Windows 10 Pro reverts back to Windows 10 Home after reinstallation

I purchased a new laptop a very short time ago and it came with Windows 10 Home. I upgraded it to Windows 10 Pro through my Microsoft account. Unfortunately after a Microsoft security update all the notebook would do is try over and over and over again to install the update and ultimately fail every time.

I had enough and decided to simply start over by doing a clean install of Windows 10 via my laptop's recovery sector. After the installation process was done I noticed that my Pro version had reverted back to the Home version of Windows 10.

How do I get my laptop back to the upgrade Windows 10 pro that I paid for through my Microsoft account?

Question Info

Last updated August 8, 2019 Views 828 Applies to:
Try using this key instead, but do this first, disconnect from the Internet. Press Windows key + A then toggle on airplane mode. Proceed to enter the key.

Upgrade to Windows 10 Pro using the following default product key:

VK7JG-NPHTM-C97JM-9MPGT-3V66T

Review instructions how to perform an Easy Upgrade using the default key:

How to Perform an Easy Upgrade in Windows 10
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wiki...

As long as you are signed in with your Microsoft Account you were previously using, it should automatically reactivate.
Best,
Andre
Windows Insider MVP
MVP-Windows and Devices for IT
twitter/adacosta
groovypost.com

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Please see:
https://www.askvg.com/fix-cant-select-windows-1...

Please note that it is a non-Microsoft website which appears to be providing accurate, safe information. Watch out for ads on the site that may advertise products frequently classified as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Products). Thoroughly research any product advertised on the site before you decide to download and install it.
Sumit
Windows Insider MVP 2018-2020 and Volunteer Moderator

Sorry this didn't help.

I had the same problem, every upgrade my PC reverted to Home, I had to enter the default key as Andre Da Costa posted.
To permanently rectify the problem I used a PID.txt file:
Create a PID.txt file containing the following text:
[PID]
Value=XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX

The Xs get replaced with your Windows 10 Pro product key. If your Windows 10 Pro activation is with a digital license, then insert the generic product key: VK7JG-NPHTM-C97JM-9MPGT-3V66T

Save the PID.txt file to the \Sources folder on your Windows 10 installation media (USB flash drive).

Windows 10 decides which version (Home or Pro) to install in the following order:

1. Finding a product key in the PID.txt file
2. Finding a product key in UEFI/BIOS
3. The user manually enters a product key when asked for one
4. No product key is found or entered - then the user is asked for Home or Pro

I’ve clean installed Windows using the MCT with this file added & it installed Pro.
Virginia - Time Lady.

Sorry this didn't help.

Good day Andre,

Thank you for the advice. I did follow the information and the links you provided but unfortunately my install went from a bad situation to worse.

I ended up reformatting the hard drive a second time and then contacted Microsoft for assistance when my 2nd re-installation from my notebook's recovery sector refused to activate. It took them just over an hour with me on the phone to get system to accept the serial number, activate, and to have their website acknowledge that my digital license was indeed a Windows 10 pro license.

The gentleman said he did not understand why the system was behaving like it was but he said it was one of the more difficult installations to get corrected that he has had to work with.

Again, I thank you for your time and advice Andre!

Sorry this didn't help.

Sorry for the inconvenience you have experienced thus far. I am glad to know the problem has been resolved.
Best,
Andre
Windows Insider MVP
MVP-Windows and Devices for IT
twitter/adacosta
groovypost.com

Sorry this didn't help.