Change screen resolution

Original title: Having difficulty setting proper resolution.  Had it set then it changed on me.  

I have a samsung LED monitor hooked up via HDMI to my HP Slimline tower.  I was able to adjust this once before but it just reset when I accepted an update on IE 8.  Now the grey box that says "hide modes that this monitor cannot display" is unchecked and greyed out...I can't check it again but I used to have it checked.  How do I recheck that box and fix my screen resolution.  I think 1680/1050 worked well but right now I'm in 1920;1080 which is making my icons slightly off the page.

Question Info

Last updated February 27, 2018 Views 2,120 Applies to:
Answer
Update your graphics card/chipset drivers.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer

Hi MRM32,

LCD monitors, including laptop screens, typically run best at theirnative resolution. You don't have to set your monitor to run at this resolution, but it's usually recommended in order to ensure you see the sharpest text and images possible. LCD monitors generally come in two shapes: a standard proportion of width to height of 4:3, or a widescreen ratio of 16:9 or 16:10. A widescreen monitor has both a wider shape and resolution than a standard ratio monitor.

If you're unsure of your monitor's native resolution, check the product manual or go to the manufacturer's website. Here are typical resolutions for some popular screen sizes:

• 19-inch screen (standard ratio): 1280 x 1024 pixels
  • 20-inch screen (standard ratio): 1600 x 1200 pixels
  • 22-inch screen (widescreen): 1680 x 1050 pixels
  • 24-inch screen (widescreen): 1900 x 1200 pixels

Getting the best display on your monitor

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/Getting-the-best-display-on-your-monitor

Method 1

Try the below step and check if it works.

a)   Open Screen Resolution by clicking the  Start button, clicking  Control Panel, and then, under Appearance and Personalization, clicking Adjust screen resolution.

b)   Now click on Advanced setting on the right and in the following window, Click on  List all modes check if have the resolution which you are looking for.

c)    To apply changes click  Apply and  OK

Method 2

If the above step fails then follow“Cari [MS-MVP]”suggestion that is to update the graphics card driver by visiting the card manufacturer.

Update a driver for hardware that isn't working properly

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/Update-a-driver-for-hardware-that-isnt-working-properly

Hope this helps!

Halima S   - Microsoft Support.

Visit ourMicrosoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.