Windows 10 upgrade can’t complete due to error: “Some apps need to be uninstalled.”

When attempting to install the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update, the update can’t complete, and I get a message that “Some apps need to be uninstalled."   But I don’t see the app it says I need to uninstall anywhere on my device, nor do I remember ever installing it.  How do I resolve this issue? 
Answer
Answer

Before you can upgrade to the latest version of Windows, Setup performs a compatibility check to make sure you don’t have any apps installed that are known to be incompatible with that version of Windows.

If you are blocked by an app you don’t appear to have installed, it is likely that the compatibility checker is detecting a file associated with the app, rather than the app itself.  You will need to delete the file it is detecting before you can install the upgrade.  You can determine which file is triggering the block by examining a hidden log file.  To do this, follow these steps:

1. Open File explorer and click the View tab. Make sure the check box for Hidden items is selected.
  2. Select This PC, and type *_APPRAISER_HumanReadable.xml in the search box and search the PC for file names that end with this term.  
  3. Right click the file that ends with _APPRAISER_HumanReadable.xml and open the file with Notepad.
  4. Press CTRL + F and search for DT_ANY_FMC_BlockingApplication. Look for the value, it should be True.
  5. Press CTRL + F and search for LowerCaseLongPathUnexpanded. The value contains the file path of the program that should be removed or transferred to another drive.  (It should be located approximately 28 lines under the DT_ANY_FMC_BlockingApplication).
  6. Make note of the file path listed in the value for LowerCaseLongPathUnexpanded.  You can select the file path and copy it to the Notepad by pressing CTRL + C.
  7. Navigate to the file path’s location in File Explorer.  (Click in File Explorer’s address bar and press CTRL + V to paste the file path you copied earlier.)
  8. Once you’ve located the blocking.exe file, transfer the file to another drive or Delete the file.

Once the blocking file is moved or deleted, try installing the Windows 10 upgrade again, or return to the Windows 10 Upgrade Assistant and select the Refresh button.

Some versions of the following apps may trigger a compatibility block for the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update, including:

• Trend Micro
  • PGP 8.1
  • Nero
  • Symantec Endpoint Protection
  • Infineon TPM
  • Roxio
  • Norton Ghost
  • Spy Sweeper
  • Realtek PCI-E Card Reader
  • Microsoft Office Starter 2010
  • Sonic Studio DLA Application
  • Dell Storage Drivers
  • Webroot/McAfee

232 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated May 9, 2024 Views 72,306 Applies to: