Windows 10 Store and apps close immediately

I have a new installation of Windows 10. Whenever I open the Windows Store, or any app such as Weather or Email or Calendar (which I've never opened before), the store or app window opens for a brief second then closes. This is a brand new installation, not an upgrade from 7 or 8, and very little has been installed. I am logged in on the machine with my live account, although I did set it up as a local account initially because the Windows installation could not detect my network connection until after I installed the network adapter drivers for my motherboard (I don't know if that matters, but I thought I would mention it since it was a little bit of an oddity).

I have scoured this support site and Google, and found a half-dozen solutions, none of which work. Just so no one re-post those other solutions, I will briefly detail what I have tried.

Date & time and timezone fix: No, my date and time and timezone are correct. I cannot make it anymore correct.

Clearing the Windows Store LocalCache: The solution to clear the files in C:>users>user_name>AppData>Local>Packages>Microsoft.WindowsStore_8wekyb3d8bbwe>Localcache does not work, in fact, the folder (and most folders in the Windows Store local package folder) was already empty.

WSReset: Running wsreset.exe did not work (I think that's similar to the above). In fact, it gave an error, "ms-windows-store:PurgeCaches. The application cannot be started. Try reinstalling the application to fix the problem".

System File Checker: Running sfc /scannow did not detect any problems and did not fix the issue.

Re-registering Store App: Running the powershell script to re-register the AppxManifest.xml did not fix the issue.

Windows Updates: All the latest Windows updates are installed.

Every time I start Windows Store or any "metro" (or whatever they call it now) app, an error is logged in the event viewer. Here's the error, though I don't think its actually very helpful.

Log Name:      Application
Source:        Microsoft-Windows-Immersive-Shell
Date:          10/15/2015 9:34:32 PM
Event ID:      5973
Task Category: (5973)
Level:         Error
Keywords:      
User:          ORION\mwchase
Computer:      Orion
Description:
Activation of app Microsoft.WindowsStore_8wekyb3d8bbwe!App failed with error: Unknown HResult Error code: 0xc0eb000a See the Microsoft-Windows-TWinUI/Operational log for additional information.
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
  <System>
    <Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Immersive-Shell" Guid="{315A8872-923E-4EA2-9889-33CD4754BF64}" />
    <EventID>5973</EventID>
    <Version>0</Version>
    <Level>2</Level>
    <Task>5973</Task>
    <Opcode>0</Opcode>
    <Keywords>0x2000000000000000</Keywords>
    <TimeCreated SystemTime="2015-10-16T01:34:32.108580000Z" />
    <EventRecordID>1374</EventRecordID>
    <Correlation />
    <Execution ProcessID="3924" ThreadID="7476" />
    <Channel>Application</Channel>
    <Computer>Orion</Computer>
    <Security UserID="S-1-5-21-2127160392-4026454141-3327082158-1001" />
  </System>
  <EventData>
    <Data Name="AppId">Microsoft.WindowsStore_8wekyb3d8bbwe!App</Data>
    <Data Name="ErrorCode">-1058340854</Data>
  </EventData>
</Event>

Anyway, none of the solutions I have found so far work, though they appear to work for everyone else. I have no idea what to do now short of re-installing. I will probably do that later today if no other solutions come to light, but I thought I should at least ask if anyone knows of any other solutions before I take that step (and if a fresh install doesn't work, I don't know what I'll do...).

Question Info

Last updated April 18, 2019 Views 61,373 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi Mark,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community, we appreciate your interest in Windows 10.

As you have most of the troubleshooting step, Isuggest you to try the below and check if the issue is resolved.

Method 1: I suggest you to run the Windows Store Apps troubleshooter.

Windows Store Apps Troubleshooter, troubleshoots problems that may prevent Windows Store Apps from working correctly.

Follow the below steps:

1. Type troubleshooting in the search bar on the Taskbar. 

2. Select Troubleshooting.

3. Select View all on the top left corner.

4. Click on Windows Store Apps.

5. Select “Advance” and click on “Run as Administrator”.

6. Click “Next” and follow the on-screen instructions to complete the troubleshooting process.

Also, Run the troubleshooter for Windows apps online troubleshooter.

If the issue still persists,

Method 2: If that does not help, you may convert the Microsoft account to a Local account and back to Microsoft account and check if you are then able to run the apps:

Step 1: To convert the account, you can do the following:

1. Sign in to your Microsoft account on Windows 10.

2. Click Start and then PC settings.

3. Click Users and accounts and under Your Profile click Disconnect on the right of the screen.

4. Enter your Microsoft account's password, and click on Next.

5. Type in a Username, Password, and Password Hint that you want set for your Local account and click Next. Click on Sign out and Finish button.

Step 2: In order to switch back, follow these steps:

1. On the newly converted Local account, click Start and then PC Settings.

2. Click Users and accounts and under Your Profile click Connect to a Microsoft account.

3. Enter the Microsoft account ID and Password and click Next.

4. Choose if you want OneDrive as your default file saving location, click Next.

5. Click Switch.

Hope it helps. Kindly update the status of this issue with required information, we will be happy to help you further.

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

I guess I forgot one of the solutions I had found on line. Yes, I had tried running the Windows Troubleshooter on the App Store as you describe. It found no issues.

When I first opened the store, I was running as a Local Account, so it did not even work at that time. I then converted to a Windows Account and the store still did not work. I suppose I could switch back to a local account again and try again, and then switch back to a Windows account once again, and try yet again, but since it did not work as a local account the first time, I doubt it will again.

Sorry this didn't help.

Me as well. Tried all you listed, nothing works. Already downloaded Windows store apps just instantaneously crash upon launch. One awesome example is the Windows Photos app (Microsoft's own). I can't open any photos at all. Just instacrash. There are many others as well. On my desktop computer (different than this laptop) the Windows Store itself won't launch. Instacrash as well.

Nice.

4 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Nothing else worked, so I re-installed Windows 10 using the "Reset this PC" option under Settings -> Recovery. After it finished, Windows Store, and related apps, would open. I have most of my programs reinstalled now and Windows Store still works.

So hopefully that was it. If all else fails, I guess re-install is the only option.

I just hope it doesn't happen again...

Sorry this didn't help.

Nothing else worked, so I re-installed Windows 10 using the "Reset this PC" option under Settings -> Recovery. After it finished, Windows Store, and related apps, would open. I have most of my programs reinstalled now and Windows Store still works.

So hopefully that was it. If all else fails, I guess re-install is the only option.

I just hope it doesn't happen again...

Same problem.  Uninstalled the app I was having problem with and somehow reloaded it the first time it happened. Seemed to work for a week or so. Now all apps open and then immediately close. Reset will be an effort for me to try, but I see no other workable option. Hope I don't loose other programs sorry apps.....

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

I've spent close to two hours trying to fix this problem of not being able to download any apps.  I trouble-shot, I wsreset.exe, and I scoured the internet looking for a solution to this Windows 10 problem.  I'm not willing to reset my computer and having to reinstall all my programs just to get apps.  I'm defeated. 

9 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Loujul,

As you are not able to download the apps after running wsreset and some other troubleshooting steps, I suggest you to re-register Windows store and check if it helps. Follow the suggestions in Method 3 provided by Giridhar J on August 25, 2015 in the below thread to re-register Windows store.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-windows_store/error-code-0x80070002-while-installing-apps-from/6f9a474f-3685-4baa-b12a-163e5934e553

Kindly let us know if you need any further assistance with the issue. We are glad to assist you.

Thank you.

Thanks and regards.
T Kiran Kishore.
Forum Moderator OneDrive, Support Engineer.

Sorry this didn't help.

Considering the # of people, myself included, having this issue, why isn't Windows doing something to figure out what's Wrong to provide a fix, or if they are, why not let us know? frustrating that we're required to spend hours Seeking solution when it's clearly not a problem with every one of our computers. Even more frustrating is your suggestion to reset our computers.

482 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Most certainly agree with your comments. For me the average user, I don't want to have to go through some complex process that can ony be performed and understood by a computer engineer. Very disappointing that all the high paid smart people that Microsoft hires cant make apps work.

6 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

I've tried these steps and it didn't help me.... and I'm having this problem having just done a refresh then a reset on this computer (an i7 Surface Pro 4). For context: I did the reset (yeh, that's a complete re-install with complete erase) as I couldn't open the start menu and found a powershell script here that was supposed to fix it... it did give me access to the start menu again but it ruined the windows store and all the apps (including maps, people, surface app, etc) I had from there (they had no icons and weird names). I ended up doing a reset which has now left me with a completely wiped PC but with all the default apps and app store icons... but none of them open. Clicking on any of them flashes up a window very briefly, then it vanishes. Running wsreset.exe as mentioned elsewhere also just yields an error.

When it works, I love the Surface and Windows 10, but this is a £1800 Microsoft built machine that currently has less functionality that the Pro 2 it's supposed to be replacing. I've had it just less than a month now but already I've had to do 4 total resets because of Windows 10 updates that have rendered it useless - yeh, it was following a forced restart after an update that my original start menu problem started.

4 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.