HELP - Accidentally deleted Win\System32\GWX folder part of Windows 10 upgrade

I made the mistake of letting my 15 year-old nephew use my computer during a visit this weekend and he, thinking he was doing me a favor, decided to "get rid" of that Windows 10 Upgrade icon in my system tray. Apparently a friend of his told him how to get rid of it on his laptop because he said it was malware, and he decided to do the same on my PC. The way he told me he went about doing it was that he first deleted the KB3035583 Windows update, then hid it to prevent further update notifications. Then he went to C:\Windows\System32 and deleted the \GWX folder. Next, and this is the stumper, he said he went into the registry and removed a key that referred to gwx.exe. - Needless to say I was appalled he would take such liberty with my computer without asking first, but lesson learned... - Luckily whatever he did to the registry didn't hurt anything as the PC boots up and shuts down fine, with everything working the way it should.

Now can anybody help me fix this? - I really do want to reserve my copy of Windows 10, and that's how I found out about this issue, as I was going to reserve it today after trying it out over the weekend on a virtual machine at a buddy's house.

Here's what I've tried:

* Unhiding the KB3035583 update, which within a few minutes downloaded and a Windows Update icon showed in my system tray. So I tried to run the update several times and it kept failing each time.

* Ran the Windows Update Repair Utility from Microsoft, it found no issues.

* Ran a .cmd file I found in another thread that is supposed to help called "Windows10Upgrade.cmd" - no help.

* Ran another .cmd file, also from another thread called "ReserveWin10.cmd" - also no help.

First person to come up with the solution gets a big ATTA'BOY! (And a good old fashioned thank you!)

Oh, and PS, before anybody asks; yes, I'm Genuine Windows 7 OEM in a purchased HP computer, upgraded to SP1. (Wouldn't have received the GWX stuff otherwise...)

Thanks!

-------------------------------------------

EDIT: My nephew just told me he thinks this was the registry key he deleted: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\GWX -- I looked, and this key is not present.

Question Info

Last updated November 28, 2018 Views 1,741 Applies to:

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community. Your interest in Windows 10 Technical Preview is much appreciated.

I suggest you to refer to the suggestions by Yaqub K replied on June 1, 2015 in the link given below and check if this helps:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-win_upgrade/i-want-to-reserve-my-free-copy-of-windows-10-but-i/848b5cce-958b-49ae-a132-a999a883265b

If you’re still not able to see the icon then I suggest you to refer to the link below on how to fix the issue and check if this helps:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wiki/windows_10-win_upgrade/how-to-reserve-your-free-upgrade-to-windows-10/6c5fa167-467a-42f4-b4d2-91ac2be43c31

Hope this information was helpful and do let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to assist.

Thanks!

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

If the Reservation application (Windows 10 app) has a blank screen or does not work or is not available:

Please be aware even if you do not get the Windows 10 app, you can still download Windows 10 as a .ISO file, create a bootable copy and upgrade your system.

How to: upgrade from previous versions of Windows using Windows 10 ISO file

Backup your computer:
When making significant changes to your computer such as updating the operating system, you should always backup. See links to resources about backing up by clicking the link for the respective version of Windows you are running: Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8/8.1

Also review:

How to manually backup and restore your files

How to: 10 Tips before installing the latest Windows 10 build                                          

How to: 10 things to do if Windows 10 Setup fails.

Once you have installed these important updates and followed the prerequisite instructions, you should be ready to receive your free update to Windows 10 this summer.

Best,
Andre
Windows Insider MVP
MVP-Windows and Devices for IT
twitter/adacosta
groovypost.com

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you Andria; I tried all of your remedies in you post and unfortunately none of them gave me any relief. - I even found a shadow-copy of the GWX folder with all of the files intact at "C:\Windows\winsxs\amd64_microsoft-windows-gwx_31bf3856ad364e35_6.1.7601.18846_none_0e7fd87b6cf7aa00" and copied it back to the "C:Windows\System32" folder, then attempted to run gwx.exe both by double-clicking on the icon (nothing happened) and running it manually from an elevated command prompt (nothing here either). I even tried running the other .exe files in the folder, but no help as well.

Still, every time I un-hide the "Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB3035583)" within a minute I see the "Windows Update - New Updates are available" icon in the system tray, and when I try to install it (even repeatedly) I get a "Failed - Try Again" notification with fault codes "8007371B" and "dt000". - Once again tried to run the Windows Update Troubleshooter, but no help there either...

So... I am very relieved to find out I will still be able to download the .iso file and create a disk image (which is probably a better idea anyway - in the possible future event of a need for a reinstallation). - Can you explain to me what the steps for doing so will be? For instance, will I be notified via email or such?

And by-the-way, I am also a member of the Windows Insider Program with Windows 10 Beta, Build 10130 installed using VirtualBox (yes, after this past weekend I went ahead and "took the plunge!") - So is there a special way I will be contacted via that program?

Once again, thank you Andria for offering assistance, and I'm sorry things didn't work out with your suggestions.

Have a great day, and God bless!

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you Andre for your reply; as I stated to Andria in my previous reply, it is relieving to know I can still obtain the .iso file for upgrade, and I feel it is a better route to go with anyway, just in case...!

I have already made many preliminary backups of the vast majority of my personal files, so thank you for that information as well.

If Andria is not aware of, or does not have the answers to my questions about obtaining the .iso file when it becomes available, I would very much appreciate your input; or whichever one of you gets to it first!  :)

Many thanks, have a great day, and God bless!

Sorry this didn't help.