Windows 10 not activating

I have upgraded 10 laptops and two did not activate windows.  I got support for the first one by finally wiping and reinstalling 10.  When I called support for the second laptop I got the run around and finally a refusal after two days on the phone with tech level 3 support.

So how do I activate Windows 10 now if the experts will not help me?

|
Answer
Answer

Click Start > Settings > Update & security > Activation > Change the product key

Enter the product key depending on the edition of Windows 10 you have installed, close then restart your computer, it should reactivate automatically.

Users who mistakenly entered a Volume License Key (VLK) and now want to activate using a consumer product key or license. They may encounter and activation error of 0x8007007B or 0xC004f210 or the product key enter error of 0xC004F050 or 0xC004E016.

You may try the workaround mentioned below and see if it helps.

*Important* - Do not follow these steps if:

- The device is in Deferred mode, meaning that the Activation page in Settings says to connect to the internet in order to activate.
- The device is intended to be used on a corporate network with a KMS server (not necessarily domain joined)
- The user is trying to enter a Windows 7/8/8.1 MAK key that is the same edition as the currently installed OS and seeing SL_E_EDITION_MISMATCHED (0xC004F210). The correct fix is for the user to install the published GVLK for the edition (https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj612867.aspx) and then try to install the Windows 7/8/8.1 MAK key again.

Workaround:
If you confirmed they have attempted to apply a VLK to Consumer software, they are essentially changing their licensing.  They need to get their system off the VL path and back on the Consumer correct path.  This is the current workaround:

1) Enter the Windows 10 Home/Pro default key. (see list below)

Win 10 Home: YTMG3-N6DKC-DKB77-7M9GH-8HVX7
     Win 10 Pro: VK7JG-NPHTM-C97JM-9MPGT-3V66T
     Win 10 Home N: 4CPRK-NM3K3-X6XXQ-RXX86-WXCHW
     Win 10 Home Single Language: BT79Q-G7N6G-PGBYW-4YWX6-6F4BT
     Win 10 Home Country Specific: 7B6NC-V3438-TRQG7-8TCCX-H6DDY
     Win 10 Professional N: 2B87N-8KFHP-DKV6R-Y2C8J-PKCKT

2) Check for the new error returned - they should now receive error 7001

3) Use their Windows 7 or 8 product key to complete the activation (Note: If they do not have a Win 7/8 key or we are not able to extract using CMD, they will need to purchase a 7/8 Key or a 10 license).

Credit: Ramesh.Kumar        

Do this for me:

Press Windows key + X

Click Command Prompt (admin)

At the command prompt, type: slmgr.vbs /dlv

Hit Enter

Take a screenshot of the dialog that appears on screen then post it in a reply here.

Do this for each of the computers you are having problems with.

How to include a screenshot in your post - Microsoft Community

Best,
Andre
Windows Insider MVP
MVP-Windows and Devices for IT
twitter/adacosta
groovypost.com

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated January 21, 2021 Views 2,093 Applies to: