Menu Display Problem - Win 7

At some point shortly after upgrading Vista Business 64-bit to Windows 7 Pro 64-bit top level menus from all programs started displaying by expanding to the left.  For example, in a program with a "File" item on its main window bar, when I click on it, the "File" menu expands to the left so that the menu's display pane appears with the extreme right edge under the mouse pointer over the "File" entry on the main menu bar.

If the menu has a sub-menu expansion indicated by a right-facing arrow, when I click such an item, it expands to the left of the parent menu box.

Similarly right-click context menus (e.g. Desktop display properties menu) also expand leftward leaving the mouse pointer at the extreme right edge of the menu display pane.

Note that "custom" menus generated by program specific buttons implemented in a window within the main program window (usually appearing below the main menu bar) do not suffer from this problem.

It seems to me that there must be some obscure registry setting that was 'clobbered' by some installation (Office 2010 beta?, vcredist? ...?) that I have been unable to locate and fix.  Anyone know how to fix this problem?

Question Info

Last updated February 27, 2018 Views 984 Applies to:
Answer

Hi nwcole, 

a. What is the make and model of your computer? 

This issue is known to occur with Tablet PC’s.

Important: This section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

How to back up and restore the registry in Windows

KB322756 http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322756 

However try the following step to open the Menu’s on the Right hand side: 

1. Open the Start Menu, then type regedit in the search line and press enter.

2. If prompted by UAC, then click on Yes.

3. In regedit, navigate to the location mentioned below:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows

4. To Have Menus Open to the Right:

A) In the right pane of Windows, right click on a empty space and click on New and String Value.

B) Type MenuDropAlignment and press enter.

C) In the right pane, right click on MenuDropAlignment and click on Modify.

D) Type 0 as Value data and click on OK.

Close regedit.

6. Restart the computer to apply the changes.

Regards,

Divya R – Microsoft Support.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.