Windows 10 upgrade fails on Windows 7 PC; error messages: VIDEO MEMORY MANAGEMENT INTERNAL and 0xC190019-0x400017

I have been trying to upgrade to Windows 10 from Windows 7 SP 1 on my Asus ET2701INKI without success. I have used three sources/methods: the downloaded ISO file, image of same burned on DVD, and from Windows Update. After 100% installation, a gray screen appears declaring a problem because of VIDEO MEMORY MANAGEMENT INTERNAL; a futile attempt is then made to recover the installation whereupon windows 7 is restored with a dark blue box appeared with the error code 0xC190019-0x400017. 
After updating all my drivers and running a highly-rated Registry fixing program to no avail, I even went so far as to upgrade Windows 7 with a newly bought copy, after which the Windows 10 upgrade from the ISO download actually succeeded' but when I did an unrelated reboot, the same screen with the VIDEO MEMORY MANAGEMENT INTERNAL message appeared. Nothing worked to fix the problem; only turning off the machine and on again triggered a restoration to Windows 7.
I have searched the web, called Asus for help to no avail. What little I found suggested doing the windows 10 install with Virus software uninstalled and all peripherals disconnected; both "remedies" I tried without success.

David

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi David,

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community. Let me try and help you with the issue you are facing.

The VIDEO_MEMORY_MANAGEMENT_INTERNAL, indicates that the video memory manager has encountered a condition that it is unable to recover from.

This bug check is usually caused by a video driver behaving improperly.

I suggest you to install the latest version of video card drivers from the manufacturer's website and check if it helps.

You may also install available Windows Updates and see if it makes any difference.

Also, for the error code 0xC190019-0x400017, refer the links below and check if it helps.

How to: Troubleshoot common Setup and Stop Errors during Windows 10 Installation
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/wiki/insider_wintp-insider_install/how-to-troubleshoot-common-setup-and-stop-errors/324d5a5f-d658-456c-bb82-b1201f735683 

How to: A list of things to do if Windows 10 Setup fails. 
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/wiki/insider_wintp-insider_install/how-to-a-list-of-things-to-do-if-windows-10-setup/eba3c864-d9fe-4f8e-9468-81b1f89473ed

Please update us with the status. We will be glad to assist you.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks ThofikhAhamad for your reply.

My message indicated that I  tried almost all of the suggested relevant steps in the links you provide. And, my video card, the  NVIDIA GeForce GT 640M, has been updated to an inch of its life. What else can I do? Neither the Asus not nVidia web sites are any help.

David

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hey guys I actually fixed my Asus ET2701INKI, with very success without bsod screen, you may need done follow procedure:

1. Need clean Install windows 10/64 pro edition

2. disable NVidia 640M card in the devices manger

3. you well get bsod screen due to direct x 12 error because power VIDEO MEMORY MANAGEMENT INTERNAL

4 uninstall NVidia driver without delete current driver

5. from asus support site download windows 8 32/64bits NVidia driver

6. start use windows 10 install windows 8 early version driver.

I have not test on games, but good lucks :)

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I did not try Lonnie2016's radical solution, but it planted a simpler one: I just uninstalled the nVidia driver and ran the Windows 10 .ISO upgrade. It worked. The nVidia driver was replaced by what I assume is a generic Microsoft display driver, and when I rashly updated it and rebooted what I described in my original post happened, and Windows 10 failed to boot, going through all sorts of possible recovery and repair options, none of which worked. Finally I was able to restore Windows 7.

Simple logic, if simple logic applies to Windows, seems to point to the NVIDIA GeForce GT 640M driver as the problem. So, I will run the upgrade again (with nVidia driver uninstalled) and content myself with the Windows driver until a solution is found; as I do not use the PC for games, it probably will not make much difference. 

David

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

It tuned out not to be so straightforward! Windows itself updated to the GT 640M driver. So, in order to keep Windows 10 running, the only "solution" I have come up with is to uninstall that driver every time I startup or reboot the computer.

Surely some time soon, either nVidia of Microsoft will come up with a fix for this. On the former's Forum, other people are complaining about the same problem.

David

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Windows 10 does not crash with a VIDEO_MEMORY_MANAGEMENT_INTERNAL
error with the Nvidia driver from ASUS web site (version 9.18.13.546 7/31/12) after
required restart. Available Here: http://www.asus.com/us/AllinOne_PCs/ET2701INKI/HelpDesk_Download/

Windows 10 update wants to install version 10.18.13.5362
7/22/15 which crashes with the VIDEO_MEMORY_MANAGEMENT_INTERNAL error
on required restart.

This means you need to roll back the driver in safe mode and restart again

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Today (9/26/2015) I discovered Nvidia released another Win 10 64 driver for my GeForce GT 640 M (version355.98) on 9/22/2015.
Some strange things when I installed it.
When all was done, I still get the VIDEO_MANAGEMENT_INTERNAL error on restart or shutdown and start.
BUT when I rollback in safe mode and restart, no error and the Device Manager says the new driver is still installed and working properly.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Nvidia online support

tony bowman: Hello. I have been on a Microsoft windows 10 insider thread for over a year now concerning loading Windows 10 (currently W8.1) on an Asus et2701i all in one computer. The main difficulty we have is finding a working driver for our GEForce GT 640M card. Are there any plans to update this driver for this machine?
tony bowman: Here is a link to the thread. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-update/dont-install-windows-10-on-a-asus-et2701i-all-in/9c098d39-3809-4e79-9f1d-76f2a4d19d77
Yeshwanth: I am sorry for the Inconvenience, I will try my best to solve this issue for you.
Yeshwanth: One moment, let me check.
Yeshwanth: http://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/115491/en-us
Yeshwanth: Please try this driver
Yeshwanth: It is for GT 640M windows 10 64 bit
tony bowman: Could you provide me with a little more information before I try it as this will take me all day to try out. Were NVidia aware of this issue and has this driver resolved the problem. The forum link suggests that the issue still exists and the only solution is to disable your card and use the internal on board video instead?

Yeshwanth: It could be due to conflict on Windows 10 build versions and NVIDIA drivers.
Yeshwanth: But most of them should have been fixed with the latest version of drivers now.
tony bowman: Should! Were NVidia aware of this issue. Have you looked at the thread?
Yeshwanth: Not this one in specific
Yeshwanth: I will have this checked with the back end team and get back to you
tony bowman: Ok thank you Yeshwanth. Please read the thread and make NVidia aware of the issue.
Yeshwanth: :) Yes sure
tony bowman: Should I go now and wait for a reply? You have my details
Yeshwanth: Yes, We will reply to (details removed)
tony bowman: OK. Thank you for listening to the report. Bye for now.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Nvidia online support

tony bowman: Hello. I have been on a Microsoft windows 10 insider thread for over a year now concerning loading Windows 10 (currently W8.1) on an Asus et2701i all in one computer. The main difficulty we have is finding a working driver for our GEForce GT 640M card. Are there any plans to update this driver for this machine?
tony bowman: Here is a link to the thread. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-update/dont-install-windows-10-on-a-asus-et2701i-all-in/9c098d39-3809-4e79-9f1d-76f2a4d19d77
Yeshwanth: I am sorry for the Inconvenience, I will try my best to solve this issue for you.
tony bowman: Could you provide me with a little more information before I try it as this will take me all day to try out. Were NVidia aware of this issue and has this driver resolved the problem. The forum link suggests that the issue still exists and the only solution is to disable your card and use the internal on board video instead?

Yeshwanth: It could be due to conflict on Windows 10 build versions and NVIDIA drivers.
Yeshwanth: But most of them should have been fixed with the latest version of drivers now.
tony bowman: Should! Were NVidia aware of this issue. Have you looked at the thread?
tony bowman: Ok thank you Yeshwanth. Please read the thread and make NVidia aware of the issue.

I have had this problem ever since upgrading to Windows 10. I was about to detail my experience but when I tried the latest driver from Nvidia (378.78 released today 3/9/2017) available here:

http://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/115892/en-us

and what do you know, no BSOD VMMI !!!! So perhaps you got them to finally fix it !!!!!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Nvidia online support

I have had this problem ever since upgrading to Windows 10. I was about to detail my experience but when I tried the latest driver from Nvidia (378.78 released today 3/9/2017) available here:

http://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/115892/en-us

and what do you know, no BSOD VMMI !!!! So perhaps you got them to finally fix it !!!!!

Also: and now I am able to upgrade to the Anniversary Version (1607 14393.693). (VMMI errors had ben preventing me.)

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated March 27, 2021 Views 14 Applies to: