How to reset the computer to factory settings in windows 10?

Hi,

I was hoping for a simple answer. If I upgrade to windows 10.0 and then decide to reset my computer to factory settings, won't it reset back to 8.1 which is the operating system I started with? And won't I have to reupdate windows 10.0 after the factory reset via windows update in order to reinstall windows 10.0?

Another problem that many people have reported is that when they upgraded form windows 8 to 8.1 and tried to do a factory reset it wouldn't work properly and would say a certain file is missing to complete the procedure. This problem is what I want to avoid with a potential windows 10.0 upgrade. So how can I reset the computer to its factory freshly installed windows 10.0 operating system? Could a mcrosoft engineer please respond with an answer? 

I've heard some people talk about ISO but I'm not sure what that is or how to use that to reinstall the operating system. An answer in laymen's terms would be very helpful and appreciated.

Sincerely,

Tim.

Question Info

Last updated August 4, 2019 Views 67,714 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

You will be able to create a recovery disk to reset it back to how it was at that point (after the upgrade). there will also be an iso  (image) available for you to make an install disk, after you have upgraded you will be able to do a clean install whenever you want.

19 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Will users who take advantage of the upgrade offer for Windows 10 from Windows 8.1 and Windows 7 also be able to obtain recovery media?

Microsoft recently noted the following options available:

With Windows 10, you can create your own recovery media and back up the pristine state of the operating system and preinstalled software. If things go wrong and you are unable to refresh or reset your device successfully, you can boot the device using recovery media and reset to the prior pristine state.

Source: http://blogs.windows.com/bloggingwindows/2015/03/16/how-windows-10-achieves-its-compact-footprint/

You can also initiate a clean install by doing the following:

You can do a clean install a couple ways.

Press Windows key + i

Click Update and Security

Click Recovery

Under Remove everything and reinstall Windows, click Get started

or

At the Sign in screen

Hold down the shift key on your keyboard while clicking the Power icon on the screen

Continue to hold down the shift key while clicking Restart

Continue to hold down the shift key until the Advanced Recovery Options menu appears

Click Troubleshoot

Click Reset

Best,
Andre
Windows Insider MVP
MVP-Windows and Devices for IT
twitter/adacosta
groovypost.com

103 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Will users who take advantage of the upgrade offer for Windows 10 from Windows 8.1 and Windows 7 also be able to obtain recovery media?

With Windows 10, you can create your own recovery media and back up the pristine state of the operating system and preinstalled software. If things go wrong and you are unable to refresh or reset your device successfully, you can boot the device using recovery media and reset to the prior pristine state.

Source: http://blogs.windows.com/bloggingwindows/2015/03/16/how-windows-10-achieves-its-compact-footprint/

Press Windows key + i

Click Recovery

or

At the Sign in screen

Hold down the shift key on your keyboard while clicking the Power icon on the screen

Continue to hold down the shift key until the Advanced Recovery Options menu appears

Click Troubleshoot

Click Reset

Hi Andre,

I was familiar with how to do a clean install using the recovery settings of windows 8.1. I've done that in the past. That's what I want to retain the ability to do. But I have a recovery partition of windows 8.1 and all the hp preinstalled software on the C: drive. And if I updated to Windows 10.0 and tried to reset the PC as you suggest, then wouldn't it reset back to Windows 8.1 due to the recovery partition?

Second thing I wanted to say is I'm pretty embarrassed to admit I don't know how to create recovery media, or even how to boot the system using the recovery media. I really liked the automatic nature of the PC Reset and the recovery partition so I don't even have to think about using recovery media and disks. This Windows 10.0 upgrade seems to complicate the issue for me.

Anything you can do to instruct me how to create recovery media, and from what source are we creating the recovery media, and secondly how do I boot the device and use the recovery media to do a clean install of windows 10.0?

Thanks for your time and your answer.

Sincerely,

Tim.

16 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Do you have any input Andre? Thanks again for your help..

Sincerely,

Tim.

4 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

In windows 10

press the windows key

type recovery

click on create a recovery drive

follow the instructions to create a usb recovery drive

to restore, boot from the recovery drive and follow the on screen instructions

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Press Windows key + i

Click Recovery

or

At the Sign in screen

Click Troubleshoot

Click Reset

Hi Andre,

I was familiar with how to do a clean install using the recovery settings of windows 8.1. I've done that in the past. That's what I want to retain the ability to do. But I have a recovery partition of windows 8.1 and all the hp preinstalled software on the C: drive. And if I updated to Windows 10.0 and tried to reset the PC as you suggest, then wouldn't it reset back to Windows 8.1 due to the recovery partition?

It will reinstall Windows 10, when you upgrade to Windows 10, the Windows 8.1 recovery partition becomes inoperable.

Second thing I wanted to say is I'm pretty embarrassed to admit I don't know how to create recovery media, or even how to boot the system using the recovery media. I really liked the automatic nature of the PC Reset and the recovery partition so I don't even have to think about using recovery media and disks. This Windows 10.0 upgrade seems to complicate the issue for me.

Press Windows key + S

Type: create recovery drive

Hit Enter

Make sure you have a USB thumbdrive with at least 512 MBs of free space and no important data on it.

Anything you can do to instruct me how to create recovery media, and from what source are we creating the recovery media, and secondly how do I boot the device and use the recovery media to do a clean install of windows 10.0?

Thanks for your time and your answer.

Sincerely,

Tim.

Best,
Andre
Windows Insider MVP
MVP-Windows and Devices for IT
twitter/adacosta
groovypost.com

·

Sorry this didn't help.

" back up the pristine state of the operating system and preinstalled software."

What does this actually mean?

My Vaio came with OEM 8.0 preinstalled, together with a load of bloatware. I spent most of a day updating it to 8.1 when it became available and made recovery media after the installation. For reasons that don't matter I needed to do a recovery, which put it back to 8.0 even though I made the recovery USB stick after the 8.1 install. Another day was then wasted while it repeated the 8.0 -> 8.1 update.

To clear up any remaining doubt for those of us who follow the OEM 8.0 -> 8.1 ->10 update path, what OS will recovery media made under Windows 10 recover to?  What does 'preinstalled software' mean precisely?

·

Sorry this didn't help.

I'm sure if you make a windows 10 recovery media, it should put you back on 10.

·

Sorry this didn't help.

I'm sure if you make a windows 10 recovery media, it should put you back on 10.

I thought the same about Windows 8.1 but it turned out not to be the case.

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

Thanks Andre that instruction helped.  I have a couple more questions for you or others who know the answer. First off, if you rollback windows 10.0 back to Windows 8.1 which you started with, will the recovery partition work again? I'm asking that just to cover my bases and as a safeguard in the event something bad happens during this process. I don't want to lost the recovery partition forevver.

And my last question is, will the installation of Windows 10.0 remove all my installed apps and software? Because normally when you reset the computer or reinstall the operating system, all the installed apps are deleted and you have to reinstall all of them after you do that. So will this installation remove all my files and installed software?

Thanks if you're able to answer these two questions.

Sincerely,

Tim.

·

Sorry this didn't help.