Unable to install apps in Windows Store. Error code: 0x8004e10e

Since the recent big Windows (Anniversary) update, I can't update or install new apps on Windows Store. The error code that appears is 0x8004e10e. The existing apps (e.g. Calculator, Photos, Calendar etc) all have updates that won't work, and all close immediately upon opening them.

On trying to open an app, I get the same error code in the Event Viewer - 

...failed with error: Unknown HResult Error code: 0x8004e10e See the Microsoft-Windows-TWinUI/Operational log for additional information.

I've tried:

- Checking for more Windows updates.. there are none.

- A system restore to before the Anniversary update, but I got a message saying it couldn't complete the restore.

- Running the Windows Apps Troubleshooter (Appsdiagnostic10 file). It made me create a hotmail account, then it reset the cache. Didn't help.

- Running /sfc scannow but it showed no problems.

- Running wsreset.exe but it didn't change anything.

- Manually resetting the calculator (Settings->System->Apps & Features->Calculator->Advanced->Reset). No change.

- Creating a new user account. No change.

- Running

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Scanhealth  

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth

in an elevated command prompt. No problems found and no change.

Help!

Answer
Answer

This may be caused by a corrupted Windows Store file that's necessary for it to run normally. The best actions we can take are detailed below:

1) Reset the Windows Store app.

• Press the Windows key and type Apps & features.
  • Click on it and type Store in the Search bar.
  • Click on Store, then choose Advanced options, then Reset.

2) Uninstall and reinstall the Windows Store using PowerShell.

Uninstalling the Windows Store App

• Press the Windows key and type Windows PowerShell, then right-click on it and choose Run as administrator.
  • Type this command to find Windows Store information we'll need later: Get-AppxPackage -name *store*
  • Find InstallLocation and paste the content onto Notepad. It should look like this:
  • Now, paste this command to uninstall the Windows Store app: Get-AppxPackage Microsoft.WindowsStore | Remove-AppxPackage

Reinstalling the Windows Store App

• Paste this command and replace InstallLocationContent with the content we pasted onto Notepad: Add-AppxPackage -register "C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\InstallLocationContent\AppxManifest.xml" -DisableDevelopmentMode
  • This PowerShell command will reinstall the Windows Store. Once finished, restart your computer.

Note: When copying the content, "InstallLocation:" should be excluded.

We'll be here if you need more help.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated April 11, 2021 Views 2,206 Applies to: