What about the OEM recovery partition?

I was wondering next month after windows 10 gets the final build release will the oem partition stay orbe gone as it is recovery for 8.0 j am asking because i dont want to like upgrade then for whatever reason have to downgrade to 8 again and not be able to ever get back on windows 10..

Also if i want a clean install of windows before the upgrade to remove old regkeys and such should i do it before July or will windows be like a clean install? Like will it remove old unused keys upon upgrade? And will there be a option to keep programs installed on 8.1 or remove them and do clean install?

Answer
Answer

A clean install does exactly what it says, it erases the drive and removes the previous version of Windows along with previously installed programs.

If you upgrade using Windows Update or the .ISO media, your recovery partition will become inoperable.

You have to make up your mind, you want a clean install, but you want to keep your programs.

In order to preserve your programs, you must do an in place upgrade.

I strongly advise you upgrade and if you want to, do a clean install after.

Will upgrading from Windows 7 or later preserve my personal files, applications and settings?

Yes, upgrading from Windows 7 or a later version will preserve your personal files (documents, music, pictures, videos, downloads, favorites, contacts etc, applications (ie. Microsoft Office, Adobe applications etc),  games and settings (ie. passwords, custom dictionary, application settings).

Will my existing programs, hardware and drivers work on Windows 10?

Most applications and hardware drivers designed for Windows 7 or later should work with Windows 10. Of course, with significant changes expected in Windows 10, it is best you contact the software developer and hardware vendor to find out about support for Windows 10. Windows 10 setup will keep, upgrade, replace and might require that you install new drivers through Windows Update or from the manufacturers website.

You can also download the Download the Windows 10 Reservation App and use it to check your system readiness.

How to reserve your free upgrade to Windows 10

Click the hamburger menu at the upper left hand corner.

Click Check your PC

Backup your computer:
When making significant changes to your computer such as updating the operating system, you should always backup. See links to resources about backing up by clicking the link for the respective version of Windows you are running: Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8/8.1

Also review:

How to: 10 Tips before installing the latest Windows 10 build

How to: 10 things to do if Windows 10 Setup fails.

Once you have installed these important updates and followed the prerequisite instructions, you should be ready to receive your free update to Windows 10 this summer.

Will users who take advantage of the upgrade offer for Windows 10 from Windows 8.1 and Windows 7 also be able to obtain recovery media?

Microsoft recently noted the following options available:

With Windows 10, you can create your own recovery media and back up the pristine state of the operating system and preinstalled software. If things go wrong and you are unable to refresh or reset your device successfully, you can boot the device using recovery media and reset to the prior pristine state.

Source: http://blogs.windows.com/bloggingwindows/2015/03/16/how-windows-10-achieves-its-compact-footprint/

You can also initiate a clean install by doing the following:

You can do a clean install a couple ways.

Press Windows key + i

Click Update and Security

Click Recovery

Under Remove everything and reinstall Windows, click Get started

or

At the Sign in screen

Hold down the shift key on your keyboard while clicking the Power icon on the screen

Continue to hold down the shift key while clicking Restart

Continue to hold down the shift key until the Advanced Recovery Options menu appears

Click Troubleshoot

Click Reset

What happens if I reinstall Windows using the recovery partition?

Windows 10 will be reinstalled.

Will I get a product key, can I get a product key?

By default, Windows 10 builds are pre-keyed, meaning, you do not have to enter a product key and should not be prompted to enter one even after Windows 10 has completed setup.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/wiki/insider_wintp-insider_install/how-to-activate-the-latest-windows-10-build/33f31475-93b3-4d1c-812f-4b21fbd807a7

Microsoft tells me that it will be possible to do so. And that a key part of this process is that it will save a product key tied to the previously upgraded PC or device in Windows Store. This is how Windows 10 will later know that the install is allowed: It’s “one of the benefits of the new delivery system,” a Microsoft representative told me.

Source: https://www.thurrott.com/windows/windows-10/3898/a-few-more-answers-about-windows-10-upgrades

Will ISO media be provided for the final release?

Yes, you will be able to download ISO media for Windows 10 RTM.

Please note, you might have to download the appropriate edition of Windows 10 for the version/edition of Windows you are upgrading. If you upgrade to the wrong edition, ie. Windows 7 Home Premium to Windows 10 Pro, you will have to purchase a license for Windows 10 Pro or go back to Windows 7 Home Premium and upgrade to Windows 10 Home.

What are the editions of Windows 10 available?

Suppose I need to reinstall Windows 10 after one or two years from now or I install a new hard disk?

Windows 10 is registered to the device, not your hard disk. Just install a new hard disk and reinstall Windows 10 and it will reactivate.

Resources: How to: upgrade from previous versions of Windows using Windows 10 ISO file

Best,
Andre
Windows Insider MVP
MVP-Windows and Devices for IT
twitter/adacosta
groovypost.com

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated February 10, 2019 Views 4,348 Applies to: