Windows 7: Change screen resolution

I had reason to reinstall my Win 7 recently. Since re-installation I haven't been able to set the screen resolution to 1600x1200 despite the fact that it set to it no problem before the reinstall.

If I try changing it using the "Screen Resolution" in Appearance/Display it reports that "Windows could not change your display to this resolution. Try another resolution." If I try and force it in the advance settings, despite selecting 1600x1200 it sets it to 1024x768. It also in both cases seems to set the monitor to 59Hz rather than 60 or 75.

I've tried uninstalling the GFX driver (ATI Radeon 4800 series) but the problem still occurs. I've also unplugged the second display and am just using the primary one to try and get this sorted.

I know the resolution does work with my PC and monitor and win7 as it was fine before the re-install and I use this resolution for older games that don't support wide screen gfx modes.

Can anyone suggest anything please

Question Info

Last updated May 28, 2018 Views 9,925 Applies to:
Answer

Hello The Randall Flagg,

Thank you for visiting the Microsoft Answers Community.

Unfortunately, until the manufacturer releases drivers that will allow your card to be completely utilized on Windows 7, there is not much that can be done. It sound as if you have tried other versions of drivers and still have no success.

Chris.H
Microsoft Answers Support Engineer
Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

3 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.