Windows 10 upgrade key from Windows 7

I have gone thru the Windows 10 upgrade from my registered Windows 7 Ultimate machine. After completing the upgrade I searched and found my key ( under the impression that this key would be unique). I however have seen this key all over the internet and was upset to find that my key in not exclusive to me. I have found this key listed rseveral eputable site such at Betanews.com, winbeta, and a few others listing it as the key to Windows 10 pro.

If upgrading to Window 10 using my Windows 7 ultimate key gives me a key everyone else has or has access to causes great concern. I should have a unique key

I would like a key, and this key to be mine and unique to me and my computer

Same issue. Fresh Install of Windows 7.1 Pro (activated). Did inplace update with Windows 10. After Upgrade i got a activated Windows 10 but after checking the Key i got that generic one... VK7JG-NPHTM-C97JM-9MPGT-3V66T.

What happens if i try to reinstall Windows 10 with that generic Key?

Another thing. In Germany (and some other Countrys) you have the right to move the Installation to a new Computer. What happens if i use the generic Key on a new Computer?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

You don't actually need a key anymore. It's tied to your hardware ID and your pc just needs to be upgraded to windows 10 once in order for it to be activated for windows 10:

https://www.thurrott.com/windows/windows-10/5008/windows-10-tip-associate-your-pc-with-your-free-windows-10-license

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated November 17, 2019 Views 0 Applies to: