Assigned Access Mode not working properly in Windows 10

Hi there,

I programmed a Windows 8 Store App a while ago, which has to run in Assigned Access Mode. This works fine in Windows 8.

Now I upgraded to Windows 10 and tested if everything is still working. The App is running okay, but the Assigned Access Mode is not.

If I lock the screen (Ctrl+Alt+Del) and then log in to my Assigned Access user again, most of the time the desktop shows (which should not happen), then the screen goes black for a while and I come back to the lock screen. If I log in again, either the same thing happens or it works and the Apps starts right away.

Sometimes the App just freezes and the screen goes black and after a while it changes to the lock screen - but the App does not crash or throw an Exception. When I log in again the App has been restarted (or the phenomenon described above occurs)

I tried to reproduce this with Apps that were shipped with Windows 10, and it occured too.

Is this a Bug in Windows 10? If yes, when will it be fixed?

Question Info

Last updated July 2, 2019 Views 2,737 Applies to:

Hi Katho,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I understand the inconvenience caused to you. I will be glad to assist you with your issue.

I would suggest you to run System Maintenance Troubleshooter and check if it helps:

1. Press Windows + X key. 
  2. Select Control panel.
  3. In the search box, type Troubleshooter and then click Troubleshooting.
  4. Under System and Security,
  5. Click on System Maintenance and Click on Next button.

For reference: Desktop screen flashes on and off

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-start/desktop-screen-flashes-on-and-off/f89612bb-7ee3-4f35-84a4-4ae6125c614b?tm=1440081331553&auth=1

And if you are facing issues with Windows app then I suggest you to run the Troubleshooter for Windows App and see if it helps to resolve the issue.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/run-the-troubleshooter-for-windows-apps

Hope the above information was helpful. If you need further assistance, please do let us know and we would be happy to help you.

Thank you.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi,

thanks for your reply.

I ran the System Maintenance and I also did a SFC Scan - no results.

I also tried to reproduce this on an other Windows 10 PC and the problems were the same.

As I stated above, I also used a Standard Windows App in Assigned Access Mode and the problems were there too, so I am relatively sure it is not my App that is causing those problems.

Sorry this didn't help.

Is there any new information available?

Sorry this didn't help.

I am still waiting for an answer from a Microsoft Official.

We need this functionality for our product, otherwise we cannot release our Store App for customers using Windows 10.

Sorry this didn't help.

Katho2404,

I'm running into the same issue. Using Windows 10 Enterprise on an HP Stream 7, plug an account into assigned access targeting the default News app -- unpredictable results like the app momentarily loading, then going back and forth to a black screen, or sending me back to a login/lock screen.  Let me know if you've made any progress.

Sorry this didn't help.

Also, I found this report of similar issues:

http://pogueman.tumblr.com/post/128346662032/13-windows-10-bugs-microsoft-needs-to-fix-right

"Only one problem: It’s super flaky. When you log in with the specified account, the screen blinks black weirdly and even shows you the supposedly off-limits desktop for a second.

Worse, on tablets there’s no way to get out of kiosk mode. Microsoft’s help screens say you can press the Windows key five times to exit, but it doesn’t work. You have to restart the computer to get out of Assigned Access."

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

Welcome to Microsoft Community.

I appreciate your interest in windows 10 and also for trying the troubleshooting steps to fix the issue. I understand the inconvenience you faced. I will help you with this.

I need more information about this issue so that I can assist you better.

1. What is the make and model of your computer?

2. Have you logged in as an admin account?

3. Which account are you using the Microsoft account or a Local account?

4. Have you installed all the latest windows update?

5. Do you get any error code or error message?

Let us know the answers of the above questions so that we can assist you better.

Thanks.

Sorry this didn't help.

I'm seeing the exact same issue with my Lenovo ThinkPad Tablet. I have setup a local user account in assigned access. When I log as that user, the app loads and runs normally. After about 30 seconds of not interacting with the app, the screen turns off!!! This is terrible for assigned access / kiosk mode, it renders the experience useless. I have my display settings configured to never turn the display off but this doesn't seem to apply to assigned access mode. Pressing the power button does bring the app back, but it's reset to the apps main screen. This needs to be fixed ASAP!

Sorry this didn't help.

I've done some more debugging and this is what I've concluded. The screen turns off after 30 seconds of no interaction in Assigned Access mode. It pretty much makes Assigned Access mode useless. I've tried this on multiple devices with the same result (all upgraded from Windows 8.1). The Power & sleep settings can be set to any amount (15 min, 1 hour), the screen always turns off in 30 seconds. The only workaround I found was to set the screen turn off to "Never" but that drains the battery when the device is not in use.

Sorry this didn't help.