Unable to Upgrade to Windows 10 - Something Happened error

Unable to Upgrade to Windows 10 - Something Happened error

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hello,

Thank you for posting your concern here in Microsoft Community and welcome to the Windows 10 family.

We apologize for the inconvenience caused to you.

From the description of the issue, I understand that the Windows Update did not complete the upgrade to Windows 10.

Kindly follow the below suggested methods and see if it helps to resolve the issue when you try to update the next time to upgrade to Windows 10.

Method 1

Check whether the Windows date and Time is set to Automatic and the System Locale to English. Then try to use the Windows Update troubleshooter and see if it helps.

Link: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/troubleshoot-problems-installing-updates#1TC=windows-8

Method 2

This issue might also occur due to corruption in Windows Update component files. I suggest you to reset Windows Update component. Kindly follow the below given steps.

1. Press Windows key + X, select Command prompt (Admin) to bring up elevated Command prompt.

2. Stop the BITS service, the Windows Update service, and the Cryptographic service. To do this, at a command prompt, type the following commands. Make sure that you press Enter after you type each command.

• net stop bits

• net stop wuauserv

• net stop appidsvc

• net stop cryptsvc

3. Rename the software distribution folders backup copies. To do this, at a command prompt, type the following commands. Make sure that you press Enter after you type each command.

• Ren %systemroot%\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.bak

• Ren %systemroot%\system32\catroot2 catroot2.bak

4. Restart the BITS service, the Windows Update service, and the Cryptographic service. To do this, at a command prompt, type the following commands. Make sure that you press Enter after you type each command.

• net start bits

• net start wuauserv

• net start appidsvc

• net start cryptsvc 

5. Restart your PC and check if it works this time when you try to update. 

You may also refer to the below link, where in one of our Forum Moderators, Bennet Martin, has shared helpful information on slow upgrade process.

Ref: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-windows_install/the-windows-10-upgrade-appears-to-hang/a3359013-80a7-4a25-a75d-1c828e576c40?tab=question&status=AllReplies#tabs

Kindly keep us posted on the status of the issue. If it still persists, we would be glad to help you further.

Thank You.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Nope.It didn't solve the problem.What may be the cause?

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

We have to change System Locale to English(UNITED STATES).Then it solves the problem of something happened error.But Progress is still 0%...

Go to Clock,Region and Language>Region>Adminstrative>Change System Locale to United States...

It will do...

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Run the troubleshooter(it corrects certain problems with windows update settings and some missing registry files) then change the given SYSTEM LOCALE to English(UNITED STATES).Update starts to work.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I attempted these steps as well and was unable to update. I'm on Windows 8.1 and am attempting to manually update using the media installation tool.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I found out that the taskbar moved from bottom of the screen to the left side caused issues with 2 of my upgrades.

I upgraded 11 PCs and 2 of them show this "something happened" error message. Those 2 had the taskbar LOCKED to the left side of the screen. Remove the Lock and place it back to the bottom resolve the issue.

Hope this help you guys. It was a tricky one, but I'm glad to solve it :) 

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

In windows 7 Home Premium SP1  I am getting Something Happened Error again. I am fed up with this upgrade process.They should have given their update in windows store as they did for Windows 8.1 But all sorts of Problems.Tomorrow is my class test and till now I am sitting infront of my computer hoping for Something To happen to install Windows 10.

Atleast Tomorrow,Something good should soon happen

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Try running the tool by right clicking 'Run as Administrator'  also select language/ region same as your system (English)..try this & see if it helps.
twitter: @vasudevg

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

This will probably not apply to anyone else, but I was receiving this error and have now upgraded to 10. 

I use a standard account for everyday use and have a local admin account for installs and other admin stuff. I received this error when logged on as my standard account but when running the same media creation tool from my admin account, it worked without issue.

This probably won't apply to anyone else, but it worked for me so I'm sharing.  Good luck

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I did every one of those methods but nothing changes 

132 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated December 3, 2023 Views 87,563 Applies to: