Windows 10 will not activate - been waiting for a week!

Updated following the windows icon that showed up in the taskbar - I was going from Windows 8.1 (activated and everything) - everything went smoothly, except it won't activate.  Spoke with tech support on Tuesday and Wednesday (case 1299015040) and was told that the error I am getting (0xC004C003) is not uncommon, and that the software should activate in a day or two.  I have tried rebooting numerous times.  Tried entering my key from Windows 8 (obviously didn't work) and have tried manually entering the key that Windows 10 currently has for my machine (fails and says to check the store, etc.) - tried re-running slui 4 (they did that the first time I spoke with tech support) - called the number, entered the install ID, and the process failed to activate.

Has anyone been able to solve this issue?  I don't believe I have made any hardware changes since installing Windows 8 (which was updated to 8.1 when it came out, and is now updated to an unactivated Windows 10) - I updated from windows 8.1 Pro and am running 64 bit.

Found a couple of posts that suggested you need to roll back and re-upgrade if you see this error.  I went to try and do that and got the error "We're sorry, but you can't go back" and says the files it needs have been removed from the computer!  I have not run any disk cleaning programs or deleted anything from the windows folders - so now apparently I have to go reinstall windows 8, then upgrade to 8.1, then upgrade to 10?  what the heck!  Guess I'll just wait for it to update on it's own for a little while longer...

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Approaching 2 weeks now and still no fix.  What's the deal?  I can't roll back to 8.1, and can't get 10 to activate - does that mean I have to reinstall 8, let it update to 8.1, then update to 10 again?  Can you even install 8 on top of 10 without losing things?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

Sorry for the delay in response.

Error Code: 0xC004C003 means the activation server determined the specified product key is in use. This issue may occur if the MAK is blocked on the activation server.

Have a look at the following article links for more information:

How to troubleshoot Volume Activation error codes on Windows 7, Windows Server 2008 and Windows Vista-based computers

Refer to the following article on activation issues:

Why can't I activate Windows 10

Additional reference:

How to Activate and resolve common Product key issues in Windows 10

Get back to us for further help.

Ravinath P
Forum Moderator - Multiple Forums

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Well, this weekend will be 3 weeks.  I still have the error - contacted online chat on Monday, was given the same "it will activate on it's own, please wait 24 to 48 hours" explanation.  They checked the key and product id of my system and they are reporting as whatever the standard key is for when the "specified key is blocked" error happens.  They checked my Windows 8 key, and it came up properly as valid on the day I installed it (in 2013)...  it's not a multiple activation key...  I don't understand why when you talk to tech support and have a valid, upgradable key, they can't just generate or look up what the correct key is and activate the installation...  so I can't seem to activate, I can't roll back for some reason, and I have no idea why - I guess if I want to go back to 8.1 I need to reinstall 8, then patch to 8.1, but I am guessing you can't install 8 on top of 10...

really, really annoying.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated December 28, 2017 Views 160 Applies to: