Error 0x80070490 when trying to install/upgrade applications dependent on Microsoft.VCLibs.140

I am looking for a new way to fix the issue explained below. I have already tried wsreset.exe and re-registering packages using Add-AppXPackage. This is not an issue with Windows Update itself, as there are plenty of other applications that can install and update. That said...

For every application in the store that fails to install for me (other profiles on the same machine work fine) with the 0x80070490 code there is a dependency on Microsoft Visual C++

2015 Runtime Package, which fails to install first. In the event viewer under the System Log I can see the following: 

EventData 
  errorCode            0x80070490 
  updateTitle          Microsoft Visual C++ 2015 Runtime Package 
  updateGuid           {C880122D-B3DF-412C-A824-E0566D268D0E} 
  updateRevisionNumber 
  serviceGuid          {855E8A7C-ECB4-4CA3-B045-1DFA50104289

I have tried using Process Monitor (filtered on InstallAgent.exe and svchost.exe), but nothing stands out. I started looking at the HTTP traffic and noticed that the request is actually trying to install 14.0.23725. Using Get-AppXPackage I can see that this dependency is newer than mine.

Name              : Microsoft.VCLibs.140.00
Publisher         : CN=Microsoft Corporation, O=Microsoft Corporation, L=Redmond, S=Washington, C=US
Architecture      : X64
ResourceId        :
Version           : 14.0.22929.0
PackageFullName   : Microsoft.VCLibs.140.00_14.0.22929.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe
InstallLocation   : C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.VCLibs.140.00_14.0.22929.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe
IsFramework       : True
PackageFamilyName : Microsoft.VCLibs.140.00_8wekyb3d8bbwe
PublisherId       : 8wekyb3d8bbwe
IsResourcePackage : False
IsBundle          : False
IsDevelopmentMode : False

Publisher         : CN=Microsoft Corporation, O=Microsoft Corporation, L=Redmond, S=Washington, C=US
Architecture      : X86
ResourceId        :
PackageFullName   : Microsoft.VCLibs.140.00_14.0.22929.0_x86__8wekyb3d8bbwe
InstallLocation   : C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.VCLibs.140.00_14.0.22929.0_x86__8wekyb3d8bbwe

Is there anyway anyone can think of that could fix this issue?

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Sorry Sachin, but am I the only one who thinks this is an unacceptable solution?

I am having the exact same error with this blasted 0x80070490 error code to every store app that I am trying to update, and having to do a complete repair of Windows seems like a cracking a walnut with a sledgehammer approach.

This problem is widely reported by many other forum users, and Microsoft has not come up with any actual solution to what I see as a major issue with their primary mechanism to distributing new apps and functionality to Windows 10. If Apple had this type of problem with their App Store you can bet they would be shifting heaven and earth to get to the bottom of the issue and getting a solution out there ASAP.

I know my installation of Windows 10 is sound as I do not experience this problem when I login to Windows on the same device using a different (backup) account. I was hoping that updating the Store app via this method would fix the problem for my primary account, but no, the issue still remains after successfully upgrading all apps (including the Store app) via my backup account.

Is there no other way to totally erase the Store credentials for a particular user account and force them to be refreshed on logging in again? I have tried deleting the store directory as per all the standard MS suggestions, and WSReset does absolutely nothing.

I have a whole lot of MS Store credit that I cannot use because I cannot purchase any apps because this blasted Store app is so busted. MS won't be receiving any app revenue from me until this problem is resolved completely.

HELP!

Thankyou.

Martin.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Sorry Sachin, but am I the only one who thinks this is an unacceptable solution?

I am having the exact same error with this blasted 0x80070490 error code to every store app that I am trying to update, and having to do a complete repair of Windows seems like a cracking a walnut with a sledgehammer approach.

This problem is widely reported by many other forum users, and Microsoft has not come up with any actual solution to what I see as a major issue with their primary mechanism to distributing new apps and functionality to Windows 10. If Apple had this type of problem with their App Store you can bet they would be shifting heaven and earth to get to the bottom of the issue and getting a solution out there ASAP.

I know my installation of Windows 10 is sound as I do not experience this problem when I login to Windows on the same device using a different (backup) account. I was hoping that updating the Store app via this method would fix the problem for my primary account, but no, the issue still remains after successfully upgrading all apps (including the Store app) via my backup account.

Is there no other way to totally erase the Store credentials for a particular user account and force them to be refreshed on logging in again? I have tried deleting the store directory as per all the standard MS suggestions, and WSReset does absolutely nothing.

I have a whole lot of MS Store credit that I cannot use because I cannot purchase any apps because this blasted Store app is so busted. MS won't be receiving any app revenue from me until this problem is resolved completely.

HELP!

Thankyou.

Martin.

Why can we not reset a user profile to a newly created position for the apps,and store, a new user profile works

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I am looking for a new way to fix the issue explained below. I have already tried wsreset.exe and re-registering packages using Add-AppXPackage. This is not an issue with Windows Update itself, as there are plenty of other applications that can install and update. That said...

For every application in the store that fails to install for me (other profiles on the same machine work fine) with the 0x80070490 code there is a dependency on Microsoft Visual C++

2015 Runtime Package, which fails to install first. In the event viewer under the System Log I can see the following: 

EventData 
  errorCode            0x80070490 
  updateTitle          Microsoft Visual C++ 2015 Runtime Package 
  updateGuid           {C880122D-B3DF-412C-A824-E0566D268D0E} 
  updateRevisionNumber 
  serviceGuid          {855E8A7C-ECB4-4CA3-B045-1DFA50104289

I have tried using Process Monitor (filtered on InstallAgent.exe and svchost.exe), but nothing stands out. I started looking at the HTTP traffic and noticed that the request is actually trying to install 14.0.23725. Using Get-AppXPackage I can see that this dependency is newer than mine.

Architecture      : X64
ResourceId        :
PackageFullName   : Microsoft.VCLibs.140.00_14.0.22929.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe
InstallLocation   : C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.VCLibs.140.00_14.0.22929.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe

Architecture      : X86
ResourceId        :
PackageFullName   : Microsoft.VCLibs.140.00_14.0.22929.0_x86__8wekyb3d8bbwe
InstallLocation   : C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.VCLibs.140.00_14.0.22929.0_x86__8wekyb3d8bbwe

Is there anyway anyone can think of that could fix this issue?

I have recently found a simpler solution, so I will just leave it here...

I found it thanks to this feedback message:

feedback-hub:?contextid=319&feedbackid=0664ce32-7d79-4c58-a61a-f16fc2bb1bae&form=1&src=2

Ok, in order to be able to install your apps correctly, you need to go to Settings/System/Storage and change the setting that says 'New apps will save to:' and select the drive where Windows is installed.

I think that external storage support is still a bit on the rough side... I will send some feedback to MS as well.

Please remember to mark this as helpful so that others can try as well.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated September 6, 2023 Views 11,792 Applies to: