How to: Create a system image in Windows 10

Technical Level : Intermediate

Summary
Now that you have Windows 10 setup the way you like, one of the most important things you can do right now is preserve your investment. Create a recovery drive and a system image which you can use to easily restore if Windows does not boot or becomes corrupt or hardware failure.
Details

First step, launch Backup and Restore

Press Windows + X then click Control Panel

In Control Panel, click Backup and Restore (Windows 7)

Under Control Panel Home, click Create a system image

Make sure your external storage device is plugged in and turned on. It should automatically be detected. Click Next

Click Start backup to begin the backup process. The process can take some time depending on the size of your backup.

Backing up Windows 10

After Backup has completed you can close the wizard or create a system repair disc. It is recommended you do so if you don’t have a physical copy of Windows 10 for reinstallation.

How to: Create a Recovery Drive for reinstalling Windows 10

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

A piece of JUNK. I did several system images... when Windows Updates got stuck in a loop I tried to restore my computer. Got errors and very little restored. I guess I'll have to go back to Acronis and use their 3rd party software. MS is NO GOOD. Very frustrated. Lost a lot of stuff too.
Ah, who the heck knows... There's a plethora of things which, simply, do not make sense any-which-way-you-look. Some, you can (keep) ignoring, others will prevent you from doing things and there are others, yet, which will systematically work to grind you down: physically and emotionally, until finally the system will also break and wind up beyond possibility of repair. This is where the real fun starts! xD

Nothing but nothing works for me Andre, I have tried umpteen times to create a system image file in Windows 10, here are some of the errors I get:-

Backup of volume \\?\GLOBALROOT\Device\HarddiskVolume2\ has failed. The specified backup disk cannot be found

Backup of volume \\?\GLOBALROOT\Device\HarddiskVolume2\ has failed. The mounted backup volume is inaccessible. Please retry the operation.

Backup encountered a problem while backing up file C:\Windows\System32\config\systemprofile\OneDrive. Error:(The system cannot find the file specified. (0x80070002))

Windows PowerShell
Copyright (C) 2016 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> wbAdmin start backup -backupTarget:F: -include:C: -allCritical -quiet
wbadmin 1.0 - Backup command-line tool
(C) Copyright 2013 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

Retrieving volume information...
This will back up SYSTEM(EFI System Partition) (360.00 MB),Windows(C:),(\\?\Volume{6876b9e6-4c18-430a-93ad-3f7eb354f310}
\) to F:.
The backup operation to F: is starting.
Creating a shadow copy of the volumes specified for backup...
The backup of volume SYSTEM(EFI System Partition) (360.00 MB) could not be completed. Error: The specified backup disk c
annot be found.
Summary of the backup operation:
------------------

The backup operation stopped before completing.
Detailed error: The specified backup disk cannot be found.
Log of files successfully backed up:
C:\WINDOWS\Logs\WindowsBackup\Backup-13-04-2017_19-45-09.log

Log of files for which backup failed:
C:\WINDOWS\Logs\WindowsBackup\Backup_Error-13-04-2017_19-45-09.log

There was a failure in preparing the backup image of one of the volumes in the backup set.
The specified backup disk cannot be found.
PS C:\WINDOWS\system32>

PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> wbAdmin start backup -backupTarget:F: -include:C: -allCritical -quiet
wbadmin 1.0 - Backup command-line tool
(C) Copyright 2013 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

Retrieving volume information...
This will back up SYSTEM(EFI System Partition) (360.00 MB),Windows(C:),(\\?\Volume{6876b9e6-4c18-430a-93ad-3f7eb354f310}
\) to F:.
The backup operation to F: is starting.
Creating a backup of volume SYSTEM(EFI System Partition) (360.00 MB), copied (0%).
Creating a backup of volume SYSTEM(EFI System Partition) (360.00 MB), copied (0%).
The backup of volume SYSTEM(EFI System Partition) (360.00 MB) could not be completed. Error: The mounted backup volume i
s inaccessible. Please retry the operation.
Summary of the backup operation:
------------------

Detailed error: The mounted backup volume is inaccessible. Please retry the operation.
Log of files successfully backed up:
C:\WINDOWS\Logs\WindowsBackup\Backup-13-04-2017_19-48-01.log

Steps does not work for win10 upgraded from Win 8. recovery media does not pickup the back up-ed image.

None of the above works, it NEVER has for me in Windows 10, please fix this so I can create a System Image File....

Backup of volume \\?\GLOBALROOT\Device\HarddiskVolume2\ has failed. The specified backup disk cannot be found.

If you haven't already, you might use diskpart to examine your disk volumes to see if anything looks awry. https://superuser.com/questions/1058217/list-every-device-harddiskvolume  It most likely won't solve your problem, but there might be a clue there.

If you haven't already, you might use diskpart to examine your disk volumes to see if anything looks awry. https://superuser.com/questions/1058217/list-every-device-harddiskvolume  It most likely won't solve your problem, but there might be a clue there.

Hi Jerry, I doubt the solution lies there, I have two external USB Drives, and one Internal Drive, all are in the correct format, all have no errors, all have heaps of space, yet Windows 10 Backup fails every time I try to create a System Image File, it also fails on my Laptop. What puzzles me is, Windows 10 finds the drives just fine when starting the process, yet fails after two minutes or so, with various errors, mostly saying the drives cannot be found !!

All these commands fail using Windows Power Shell, ran as an Administrator to:-

wbAdmin start backup -backupTarget:E: -include:C: -allCritical -quiet

wbAdmin start backup -backupTarget:F: -include:C: -allCritical -quiet

wbAdmin start backup -backupTarget:H: -include:C: -allCritical -quiet

wbAdmin start backup -backupTarget:G: -include:C: -allCritical -quiet

wbAdmin start backup -backupTarget:H: -include:C: -quiet -allCritical

wbAdmin.exe start backup -quiet -backupTarget:H: -allCritical

Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.15063]
(c) 2017 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>diskpart

Microsoft DiskPart version 10.0.15063.0

Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation.
On computer: MICHAEL

DISKPART> list volume

Volume ###  Ltr  Label        Fs     Type        Size     Status     Info
  ----------  ---  -----------  -----  ----------  -------  ---------  --------
  Volume 0     G                       DVD-ROM         0 B  No Media
  Volume 1     C   Windows       NTFS   Partition    913 GB  Healthy    Boot
  Volume 2     D   Recovery Im  NTFS   Partition     15 GB  Healthy
  Volume 3         Windows RE   NTFS   Partition   1023 MB  Healthy    Hidden
  Volume 4         SYSTEM         FAT32  Partition    360 MB  Healthy    System
  Volume 5                               NTFS   Partition    450 MB  Healthy    Hidden
  Volume 6                               NTFS   Partition    450 MB  Healthy    Hidden
  Volume 7                               NTFS   Partition    450 MB  Healthy    Hidden
  Volume 8     E                        NTFS   Partition    930 GB  Healthy
  Volume 9         Recovery       NTFS   Partition    300 MB  Healthy    Hidden
  Volume 10                            FAT32  Partition    100 MB  Healthy    Hidden
  Volume 11                            NTFS   Partition    450 MB  Healthy    Hidden
  Volume 12                            NTFS   Partition    451 MB  Healthy    Hidden
  Volume 13    H   Seagate Exp  NTFS   Partition   3725 GB  Healthy
  Volume 14    F   Seagate      NTFS   Partition   1863 GB  Healthy
  Volume 15    I   HTCTFTCAM    FAT32  Removable     29 GB  Healthy

DISKPART>

All look fine to me.

I did all this, created a startup disc and none of it worked when I had to 'recover'. Gonna try again but not very hopeful. I despise Windows 10. 
this does NOT work. Tried the system image, created a repair disc and got errors on restore and repair disc did not work at all. Bogus bogus bogus

Forum Article Info

Last updated November 28, 2020 Views 862,650 Applies to: