Help with 0x80073cf9 on Windows 10

I am reposting this because I have not received another response to my questions for a week and I am still having trouble downloading apps. I have tried some of the fixes shown for Windows 8.1 but they haven't worked and I haven't found anything for Windows 10. Is there a more specific fix related to this operating system? I am trying to avoid a clean install.

This was what I was asked to do last time:

Annu Singh replied on                            

Hi,

Welcome to Microsoft Community. Your interest in Windows 10 is much appreciated. 

Try the below methods and check if that helps:

Method 1: Run the SFC.

Follow the below steps:

1. Open Command Prompt.
  1. Select “Run as Administrator”.
  2. Type “sfc /scannow” without quotes and hit Enter.

Now check for the issue.

Method 2: Try repairing the store and check if it helps:

1. Press WinKEY + X or put the mouse in the lower left corner

2. Open the Command Prompt (Run as Administrator)

3. Type in WSReset.exe and hit enter.

4. Type the following in a Command Window (CMD) to re-register the Store App:

powershell -ExecutionPolicy Unrestricted Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register $Env:SystemRoot\WinStore\AppxManifest.XML

If the above method doesn’t fix the issue perform Method 3.

Method 3:

Follow the below steps:

•Open Powershell as administrator

•Run the command

Get-appxprovisionedpackage –online | where-object {$_.packagename –like “*windowscommunicationsapps*”} | remove-appxprovisionedpackage –online

The first found no problems, the 2nd method fails because it can't find AppxManifest.xml which from looking around here seems to be the common results when people are asked to do this. The third item completed but didn't solve the problem.

Any other ideas? If I rolled back to windows 7 would I be able to reinstall 10 and if so would that possibly fix this issue?

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi Jon,

I do appreciate your time and efforts.

Do not worry, will assist you with the issue.

Restart the computer and check. Also, check for Windows updates.

Run the troubleshooter for Windows apps:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/run-the-troubleshooter-for-windows-apps

Check for updates for apps from Windows Store and install if you find any.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/check-for-updates-for-apps-and-games-from-windows-store#

Try to run the following commands and check if it helps.

1.  Type CMD in Search. Right click on it to run as an administrator.

2. Type the following 4 commands at the CMD prompt:

WSReset.exe.

dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

sfc /scannow

powershell

Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers |Where-Object {$_.InstallLocation -like "*SystemApps*"} | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}

1. Close the CMD window.

2. Check to see if the issue is resolved. If not, restart the PC.

Use the System File Checker tool to repair missing or corrupted system files:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833

Hope this helps in resolving the issue. If the issue persists, do get back to us. We will be happy to assist you.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Ok I tried what you suggested. Unfortunately some of it can't be completed because the Windows Store won't open since I installed the latest Windows Update. The app troubleshooter did not find any issues, the dism completed successfully, the System File Checker came back clean.  I did notice when I ran the powershell  script it came up with a lot of error messages which mainly said deployment failed with HRESULT:  0x80073cf9.

I am attaching a screen shot of the result:

SO as it stands, I can't verify whether this helped or not because of the Windows Store not opening now, but based on the results above I am thinking when I do get Store working again I will still have same problem.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Well I got the store to open again, redid the steps above. Same results. Apps are not downloading.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have been dealing with this issue for some time as well on windows 10 with no resolve.  Tonight I figured I would try to come at this with a different approach.  Seems as thought the problem we are seeing is more related to patching of the user environment.  Please try these steps and see if this resolves your issue.

1. Create a additional local account on the computer.  Make this account a system administrator using the Settings > Accounts >Family & Other Users > Other Users > "Add someone else to this PC" > "I don't have this persons sign-in information". Fill in the information.  Once the information is complete you will find the user name under the "Other Users" fold on the Accounts page.  Click on this user and make sure they are identified as Administrator - Local account. (If not this can be done by clicking the Change account type and accepting the change.

2. Once the user is created, switch over to this user. You will see many of the store apps work in this profile.  I feel that is where the problem is occurring.  Your user profile is corrupted due to a update.  If this did not work for you, well... I am sorry, back to the drawing board. (You can stop at this point)

3. What this means is you will now have to re-create you profile, sign out as this "test user" and sign back in as you.  Spend the time to backup all your files/profile settings from the C:\Users\{username} folder. (You don't want to loose your files by proceeding without precaution.)

4. Once this step is complete, reboot the machine and log in as the "test user".  This will allow you to access your previous profile and remove it.  If it doesn't matter to you, you can also use this "test user".  Once in as the Test user, proceed to Settings > Accounts >Family & other users > Other users > click on the old account and click on Remove.  This will remove your old account! Make sure your ok with this.  Now that the account is removed, you can add the new account using the "Add someone else to this PC.  You should even be able to add the old account name.  This should resolve your issue.

I am glad I did this and not re-installed Windows, that would have been a mess.  I hope this helps everyone out there that might be pulling out their hair!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I do not understand why Microsoft cannot get store app right.

This is my second time to deal with this issue. Last time, I had to chat with a MS tech support and ended up reinstall Windows 10. The problem came back again.

I tried almost everything I can find on the Internet and it takes a lot of time.

run troubleshooter for apps (which did not complain anything)

wsreset, which some times gives an error saying ms-windows-store:PurgeCaches failed and did not solve the problem if it silently finished.

powershell commands, which gave tons of error messages that probably even the MS developers had hard time understanding them.

change the permissions of folders

try with a new account

rename \windows\softwaredistribution

sfc complains about some log files, but could not fix them.

Why cannot Microsoft check all these in troubleshooter?

5 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

OK. I did update with the media tool on Windows 10 upgrade pages.

The problems were still there.

Then I run wsreset several times until no error messages were reported.

Then I run the powershell command in earlier posts several times until only a few error messages (either higher version or resources being used).

Reboot the computer and I can see all App icons. However, all apps just cannot start. I saw a window opened and then closed immediately.

Create a new user. Have the same problems in the new account.

Try to run wsreset again and got this error message:

ms-windowstore-purchcache:

Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file

Now I suspect it is the file permission problems, but do not know which folder.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

The system went bad somehow and cannot even show the start menu, cannot start a browser (Edge, Chrome, Firefox).

I think the permissions of many folders got messed up. People actually experienced permission problems since Windows 7.

I did not want to waste more time trying to fix the problem and decided to do a clean installation. The problems are gone, for now. This is my second time to reinstall Windows 10 in five months.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Only a couple of days after a clean installation, I cannot launch store app again. It works on another account. Really frustrated.

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

After finding lots of threads in the internet, but all of them do NOT solve my issue at all, so many reasons may cause this issue, finally I decided to research it by self, and found a basic way to fix it:

To be simple, for example, you failed to launch, install or update Windows.Photo Windows Store application with the error: 0x80073cf9

Step#1:

Run a PowerShell as Administrator

Step#2:

Run the command:

Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers *Windows.Photo* | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}

Normally it will show some error, for example:

Add-AppxPackage : Deployment failed with HRESULT: 0x80073CF9, Install failed. Please contact your software vendor. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80073CF9)
NOTE: For additional information, look for [ActivityId] 6ecf1c34-c977-0003-d46d-cf6e77c9d101 in the Event Log or use the command line Get-AppxLog -ActivityID 6ecf1c34-c977-0003-d46d-cf6e77c9d101
At line:1 char:54
+ ...  | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.I ...
+                 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    + CategoryInfo          : WriteError: (C:\Program File...ppXManifest.xml:String) [Add-AppxPackage], IOException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : DeploymentError,Microsoft.Windows.Appx.PackageManager.Commands.AddAppxPackageCommand

Step#3:

Run the command mentioned in the error output:

Get-AppxLog -ActivityID 6ecf1c34-c977-0003-d46d-cf6e77c9d101

It may output:

6/19/2016 1:26:43 AM      801          Opening registry key: Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Appx\AppxAllUserStore\\S-1-5-21-43146234-4003326531-1048601324-1001 failed with error: 0x80070002.
6/19/2016 1:26:43 AM      605          The last successful state reached was PackagesInUseRestarted. Failure occurred before reaching the next state VersionSuperceded.
6/19/2016 1:26:43 AM      827          Capability parsing started for the package Microsoft.Windows.Photos_16.325.12390.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe

Step#4:

Find why failed:

There is no the below key in registry

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Appx\AppxAllUserStore\\S-1-5-21-43146234-4003326531-1048601324-1001

Create it! Then everything become ok in my PC.

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I am still having this issue. I found out it has something to do with applocker but still stuck witch the problem. I tried the following steps too: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-windows_store/applocker-blocks-windows-store-apps-downloads/43dbf634-c497-4108-bcaf-b823cee3cf08?auth=1

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated February 25, 2021 Views 15,182 Applies to: