Sharepoint sync defaults to 'Always keep on this Device'. Why?

Our organization has moved from a traditional on-prem file server to using Sharepoint Online for file storage. Users generally are using SP Online's "Sync" button to synchronize a library or folder through OneDrive so they can access their files/folder in File Explorer.

Generally that works good and when the "Sync" button is clicked in SP Online, normally the OneDrive window pops up quick and disappears and then the sync is set up and starts processing.

I have one user when the "Sync" button is clicked, the OneDrive window additionally allows them to select which folders should be synced, which is different, but OK. The problem is their sync is automatically syncing in "Always keep on this device" mode which eats up a lot of their local HDD space. This is a problem because some libraries they need are larger than their HDD.

What am I missing for this user so a new sync defaults to lighter green checkmark meaning the sync has a reference to the file, but hasn't actually downloaded it?

So far I've tried: 'OneDrive.exe /reset' and unlinking their OneDrive account and re-linking it to use a different folder on the PC. Right away though, any sync wants to actually copy each file in full locally.

Any ideas?

|
Good day Mikex585! I would suggest to post this query to our neighbor forum from the link below as this is best suited in there. They are more oriented on with regards to this type queries/issues and there will be IT Pros and Gurus/System Admins/IT Admins and the likes who has the same deployment or setup in this type of environment and are available that will be able to fulfill your query out there.

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/answers/ask

Regards,
Paul R.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated April 4, 2024 Views 27 Applies to: