Upgrade only, so no w10 fresh install option via w7 product key? What happens after the 1yr if you upgraded, can you reinstall, will upgrade still be available via fresh w7 install?

I have a full version of w7 that I preordered back in '09. In that time I've been able to do fresh installations of the OS whenever I've had issues or upgraded HDDs etc. My worry is that if I upgrade, I will lose that flexibility. 

Sure you could use the option "Remove everything and reinstall Windows" in the new settings menu, but it's not really a fresh install and for that next HDD upgrade you'll have to what, spend hours cloning over the OS? Whereas before I could have just done a fresh install from installation media. 

Say I'd upgraded, and had to reinstall via my w7 discs after the 1yr period, due to a faulty HDD etc. what happens then? Will I then be stuck back on w7, or will Windows update recognise that the associated product key was upgraded during first year and allow the free upgrade again?

I have a full version of w7 that I preordered back in '09. In that time I've been able to do fresh installations of the OS whenever I've had issues or upgraded HDDs etc. My worry is that if I upgrade, I will lose that flexibility. 

Sure you could use the option "Remove everything and reinstall Windows" in the new settings menu, but it's not really a fresh install

I don't know how you come to that conclusion, but it is a clean install.

and for that next HDD upgrade you'll have to what, spend hours cloning over the OS? Whereas before I could have just done a fresh install from installation media. 

Say I'd upgraded, and had to reinstall via my w7 discs after the 1yr period, due to a faulty HDD etc. what happens then? Will I then be stuck back on w7, or will Windows update recognise that the associated product key was upgraded during first year and allow the free upgrade again?

Will users who take advantage of the upgrade offer for Windows 10 from Windows 8.1 and Windows 7 also be able to obtain recovery media?

Microsoft recently noted the following options available:

With Windows 10, you can create your own recovery media and back up the pristine state of the operating system and preinstalled software. If things go wrong and you are unable to refresh or reset your device successfully, you can boot the device using recovery media and reset to the prior pristine state.

Source: http://blogs.windows.com/bloggingwindows/2015/03/16/how-windows-10-achieves-its-compact-footprint/

You can also initiate a clean install by doing the following:

You can do a clean install a couple ways.

Press Windows key + i

Click Update and Security

Click Recovery

Under Remove everything and reinstall Windows, click Get started

or

At the Sign in screen

Hold down the shift key on your keyboard while clicking the Power icon on the screen

Continue to hold down the shift key while clicking Restart

Continue to hold down the shift key until the Advanced Recovery Options menu appears

Click Troubleshoot

Click Reset

Will ISO media be provided for the final release?

Yes, you will be able to download ISO media for Windows 10 RTM.

Tips: Create backup media for future needs.

Microsoft recently noted the following options available:

With Windows 10, you can create your own recovery media and back up the pristine state of the operating system and preinstalled software. If things go wrong and you are unable to refresh or reset your device successfully, you can boot the device using recovery media and reset to the prior pristine state.

Source: http://blogs.windows.com/bloggingwindows/2015/03/16/how-windows-10-achieves-its-compact-footprint/

Also, you can retrieve the .ESD file from the root of the drive in the C:\Recovery Image folder and create your own bootable copy which you can use for reinstallation purposes.

Download ESD Decrypter 4.7 (esd-decrypter-wimlib-4.7z)

You can use NTLite as an alternative to convert the .ESD file into a .ISO:

https://www.ntlite.com/

Extract esd-decrypter-wimlib-4.7z to a folder.

Put the appropriate .ESD file you downloaded into that same folder.

Right click decrypt file in the same folder and click Run as administrator

Select option 1

Hit Enter

Wait

When complete, burn to a blank DVD or create a bootable copy on a USB thumbdrive.

See article for instructions how to do that.

Preparing the .ISO file for installation.

See instructions for burning .ISO files in Windows 7 or later:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Burn-a-CD-or-DVD-from-an-ISO-file

You can also use the Microsoft USB/DVD Tool, which is recommended for Windows XP users.

After obtaining the .iso file you use the Microsoft .iso to USB/DVD tool to create a bootable DVD or USB (requires a blank DVD or USB flash stick of at least 4 GB).

For UEFI based systems

If your computer is UEFI based, these are normally systems that come pre-loaded with Windows 8 or later, you will need to prepare the ISO file for such a configuration or you will receive an error message during setup. The thumbdrive needs to be formatted as FAT32 and use the GPT partitioning scheme. To do this, you need to use Rufus, a small tool you can download for free.

Rufus - credit: Pete Batard/Akeo

After you have installed Rufus:

• Launch it
  • Select ISO Image
  • Point to the Windows 10 ISO file
  • Check off Create a bootable disk using
  • Select GPT partitioning for EUFI firmware as the Partition scheme
  • Choose FAT32 NOT NTFS as the File system
  • Make sure your USB thumbdrive in the Device list box
  • Click Start
  • Close when complete

Resources:

How to reserve your free upgrade to Windows 10

Frequently Asked Questions: Windows 10

Best,
Andre
Windows Insider MVP
MVP-Windows and Devices for IT
twitter/adacosta
groovypost.com

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for the reply.

I imagine though that the created w10 recovery media, while it will be basically the same as using the w7/8 installation media (and you will be able to use on new HDDs etc), will be locked to the hardware its installed on? Regardless of whether the product key from the upgraded OS product key was OEM or a full license (that could be transferred to a new system)?

What I'm basically asking, will the upgrade essentially turn a w7/8 full license into an OEM copy, fixed to the current hardware?

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated January 27, 2018 Views 1,556 Applies to: