Windows 10 Upgrade from Windows 8.1 - Error Code 0xC1900101 - 0x20017 - Failed in the SAFE_OS Phase

I tried to upgrade my Windows 8.1 to Windows 10. I reserved it and when it is prompted I tried to upgrade. But it was failed. Upto to the updates, no issues.  When it is restarting, it get hanged.  

Again I used the  \$Windows - WS\Sources\Windows\Setup.exe to reinstall the upgrade.  Upto 100% it was updated and installed.  When restarting the same problem happens.  

The boot manager menu shows Windows Setup and Windows 8.1.  In MSCONFIG, Windows 8.1 is the default boot option.  I had given the minimum time 3 sec to restart.  Except Windows services, all others were disabled.  But nothing works.

In the boot menu, if I am clicking on the Windows Setup, just the Windows is appearing in the center of the screen and no running progress display.  It is getting hanged.  I have to manually force stop the system.  When I am getting back into Windows 8.1, I am getting a window showing the error as follows:

Windows couldn't install Windows 10

We've set your PC back to the way it was right before you started installing Windows 10.

0xC1900101 - 0x20017

The installation failed in the SAFE_OS phase with an error during BOOT operation.

Could anyone help me to solve this issue?  

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community. Appreciate your interest in using Windows 10.

The Error Code: 0xC1900101-0x20017 is usually caused by a driver bug check while rebooting the computer during the Windows 10 update installation process. Before we proceed, let me know, if you have any third party security program installed on the computer.

This error could be either due to the outdated device drivers or the conflicts from certain third party desktop utilities (For Example: Certain utilities from IOBit or Intel Desktop Utilities like including Extreme Tuning software but excluding Managed Engine) installed on the computer. You may try the following methods and check if that resolves the issue:

Method 1: Disconnect all the unnecessary external devices connected to the computer (except the mouse and the keyboard)

Please disconnect all the unnecessary external devices connected to the computer (except the mouse and the keyboard) and then check if you still face this issue while installing Windows 10. This is to check if the issue is caused by any external devices connected to the computer.

If that doesn’t help, then try the next method to update all the device drivers on the computer and check the status.

Method 2: Update the Device Drivers on the Computer.

Step 1: Check the Windows updates for any latest driver updates.

Check in Windows updates if any driver updates are available. If so, install the same and check if it helps.

a) Type “Updates” in the search bar and click on “Install optional updates” from the left pane.

b) From the “Windows Update” window, click on “Check for Updates” on the top left corner, to receive a fresh list of updates and then install all the updates listed there.

For any issues while installing Windows Updates, you may also refer to this link:

Troubleshoot problems with installing updates

If no driver updates are available via Windows Update, then you may install them for all the devices on the computer from the Computer Manufacturer’s website.

Step 2: Update Driver Software from the Manufacturer’s website:

Go to the computer manufacturer’s website and search for the latest Windows 10 drivers available for all the devices on the computer and then install them by following the instructions given in the website.

If the issue still persists, then check if you have any desktop utilities installed on the computer. If you have them installed, then please uninstall them and then try installing the update again. Please try the next method.

Method 3: Check for any Desktop Utilities from “Programs and Features”

a) Press “Windows Logo” + “X” keys on the keyboard and select “Programs and Features” from that list.

b) In the “Programs and Features” windows, search for any computer optimizing/tuning programs or utilities from the list of programs.

c) If present, then select it and click on “Uninstall”.

d) Follow the on-screen instructions and restart the computer.

e) Now start the Windows 10 installation again and check if that helps.

If the issue still persists, then let’s also perform a clean boot to check if there are any other conflicts on the computer.

Method 4: Perform a Clean Boot and find out which application/service is causing this issue.

A clean boot is performed to start Windows by using a minimal set of drivers and startup programs. This helps eliminate software conflicts that occur when you install a program or an update or when you run a program in Windows 10, Windows 8.1, Windows 8, Windows 7, or Windows Vista. You may also troubleshoot or determine what conflict is causing the problem by performing a clean boot.

* Place the computer in a Clean Boot and check if the issue is occurring due to any third party programs.

Follow the link to view the steps to perform Clean Boot:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929135

Disclaimer:  Start the computer in normal mode refer the section, "How to reset the computer to start normally after clean boot troubleshooting" from the link above.

Hope the information is helpful. Please revert with the necessary information and we will be happy to help you.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi

I tried all the methods you mentioned.  Nothing is working.  From a forum discussion, I found the following, a Microsoft Engineer wrote:

"We're aware of the problem and working on a solution. This is a hardware specific issue affecting a few Samsung models which are expecting a specific IOCTL to be set on boot."

And the above discussion link is:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/forum/insider_wintp-insider_install/i-can-not-install-windows-10-on-a-laptop-samsung/8ea46dea-b77f-42f7-b22f-6fcdfe080b26

Waiting for a solution sooner.

Sorry this didn't help.

Have installed Win 10 on two laptops running Win 8.1 Pro with no problems. When trying to install on my desktop I keep getting  "The installation failed in the Safe_OS phase with an error during Boot operation"  I have gone back and did a clean install of Win 8 Pro then a clean upgrade to Win 8.1 Pro. No problems. Windows 10 however will not install. Anyone have answers?
Joseph J Furtenbacher

Sorry this didn't help.

There are several reasons - see  Windows 10: Upgrade error 0xC1900101-0×20017/0×30017 if it helps
Blogs: http://www.borncity.com/blog /(Ger) - and - http://borncity.com/win/ (EN)

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated July 7, 2020 Views 1,430 Applies to: