Windows KB3189866 download freezing in Windows 10 1607

Hi,

I have been unable to complete the download for the September 13 Windows Cumulative Update for Windows 10 version 1607 X64,

KB 3189866, as it gets stuck at 45% complete for the download. I have the anniversary edition of Windows 10, Google Chrome browser.

I ran Windows Update repair and there was no issue found.

I tried to look for this update on the Windows Download site, but I can't find update KB 3189866 anywhere, so unable to try a manual update.

I am guessing there there is an issue with the latest update, and it may have been pulled from the site, waiting a new update to be issues to replace it?

Otherwise, can anyone tell me the path in the Windows Update site to find this update, as it won't automatically download for me?

Thanks

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Similarly, mine freezes at 46%.

Looks like yet another bad patch from Microsoft.

I hope they re-release it soon in a form that will actually download and install.

If you think development is tough now, try doing it on punched cards :-)

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Same problem here! frozen at 46%

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

go to  g.hacks.net typr inkb3189866 it will download manually

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Really fed up with all the errors!

This is really disgusting that this is still happening in 2016. So many constant failed updates have been released it is beyond laughable. The complete service is unfit for purpose. So much joy, fun and work lost due to the constant researching MS errors. Please stop all whistles and bells and give users a base product that is solid and reliable. Users and third parties should not have to repair or locate workarounds for MS issues, as they should be fully tested and secured before release with standards and quality being to of the list. Every month for over a two year period solid of broken/corrupted Windows Updates has to be some sort of record. Any other field with such flaws and errors would be shut down.

Rant over, for now.

FIX!! Using the Softpedia (huge thanks guys) website to locate KB3189866 manually and download (which has been reported and discussed via lots of other users in the Microsoft section of the site) as the official Windows Update Catalogue site does not work in Windows 10 and the so called official support page for KB3189866 fails  So users can not even perform a manual update via official sources and are forced to use third party sites to get Microsoft products to work, yet again.

After Download and Install, Restart system and open Windows Update again. You will see the failed update logged with error codes and the option to Retry. Select Retry, Four new updates are now offered which hang for a minute or four at the 'Preparing to install' stage but do go through and complete as successful.

The amount of time and effort for this is disgusting, not forgetting to mention the invasion of my home life with loss of family time and personal pleasure. No movies with partner, no XBoxing gaming for me due to having to repair broken Microsoft.

Hope this helps

Have a great day!

Who knew?...Software is only limited by the user!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks for the replies! Uneasy about third-party sites, so I will wait a bit first to see if Microsoft sends out a patch.

Thanks again!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I will NOT use a third-party site...very dangerous!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have one machine stuck at 45% and another at 80%.  Troubleshooting Update does nothing.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Just use Microsoft update catalog. No third parties involved.

In the Cortana Search bar type Internet Explorer, yes you have to use this old browser, IE will appear at top of list. Start Internet Explorer.

Go to http://catalog.update.microsoft.com

In search Bar on web site type kb3189866

Select the version you want. Most people want the top item, 64 bit. Click add.

At the top click on your basket, there should be one item in it.

Give the window that opens a second or two and the click on "Download".

Place it in a folder you want.

Open the folder, then open the folder you just downloaded and double click on the file.

This starts the standalone installer. When installed reboot.

Again this is direct from Microsoft. No malware or other junk other than the fact you had to go through this to get updates.

Unbelievable !!  I done on three machines no issues.

Also see this link to run the troubleshooting routine built right into Win 10 for fixing broken updates. It may or may not help with KB3189866 so I would install manually but it is nice to know the vendor expects so many issues with updates they built a "RESET" process. Yea !!  (Oh I forgot, if it says it can't fix Database Corruption just run again, the Troubleshooter doesn't always work first time, good to know, updates don't always work so why should tool.)

http://www.howtogeek.com/247380/how-to-fix-windows-update-when-it-gets-stuck/

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks for the info. Didn't work the first time I tried but rebooted and it installed the second time.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

There is a link to Microsoft Update Catalog also at https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3189866 but thanks for the comprehensive instructions.

Microsoft does not seem to be fully Microsoft compatible:

When I just copy & pasted your link to MUC to Edge I got "You’ve stumbled upon some vintage web tech

This website runs on older technology and will only work in Internet Explorer. "

When I searched for "Microsoft Update Catalog" (Edge / Google) and clicked on the first link I got

"To use this Web site's full functionality, you must be running Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.0 or later."

Apparently you can construct the search URL yourself and use any browser http://www.infoworld.com/article/3112862/microsoft-windows/how-to-check-the-microsoft-update-catalog-with-any-browser.html

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated January 1, 2018 Views 3,836 Applies to: