windows 10 upgrade failed with 0x80073B92 - 0x20009 failed in the SAFE OS phase

bob

Question Info

Last updated December 5, 2019 Views 13,476 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

• Disable (preferrably uninstall) your Antivirus utility before attempting the upgrade.
  • Restart a few times and try again.
  • Disable General USB Devices (example - Smart Card Reader). 
  • If you are using a SCSI hard disk, make sure you have drivers available for your storage device on a thumdrive and it is connected. During Windows 10 setup, click the Custom Advanced Option and use the Load Driver command to load the appropriate driver for the SCSI drive. If this does not work and setup still fails, consider switching to a IDE based hard disk.
  • Do a clean boot and try again.
  • If you are upgrading using the .ISO file, disconnect from the Internet during setup, if you are connected by LAN (Ethernet) or Wi-Fi, disable both and attempt setup again. 
  • If you are updating through Windows Update, when the download reaches 100% disconnect from the Internet LAN (Ethernet) or Wi-Fi and proceed with the installation.
  • If that does not work, try using the .ISO file to upgrade if possible.
  • If you are connected to a domain, switch to a local account
  • If you have any external devices attached to the machine, disconnect them (example, gaming controllers, USB keys, external hard disc, printers, non-essential devices).

How to: upgrade from previous versions of Windows using Windows 10 ISO file

Click HERE to download official ISO media for Windows 10 from Microsoft.

Best,
Andre
Windows Insider MVP
MVP-Windows and Devices for IT
twitter/adacosta
groovypost.com

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

I appreciate the suggestions and know you are an individual not a Microsoft employee.  It is unfortunate that so far for Windows 10 upgrade problems, like for windows 8.1, people have to guess and suggest things that seem to work for others but may not work in the specific situation at hand.  That is apparently because Microsoft has not deemed it important enough to ensure when upgrades fail, a log file message of the SPECIFIC CAUSE is not written.

As it turns out, I was later able to successfully do the upgrade.  Changes I made:

- disconnect SSD that is windows 8 bootable but not the boot drive in use

- disconnect USB connected 3 TB external drive

- I may have previously forgotten to reboot after removing AVG and going to Microsoft's antivirus (not sure)

- I installed 3-5 "optional updates" I found in windows update

but again, I thank you for your reply and offer of help!!

bob

54 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

I appreciate the suggestions and know you are an individual not a Microsoft employee.  It is unfortunate that so far for Windows 10 upgrade problems, like for windows 8.1, people have to guess and suggest things that seem to work for others but may not work in the specific situation at hand.  That is apparently because Microsoft has not deemed it important enough to ensure when upgrades fail, a log file message of the SPECIFIC CAUSE is not written.

As it turns out, I was later able to successfully do the upgrade.  Changes I made:

- disconnect SSD that is windows 8 bootable but not the boot drive in use

- disconnect USB connected 3 TB external drive

- I may have previously forgotten to reboot after removing AVG and going to Microsoft's antivirus (not sure)

- I installed 3-5 "optional updates" I found in windows update

but again, I thank you for your reply and offer of help!!

bob

Bob, looks like your suggestion to remove 2nd bootable drive worked. I'm presently at 20% and counting on what appears, so far, to be successful install of Windows 10 Pro. 

I can't thank you enough.

jim

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

I am still having problems with upgrading despite disabling antivirus and grabbing almost all of the optional updates. I don't have any peripherals plugged in besides my Logitech G910 and G502. What else could I try?

Also, My Windows Update shows an error. I tried running the fixit tool but it seems to persist. I have most of the pre-upgrade files because the reservation option appeared at the same time as everyone else.

Sorry this didn't help.

I am still having problems with upgrading despite disabling antivirus and grabbing almost all of the optional updates. I don't have any peripherals plugged in besides my Logitech G910 and G502. What else could I try?

Also, My Windows Update shows an error. I tried running the fixit tool but it seems to persist. I have most of the pre-upgrade files because the reservation option appeared at the same time as everyone else.

If you're having trouble running Windows Update and get the error code "80070002", then you should try following the steps taken here: http://www.sevenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/310222-windows-7-update-error-80070002-story-fix.html

I was getting this error messange over and over despite following all the instructions by Microsoft and various other parties, but this little trick was the only thing that worked for me.

Sorry this didn't help.

I have now attempted the W10 upgrade eigtht times over three nights. Biggest gripes: #1-it runs for over an hour and then says fail. Couldn't it have run tests first to see if it would work?
#2-it never tells us how to fix the error or where to go.

In my case, finally found an Intel driver dated 9/2014 that won't install. After the fails above, tried that Intel drive another five times. It won't install so W10 wont install.

I officially give up and will stick to W8.1. Not worth the grief.

robertpri

Sorry this didn't help.

• Disable (preferrably uninstall) your Antivirus utility before attempting the upgrade.
  • Restart a few times and try again.
  • Disable General USB Devices (example - Smart Card Reader). 
  • If you are using a SCSI hard disk, make sure you have drivers available for your storage device on a thumdrive and it is connected. During Windows 10 setup, click the Custom Advanced Option and use the Load Driver command to load the appropriate driver for the SCSI drive. If this does not work and setup still fails, consider switching to a IDE based hard disk.
  • Do a clean boot and try again.
  • If you are upgrading using the .ISO file, disconnect from the Internet during setup, if you are connected by LAN (Ethernet) or Wi-Fi, disable both and attempt setup again. 
  • If you are updating through Windows Update, when the download reaches 100% disconnect from the Internet LAN (Ethernet) or Wi-Fi and proceed with the installation.
  • If that does not work, try using the .ISO file to upgrade if possible.
  • If you are connected to a domain, switch to a local account
  • If you have any external devices attached to the machine, disconnect them (example, gaming controllers, USB keys, external hard disc, printers, non-essential devices).

How to: upgrade from previous versions of Windows using Windows 10 ISO file

Click HERE to download official ISO media for Windows 10 from Microsoft.

Is this really your suggestion? I had problems by upgrade from 8.1 -> 10, now this error from win10 -> win10. I can't believe that no microsoft engineer is able to make a working upgrade package. I havn't had problems like this on every version before 8.1. What are you thinking, happens in a productive enviroment.. how many hours should someone spend to fix problems, which made by microsoft himself. I have moved the most parts of my work to linux and windows 10 makes the choice much easier to me. A operation system, which is unable to update themself in 2015 is incredible. Error codes without meaning, error suggestions like yours make people like me angry. No error logs, links which only open bing searches. My surface pro 3 one of the prestige project from microsoft has also so many problems with win10. Is so frustrating.

Sorry this didn't help.

If confident your PC meets the Windows 10 Specifications and are aware of any listed unsupported OS features, then you can bypass Get Windows 10 app in the System Tray to Install  Windows 10 using the media creation tool choosing the first option to automate the Upgrade which overcomes almost all issues with Get Windows 10 in the System Tray.   

However in the same amount of time it takes to download that option, you can choose the second option "Create Media for another PC" to make bootable flash or DVD media to keep for any needed repairs or reinstall, and can be run from Desktop to Upgrade.  This media also gives you an extra option to Save Nothing during the Upgrade which overcomes Upgrade choking on corruption or bloated factory installs and gets as close to a superior Clean Install as an Upgrade can get. 

And now Fall Update Version 1511 allows activating directly with your Windows 7,8 or 8.1 Product Key (even if it’s embedded in BIOS), so you can also use the media to do a preferred Clean Iinstall Windows 10 Upgrade deleting all partitions during the booted install to get it cleanest.   Afterwards activate with the old OS Product key as specified in the Version 1511 FAQ section of Activation in Windows 10 - Windows Help.

But if you prefer to run an in-place Upgrade the media must be opened in Windows 7/8.1, then right click Setup file to Run as Administrator. 

If asked do not insert a Product Key at any time, click Skip, Next or Do this later. 

If you want to maximize chances for a successful Upgrade, then choose to Save Nothing so the Upgrade has much less to choke on and has less problems after install.  Make sure your files are backed up separately and you have your program installers and any Product Keys for programs like Office.

To improve the Upgrade's chances turn off everything at Startup:

Type msconfig in Start Search box, right click System Config Utility to Run as Administrator.  In Startup and Services tabs after making sure to Hide all MS Services disable everything except anti-virus, any synch, stickies, printer using scan.

Uninstall any anti-virus except Defender.  Bloated AV's like Norton, McAfee, AVG and Avast need to have special Uninstallers (removal tools) for common antivirus software - ESET Knowledgebase.

It’s highly recommended to Create a backup System Image of your existing OS before upgrading, which can be recovered using the booted Windows installation media, Repair CD or Recovery flash drivein 20 minutes.   Type Backup in Start Search box, in Backup and Recovery Center choose Create a System Image.  You can also use a more flexible imaging program like free Macrium Imaging which allows recovery to any partition position on the hard drive.

Immediately after install, type Update in Start Search box to Check for Updates, expedite these through requested restart, then check again until no more are offered. 

Next right click Start button to open Device Manager, import any drivers still missing from the PC or Device's Support Downloads webpage.  How to: Install and Update drivers in Windows 10 - Microsoft Community

Stick with built-in Defender in Windows 10 for best performance and adequate protection.  If you get infected add the inexpensive Real Time protection from the best-in-class free malware scanner Malwarebytes. No one I’ve had do this has ever been infected again.  I'd also periodically scan with free Malwarebytes and  AdwCleaner  scanners.

Feel free to ask back any questions and keep us posted on how it goes.

----------------------------------
I am a volunteer and not Microsoft.

Over 100,000 helped in forums for 10 years. I don't quit for those who are polite and cooperative.

Windows MVP 2010-20

Sorry this didn't help.

0x80073b92 - 0x20009 means you have multiple Windows installs and the it can't decide which one to upgrade. Remove the hard drive for the other OS temporarily and it will work just fine.

3 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

0x80073b92 - 0x20009 means you have multiple Windows installs and the it can't decide which one to upgrade. Remove the hard drive for the other OS temporarily and it will work just fine.

Getting this error too, however I do not have more than one Windows OS installed.

My Windows 10 Pro x64 has been stuck on build 10240 since last year in my case. I'm trying to update to the latest build.  I'm having trouble now because Windows is constantly trying to to update to build 10586 and failing, which has triggered a reboot loop of constant interruptions, I can't defer to several days later, etc.  Which makes it difficult to get any work done. A clean reinstall would also be very costly at this point.

Sorry this didn't help.