Quick Tip: Download and Update apps in Windows 10

Technical Level : Basic

Summary
Since its inception, applications designed for Windows have been licensed and distributed as packaged software. With the ubiquity and penetration of the Internet in the mid 90s, software embraced the web as a successful method of distribution. Shrink wrapped software remained a critical part of this new paradigm largely in part because of bandwidth. With Windows 10 Universal Apps are only distributed through the Windows Store. You won't be able to go to a site and click download to obtain Universal Windows Apps.
Details

To download an app, click Start and launch the Store icon on the Start or press Windows key + S and type: store then hit Enter on your keyboard.

The Store provides a variety of content, not just apps; you can find Games in addition to movies and TV shows. For this article, we will be looking at Apps. Click the Apps tab or you can type in the name of an app you are looking for.

Here, I am in the Apps category. If I am not finding what I am looking for, I can further filter down according to category.

The Store will tell you when you have already downloaded and installed app, just look for the Owned tag. When you do find an app you would like to install, simply click it then click the Install button and wait while it is installed. You can also search for something specific.

An app page will display information such as user reviews, system requirements, ratings and supported languages along with related apps. When your app is finished downloaded, you will be notified through the Notification Center. You can also find your newly installed app on the Start or All Apps menu.

Updating your apps

Developers will provide updates and enhancements to their apps from time to time. To check for updates to your apps, launch the Store and click the Updates are available menu which will indicate how many updates are available.

The above indicates I have 26 app updates available

You will see a list of updates that are available. If you are on a slow connection, you can click Pause all and select just the apps you want to update by pressing the Play button or remove it from the Queue if you don't want it all.

If you are unable to access or open the Store

Press the Windows key + R
Type WSReset.exe and hit OK

Resources:

Basics: Using Apps in Window 10 

Quick Tip: Find and launch programs quickly using All Apps in Windows 10 

Quick Tip: Customize which icons appear in the Windows 10 System Tray

Forum Article Info

Last updated November 18, 2019 Views 7,086 Applies to:
can't make use of this if you can't get into the store...

Andre:

I have done the reset.

I have cleared my cache.

I have checked services.msc to see the updates and winstore are running.

winstore can't be set to run 'automatic', mine says 'on demand', when I set it to start and it reads 'running', when I open the store and it fails, I get a quick flash as if it tried, then when I go back to services I see that the winstore has stopped.

something is not letting t open and then changing the service to stopped.

thanks for any help.

s12even

Andre:

when I entered WSReset.exe

my error box read:

X - ms-windows-store: purge caches

the appl cannot be started.

try reinstalling the app to fix the problem.

thanks

s12even

S12even writes:

I wonder if we are talking about the same problem...if

I go to Hotmail, my calendar is there. with all my entries from when I had win 8.1.

I just can't open it when I'm 'offline', in win 10.

something in settings, I guess, is not letting me get to it.

thanks,

Andre:

when I entered WSReset.exe

my error box read:

X - ms-windows-store: purge caches

the appl cannot be started.

try reinstalling the app to fix the problem.

thanks

s12even

next:

I have done the reset.

I have cleared my cache.

I have checked services.msc to see the updates and winstore are running.

winstore can't be set to run 'automatic', mine says 'on demand', when I set it to start and it reads 'running', when I open the store and it fails, I get a quick flash as if it tried, then when I go back to services I see that the winstore has stopped.

something is not letting t open and then changing the service to stopped.

thanks for any help.

s12even

S12even writes:

I wonder if we are talking about the same problem...if

I go to Hotmail, my calendar is there. with all my entries from when I had win 8.1.

I just can't open it when I'm 'offline', in win 10.

something in settings, I guess, is not letting me get to it.

thanks,

I have a DELL Inspion 17 5000 Series
& I can't copy/paste with it (?) Help! 
(PS...Purchased new 2 yrs ago, just opened/set up...was going to set up a separate office but didn't.)
I've seen various problems posted, including this, but no answer for it...is it a Dell or MS problem? 
My warranty's out, on it. Hope someone can help. Thanks.