Windows Store cache may be damaged: Windows 10 following Anniversary Update

The Anniversary update has been a disaster for me. I'm running three laptops with Windows 10 and am having the same problem on all three:

Live tiles on MSN News, MSN Money, Flipboard, Facebook, Twitter, Messenger and Ouga, etc do not update, or update rarely. Running the Windows Apps troubleshooter, I get a message saying the Windows Store cache may be damaged. Following reset by the troubleshooter, it claims to have fixed the problem.

I have contacted MS Customer Support a few times about it, and each time I've been told that if doing the "restorehealth" under Powershell and "sfc /scannow" and "wsreset" under the Command line don't work, I should do an "in place" upgrade. I have done the upgrade, but the problem remains. The cache is always damaged and the live tiles don't update: they either freeze or go blank. I have even re-downloaded the app packages, but this makes no difference.

Since the problem is the same on three laptops - two HP ProBooks and one Acer - it obviously isn't a problem with a corrupt profile.

One support technician told me it was a known issue and that an update would be done by MS. The Store updated a few days ago, but there is no difference. The other two technicians I dealt with had never heard of the problem and had no idea how to fix it, except by telling me to do the in place upgrade from the Windows 10 page.

Some practical advice on this would be great, because it's driving me up the wall.

Thanks.

Question Info

Last updated October 12, 2019 Views 40,324 Applies to:
Answer
Answer

WAZ POPPIN
READ FIRST
Open cmd (admin) right click and run as admin.
Type: powershell.
Type: 

Set-ExecutionPolicy Unrestricted

Now type: 

Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}

Let it do its thing.

Restart Pc by clicking Windows start power shutdown!

Now do not open windows store or windows store apps!

Open cmd and type WSReset.exe! restart PC!

You are good to go or else try this CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD

147 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer

Hey Prince! I reached out to some old co-workers in Support to get some focus on this, but unfortunately, everyone I know is on the Office team. It's such a big company.

BUT, I was able to resolve my particular issue by uninstalling the Movies & TV app--this was much simpler than all the other crazy things I found online. I don't know if that will help you, but I used this article to do it.

Here's a quick summary of what I did.

1. Pop open the Windows Start menu, and search for Powershell.
  2. Right-click Powershell, and Run as Administrator (this probably isn't necessary, but I default to elevated privilege if I can).
  3. Type this "Get-AppxPackage *zunevideo* | Remove-AppxPackage" and hit return.
  4. After the command completed, quit Powershell and validated that Movies & TV was gone.
  5. Then I launched the Store app, searched for "Movies & TV" and installed it.

Of course, I tried a bunch of things before this, so one of those may have had an impact as well.

After all that, though... my issue was tied to just one box, not multiple boxes, as it seems to be for you. It's possible that you hit the problems on multiple machines at the same time coincidentally, but... well, it's worth trying an uninstall-reinstall on one of them, right?

20 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.