Windows 10 Pro Digital License has suddenly deactivated

Hi everyone,

Apologies upfront for the long post.

I got the free upgrade to Windows 10 Pro from my Windows 7 Pro (OEM I believe) about 1.5 years ago. I linked my Windows 10 digital license to my Microsoft account. About 4 months ago my primary hard drive failed and had to be replaced. I reinstalled Windows 10 Pro using an image on a usb stick created from the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool. During the install I was able to enter my Microsoft account and my Windows 10 Pro activated with my digital license and everything had been fine up until last week and I had been receiving Windows updates.

Last week I was having trouble with my printer/scanner and uninstalled its drivers and utility software. When I restarted my computer I had a watermark in the bottom right corner saying "Activate Windows Go to Settings to activate Windows". In the activation section of settings I have the following:

According to: https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/10738/windows-10-get-help-with-activation-errors

Error code: 0xC004F034 means "You might see this error if you entered an invalid product key or a product key for a different version of Windows. Enter a valid product key that matches the version and edition of Windows 10 installed on your device."

When I click troubleshoot I get the following:

This clearly makes no sense since I have the digital license for Windows 10 Pro & have Windows 10 Pro installed. I also tried clicking "I changed hardware on this device recently" (even though it was months ago), but all it does is open a window with a loading circle for a few seconds which then disappears. All of the solutions that I've found online only seem to relate to hardware changes or new licenses. 

I decided to try going back to a system restore point from Monday last week which was listed as being prior to a Windows Update. The restore worked and my Windows was once again showing as activated as per the following screenshot:

Everything seemed okay again for a day and then I decided to try to uninstall the printer driver again (since I really need to get it sorted out) and after I did, Windows 10 was again deactivated when I did a restart. I have no idea whether the uninstall the the driver is the cause of the problem (somehow) or if this is just a coincidence & something else is going on.

TLDR: Windows 10 Pro was activated with a Digital License linked to my MS account. I uninstalled my printer/scanner driver and then when I restarted my PC Windows 10 was not activated. Most recent hardware change was a new OS hard drive about 4 months ago & Windows activated fine after that change.

Can anybody recommend what I should try to solve this issue? I tried calling Microsoft support but couldn't find my way to an actual person, it just recommended coming here.

Thanks for any help that you can provide. 

Update 14/11/17:  As per Richard's suggestions (see replies below), I uninstalled my 3rd party anti-virus software (Avira - free) and ran the DISM and SFC commands. Unfortunately, the problem remained after these actions so I then performed a repair install, but again the problem persists.

Answer
Answer

Hi,

First off, the new HDD install should/would not cause an activation problem in and of itself (you already suspect this as it was 4 months ago).

At this point lets not get into the printer driver even though it may seem to be involved due to the apparent symptoms at hand.

It sounds more like an OS file corruption (or missing/damaged file) problem might be at play here.

I would first try the DISM then the SFC second:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-update/system-file-check-sfc-scan-and-repair-system-files/bc609315-da1f-4775-812c-695b60477a93

If then still these prove to be unsuccessful I would then attempt to perform a "Repair Installation" (this can keep your files, apps, and 3rd party programs).

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-windows_install-winpc/how-to-perform-a-repair-upgrade-using-the-windows/35160fbe-9352-4e70-9887-f40096ec3085

If then still unsuccessful, I would resort to a full and truly clean installation.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wiki/windows_10-windows_install/clean-install-windows-10/1c426bdf-79b1-4d42-be93-17378d93e587

We'll be waiting to gear back from you accordingly.

-Richard

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer

Okay, so it seems that my issue has somehow been resolved. I did some more reading & it sounded like using my old Windows 7 product key wasn't going to do any good as it had already been used to upgrade to Windows 10 which I then linked to my MS account, resulting in my digital license so I decided that I couldn't wait until next week to see if anything would happen.

I followed this site: http://faq.micro-pctech.com/2017/03/24/use-slmgr-change-remove-extend-windows-license/

& removed my product key and then applied the generic Windows 10 Pro product key. I had already tried this before the repair install and it didn't work. It also appeared that it did not work again as even after a restart I still had the same error message of not being able to reach the Windows activation servers. 

I decided to try the DISM & SFC scans & repairs again just for the sake of it. Both of them reported that no errors were found, however, after a restart, Windows is now activated! I'm not sure exactly what did it but I'm glad it's done & hopefully that's the end of it. I'm going to mark your reply as the answer as there doesn't seem to be a more relevant answer.

Now I can enjoy my trip knowing that my PC will (hopefully) be good to go when I get back. Thanks for all the help everyone! 

Cheers!

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated November 16, 2023 Views 3,509 Applies to: