Windows 10 password

Hi,

Before I start let me explain that prior to upgrading to Win 10 my Win 7 password was not the same as the one for my Microsoft account.

With a lot of trepidation I decided to upgrade from W7 to W10 and it went completely seamlessly, well done Microsoft. Next day when trying to start up again Windows 10 would not accept my password which I was 100% confident I had entered correctly. After much head scratching I decided to try my Microsoft account password and Win 10 accepted that and started so it seems that the upgrade changed my Windows logon password to the same one as my Microsoft account. Is this expected behaviour?

For the avoidance of all doubt never at any stage did I update my user profile within Win 10 and change the password there.

Hi Mike,

Thank you for posting your concern.

The behavior is uncommon as the upgrade doesn't change the account password. However, there are several ways to retrieve or reset it:    

• If your PC is on a domain, your system administrator must reset your password.

• If you're using a Microsoft account, you can reset your password online. For more info, go to the Reset your password webpage.

• If you're using a local account, use your password hint as a reminder.

Hope this information is helpful. Do let us know if you need any further assistance, we'll be glad to assist you.

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi,

Thanks for your response but it doesn't address the question.

I know my Microsoft account password.

I knew my old Win 7 logon password.

I now know my Win 10 logon password.

I don't need a password hint because I write all my passwords down. I keep that piece of paper in my dictionary by the page with the definition of password and consider this safe because while I may get burgled, the burglar is unlikely to want to read the dictionary.

I don't need to recover any password, I know how to change all my passwords if necessary.

The issue is simple. During the installation of Win 10 my Windows logon password became changed to be the same as my Microsoft account password. Why would this happen?

If this response answers your question then please mark as answer.

Mike H

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

Thanks for your response but it doesn't address the question.

I know my Microsoft account password.

I knew my old Win 7 logon password.

I now know my Win 10 logon password.

I don't need a password hint because I write all my passwords down. I keep that piece of paper in my dictionary by the page with the definition of password and consider this safe because while I may get burgled, the burglar is unlikely to want to read the dictionary.

I don't need to recover any password, I know how to change all my passwords if necessary.

The issue is simple. During the installation of Win 10 my Windows logon password became changed to be the same as my Microsoft account password. Why would this happen?

Mike,

This happened to me as well and I'm still trying to undo what MS did without my approval. I don't want to use my MS account as my login. I want to login as I have always done separately. I want to go back to what I had.

And guess what. As usual its our problem.

·

Sorry this didn't help.

I hope everything has worked out for you. There are a few things I want to point out:

1. Windows 10 is setup to sync to your Microsoft account; your Xbox account, outlook, even hotmail. Whatever email you've used in the past to setup a Microsoft account. This is done so where ever you go, no matter what PC you use, you can login with your MS account, and it will sync and copy your home computer desktop.

2. A lot of people forgot when they signed into Microsoft when installing Windows 10. This is a quick step during the install, and a lot of people don't even realize they're linking their MS account to W10.

3. I read carefully during the install and process and chose NOT to login with my online account, and instead went forward with the traditional "local" user. This was a big mistake on my part.

4. Because I didn't link my MS account, nor did I create a password for my "local" user name, I screwed up. W10 has a bug that somehow ENABLES the "require password at login". Since I didn't login with my MS account or make a password for my local user name, W10 made it's own password based on my bio. I was essentially locked out of my computer for about 9-10 hours, doing a ton of research.

5. After many house of research, I found a loop hole. I loaded the boot with my Windows 7 boot disk, which allows you a very small entry into the OS. This allowed access to run CMD.EXE where I replaced Sticky Keys with the CMD.EXE. Rebooted and ran the W10 OS like normal, and at the login screen, I pushed shift 5x which opened CMD.EXE. From here, I told W10 to add a new user and also set an easy password. The new user name popped up after that, I logged into a fresh desktop, right clicked the Windows start tab, and then I went into Computer Management:Local Users and Groups:Users, right clicked my main username and clicked Set Password. Now that I had a new password for my main username, I logged out of my generic temp user. But, my main username wasn't popping up at the lock screen, and the only user W10 would let me log into was the generic temp user I created through CMD.EXE. After this issue, I knew I had to re-enable my main username and I knew it was there because I saw it in the Computer Management settings, and I changed the PW obviously. So, I logged back into the generic account and went back into Computer Management and enabled my main username by right clicking the username and going into it's properties, clicked Member Of, then I added it to the "Users", "Administrators", and "Home Users" group by clicking Add, then "Advanced..." in the Select Groups, then I clicked "Find Now", a list loads up at the bottom and I clicked on the ones I needed and clicked OK, then OK again. I also had to un-click "Account is Disabled". Once this was done, I clicked the start menu again, then clicked on the User picture. This gave me an option to login in my main username, clicked it, put in my newly set password, and there we have it.

6. Once I had access to my account, I went into the settings and changed the "Require sign-in" to Never. I then logged into Microsoft with this main username. I then went back into Computer Management and deleted all the random unused usernames.

Hope this helps anyone out there having issues with W10 requiring a password you either don't know, never set, was randomly generated by W10, etc.

4 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

I had the same problem as Mike H, during the windows 10 upgrade from windows 7 that as soon as I logged on to my Microsoft account, it changed my log one password, without making this clear. So the first time I restarted I could get in. Fortunately I had a copy of the passwords so could find it and log on.

However recently I have a couple of times where I try to log on and just get a message I can't logon to my windows live account and therefore cannot get into the computer and get at any of my programs (sorry apps) or local files.

This seems incredible stupid!!

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated October 7, 2020 Views 994 Applies to: