available in the support section of such sites.

Once you find the updated driver, follow the installation instructions on the website. Most drivers are self-installing—after you download them, you usually just double-click the file to begin the installation, and then the driver installs itself on your computer.

So, refer the manufacturer’s website for latest drivers.

Also, refer the below link for more information:

http://www.microsoft.com/athome/organization/twomonitors.aspx

Hope this helps!
Gokul – Microsoft Support.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Gokul,

I downloaded the latest Windows 7 Catalist drivers from ATI and my display is right where it should be @1980 X 1020 on a Samsung 37"LCD/Monitor Windows 7 (side by side windows) is really one of the best new features for my work.

Thanks,

Uncle Bob from Pasadena

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.