Basics: How to open a document in Windows 10

Technical Level : Basic

Summary

There are numerous ways to open a document you created in Windows 10. In this article, we take a look some of the common ways you can do so.

Details

Here are some of the common ways you can open a document:

• From within the application you used to create the document.
  • From within File Explorer using Quick Access.
  • Application Jump List.
  • Using Search.

Open document from within an app

Click the File menu then click Open (if the file is already listed on the Recent documents menu, you can click it to open it immediately).

By default, the application will go to the Documents library. If the document is not listed there, use the navigation pane to browse to where the file is located.

Click the arrow next to the location if the file is located within a subfolder.

Click the folder that contains the file

Select the file then click Open

Opening a document using Quick Access in File Explorer

Another way you can open a document is using the Quick Access menu in File Explorer. If you recently worked on the document, you can quickly access it from there.

Launch File Explorer on the Taskbar or Start menu

In the Navigation pane, click Quick Access

Under Recent Files, select the document then double click it to open it.

Using Jump List

If you have your favorite apps pinned to the Taskbar or Start for quick access, they might have Jump List support. Introduced in Windows 7, this function lets you access the most recently saved files unique to the application.

Right click the application or hover it on the Start and a pop up menu will display the most recent documents. Select the document and click it.

Using Search

If you have a lot of files on your computer, a quick way to find that particular document is by using Search. Learn more in the following article.

Basics: Finding information on the Web and in Windows using Cortana

Resources:

Basics: End your Windows Session - shutting down your PC

Basics: Using Settings to customize Windows

Basics: Using Start and Taskbar in Windows 10

Basics: Managing Files and Folders using File Explorer in Windows 10

Basics: Using Apps in Window 10

Frequently Asked Questions: Windows 10

Forum Article Info

Last updated November 21, 2019 Views 34,300 Applies to:
How do I make a NEW document. I do not want the old documents.  I want to find Word and make a NEW document. I cannot find anything on Windows 10.  Terrible to hide everything so many clicks away
I knew windows 7...no problem... I have no idea what or how to open a document other than typing in "document" in the lower left circle icon.  Well that is 8 strokes more than windows 7.  I don't understand any of the other ways.  There has got to be a way just to use the mouse to open documents.

How do I make a NEW document. I do not want the old documents.  I want to find Word and make a NEW document. I cannot find anything on Windows 10.  Terrible to hide everything so many clicks away

I can open an old document created with Office 365 Home. But the print is so small on the actual  document I cant read it to edit it.  I now have Office 365 Personal