Microsoft Authenticator is asking me to authenticate using Microsoft Authenticator to use Microsoft Authenticator

So first of all... Why is "microsoft Authenticator" not an option in the "Products" dropdown when choosing where this post should go? I'm just going to choose "Windows"... Sorry not sorry.

Also, I can't take a screenshot on the microsoft Authenticator app without it capturing a black image (thanks,) so here is an extremely low resolution webcam picture of my phone screen.

When I click "Passwords" section on the microsoft authenticator app, I see a button that says "Sign In".

So, I click the button, to sign in. Then, it asks me to authenticate using microsoft authenticator, but I am not signed in, and this is a "sensitive" page, so I have to enter the code displayed into microsoft authenticator, BUT I AM ON MICROSOFT AUTHENTICATOR ALREADY!!! Who designed this terrible app??? Cheap labor resources then you expect us to prefer microsoft edge over Chrome? LOL

Also, when I search my own question in "Bing", it doesn't come up, even if I type the title word for word. Does it go through some sort of not-mentioned approval process before my post becomes actually visible to the public, or is Bing just extremely bad at updating its search results in a timely manner?

|

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Do you have a biometric login option set on your phone like your image or fingerprint reader?

With that method enabled on my phone, I'm always prompted for my fingerprint each time I reopen the app, even if I just minimize it, but I can move between selections on the bottom bar without a new challenge while it's open. Been a couple years since I set mine up, but don't ever recall seeing an option to sign-in displayed.

Also in Settings (3 vertical dots at top right of app) is a selection under Security called Screen Capture that allows apps to do that, I assume that would work for your purpose, though it's a security risk during normal operation.

Don't know how fast the new threads are indexed, but typically they'll be on the top page for the better portion of a day, and you can always click the login option near the upper right of this screen and select 'My Profile' from the drop-down that appears to see a list of the threads you've posted to, including your own, as you scroll down that page. Few ever get here by search, so your questions will typically be answered by volunteers like me or contract workers with a Microsoft tag, so visibility via search is unimportant anyway.

Rob

< EDIT > Now that I think about it, you don't have your initial Microsoft account setup in Authenticator yet, which is why you're getting that prompt. If you're setting up a personal account like mine, here's the simple page for one of those.

How to use the Microsoft Authenticator app - Microsoft Support

5 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Dear Rob Koch,

Can you answer the original question from asdf? When we are trying to log into a Microsoft App including Microsoft Authenticator the app asks us to verify our account with Microsoft Authenticator. We are not able to log into Microsoft Authenticator because Microsoft Authenticator is asking us to authenticate through Microsoft Authenticator. Looks like we have tried to set up Authenticator but something is not correct.

162 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Can't say since I've never been stuck in that loop, but I'd guess that the initial installation has somehow been corrupted.

In that case the first thing I'd probably try is to completely uninstall the Authenticator app from the phone, restart the phone to insure it's fully removed and then start over following the instructions to the letter. Can't say what went wrong initially for you, but it must be rare, or we'd see more of these complaints here already.

Remember, we're volunteers here, so don't have the full resources that Microsoft Support might at our disposal, meaning our responses are our best effort based on personal knowledge and your description of the problem.

Rob

9 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Same issue. Ongoing. We have emails we can't access because of this. Threads everywhere, apparently no solutions.

98 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Dean and any of the others in this thread.

Were you trying to set up the Authenticator app for the first time when this problem occurred, or had you already been using it for a while when the issue appeared for some unknown reason?

If the former, what instructions did you follow to set it up (URL) and at what point in those steps did this situation first appear?

As I inferred in my last post, the fact the image shows the 'Authenticator' selection on the bottom left grayed out means the actual authenticator portion of the app was never set up properly, while the Passwords section is a password manager for other 3rd-party sites.

In your case Dean you're clear that you can't access email, so does that mean you're totally locked out of your account, or do you still have some access, just not to certain apps?

The reason I ask is that if you can access your Microsoft Account profile at the following URL, then you might be able to Remove the 'Send sign-in notification' selection from the 'Ways to prove who you are' section of the Security, Advanced Security page.

Microsoft account | Home

This is the selection that enables the Authenticator and should revert to using the other available items like password, Email or Text a code instead.

Otherwise, I'd probably contact Microsoft Support directly for their suggestions, since no one here can directly aid with account issues.

Rob

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I'm currently facing this issue, I think there's something faulty in the logic, its simply the case of no other options provided for some services, leaving only the authenticator app option (devices get missing). Why do some services not have the option for "I can't access the authenticator"? why is there no attempt to fix this. This is a total lockout; it should be treated as urgent.

92 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks Rob...we have an 'ops' email used by the warehouse to send dispatch notes. Technically an unmonitored email, we do get customers responding to it. Given that, we want access to the email. The Authenticator cycle of doom won't let us set up.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Same issue, I am logged out from my account (onedrive, outlook,..) and cant sign in because authentificator app does not receive any codes or aknowledgements. Deleting and reinstalling authentificator app did not help for my account. Installing 2 factor for another account on authentificator worked.

26 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Same problem here. What a ludicrous situation for the app that is locking you out to require authentication from the very same app that is locking you out! Did anyone bother testing this app before they unleashed it on the public?!

143 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Yeah this is greaaaaat design. I immediately asked our admin if we can go back to google apps. Seriously, what's wrong with MS...

2FA is deactivated on our domain. Nobody should have this problem. It has been automatically forced for our company since today. Users are locked out of their account because the authenticator they just installed needs the code from the authenticator which is not set up to set up the authenticator.

Yeah this sentence almost doesn't mean anything with the stupid things MS just sent our way.

Personnally I think we should go back to office 2016 and google apps, if microsoft can just shut down our access like this.

60 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 19, 2024 Views 65,937 Applies to: