Windows 10 pro upgrade error : something happen 0x80070002 - 0x20016

Dear Sir,

I got this error : something happen 0x80070002 - 0x20016, when tried to upgrade win 7 pro to win 10 pro.

Please help.

Thanks.

Indy

|
1. Browse to "C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download" and delete the contents of the folder.
2. Press Windows key + X > Click Command Prompt (Admin) then type "wuauclt.exe /updatenow".

Hit Enter

3. Open Control Panel > Windows Update and Windows 10 should begin downloading..

Press Windows key + X

Click Command Prompt (Admin)

Type in at the prompt OR Copy and Paste these one at a time : (Hit enter after each)

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

How do I reset Windows Update components

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971058

Suggest you download and save the Fixit. Then configure the system to Clean boot prior to running it:

How to troubleshoot a problem by performing a clean boot in Windows Vista/Windows 7/8/8.1

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Once the Fixit has been downloaded and the system booted to the Clean state, check to see that the native Windows firewall is now On if a 3rd party firewall was being used previously. Now run the Fixit and choose the Default mode. Restart once it's done and see if the system can connect to the update servers. If it can not, then run the Fixit again and choose the Aggressive mode. Restart when it's finished running and check for updates.

I suggest before shutting down and installing any updates, disconnect from the Internet first.

Fix Windows corruption errors by using the DISM or System Update Readiness tool

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947821

Ensure you have enough disk space, at least 16 to 20 GBs.

• Disable (preferrably uninstall) your Antivirus utility before attempting the upgrade.
  • Restart a few times and try again.
  • Disable General USB Devices (example - Smart Card Reader). 
  • If you are using a SCSI hard disk, make sure you have drivers available for your storage device on a thumdrive and it is connected. During Windows 10 setup, click the Custom Advanced Option and use the Load Driver command to load the appropriate driver for the SCSI drive. If this does not work and setup still fails, consider switching to a IDE based hard disk.
  • Do a clean boot and try again.
  • If you are upgrading using the .ISO file, disconnect from the Internet during setup, if you are connected by LAN (Ethernet) or Wi-Fi, disable both and attempt setup again. 
  • If you are updating through Windows Update, when the download reaches 100% disconnect from the Internet LAN (Ethernet) or Wi-Fi and proceed with the installation.
  • If that does not work, try using the .ISO file to upgrade if possible.
  • If you are connected to a domain, switch to a local account
  • If you have any external devices attached to the machine, disconnect them (example, gaming controllers, USB keys, external hard disk, printers, non-essential devices).

How to: upgrade from previous versions of Windows using Windows 10 ISO file

How to download official Windows 10 ISO files

Best,
Andre
Windows Insider MVP
MVP-Windows and Devices for IT
twitter/adacosta
groovypost.com

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

I was trying to take this route because i was getting the same error as originally stated. But running DISM in CMD gets me error 87 on CheckHealth and RestoreHealth. I tried running Fixit and that fixed all but a windows update error 0x80070057

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Dear Andre,

Thanks for your information. But the problem still happen.

My problem solved by this link http://www.filecritic.com/how-to-fix-the-something-happened-0x80070002-0x20016-error-and-upgrade-to-windows-10/

Thanks a lot

Indy

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I've been stumped on the "Something Happened" 0x80070002-0z20016 error all day! After performing your solution, It was able to get the Windows 10 upgrade in windows update.  Right now it's downloading the upgrade.

thank you!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

1. Browse to "C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download" and delete the contents of the folder.
2. Press Windows key + X > Click Command Prompt (Admin) then type "wuauclt.exe /updatenow".

Hit Enter

3. Open Control Panel > Windows Update and Windows 10 should begin downloading..

In step one you asked for delete contents of folder.. you mean delete all of them of a particuler file?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

No, he does mean delete all the files within the folder. Not just a particular type of file.

Solution for me was to simply remove the client machine from the domain and then rejoin when upgrade completed - easy :) 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

This is update error so you can try the steps. As this error is related to Windows update you need to perform various steps like remove the temporary update files that is used by Windows to identify update for the PC/laptop. And to remove the temporary files, stop the Windows Update service, delete the temporary update files and restart the Windows Update service.

This might help you to fix the error but if not then you need to repair the corrupt registry entries related to Windows

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated April 9, 2021 Views 16,497 Applies to: