Windows 10 Media Tool Upgrade Error "Something Happened - Windows 10 Failed to Install" **Please Help**

I have tried uncountable times and it will not work. I downloaded the media tool x64 from Microsoft and it will not install. I get up to the installing part and it crashes at 37% every single time and give me a little pop-up saying

Something Happened - Windows 10 Failed to Install. The Microsoft Answer Desk chat was not very helpful. Some please help before I go insane :)

*Things to note

- I have more than enough space for install

- I have reserved (Didn't get notification yet)

- I'm on Windows 8.1

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi,

Thank you for posting on Microsoft Communities.

I will be glad to help you with the issue  you have with the computer. I understand the frustration when thingsd ont work the way it should.

I suggest you to follow the below steps to troubleshoot on the issue:

STEP 1: Run Windows Media Creation Tool as Administrator

First of all try to run the tool again as Administrator as mentioned below:

Right-click on the Media Creation Tool's EXE file and select "Run as Administrator" option.

Now it should not give "Something happened" error message.

STEP 2: Change Locale and Language Settings to English (United States)

This problem may also occur if the locale and language settings in your computer are different than the downloaded Windows 10 setup files.

Just follow these simple steps to change locale and language settings in your computer to fix the problem:

1. Open Control Panel and click on Region icon. Alternatively you can direct open it using intl.cpl command in RUN or Start Search box.

It'll open a new window containing details of your current system locale, language, etc.

2. Now go to "Administrative" tab and click on "Change system locale" button.

3. Now select English (United States) option from the drop-down box and apply changes.

Restart your system and now run the tool again. It'll work without any problem this time.

Hope this information is helpful. Please reply with the results. I will be glad to help further.

Thank you.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

I appreciate your reply, but none of these options have worked. My language was already English US and I have tried it in the past. I also do run as admin and nothing seems to work. Every single time it fails at 37% no matter what I do. It is not the normal "Something Has Happened Error"(http://images.bidnessetc.com/content/uploads/images/source5/3dtq5qp.png)

My error looks like this (http://i.imgur.com/7jqfl5Z.png)

I cannot seem to get past Installing 37%. If you know anything about that error I have please respond. Thanks :)

Sorry this didn't help.

My guess is that the problem is in the installer, see this output:

2015-07-31 18:04:03, Error                 MOUPG  CDlpActionWimLayout::WimLayoutExportImage(2243): Result = 0x80070070[gle=0x00000070]
2015-07-31 18:04:03, Error                 MOUPG  CDlpActionWimLayout::ApplyMediaLayoutImage(1277): Result = 0x80070070[gle=0x00000070]
2015-07-31 18:04:03, Error                 MOUPG  CDlpActionWimLayout::ActionEsdToLayout(895): Result = 0x80070070
2015-07-31 18:04:03, Error                 MOUPG  CDlpActionWimLayout::ExecuteRoutine(854): Result = 0x80070070
2015-07-31 18:04:03, Error                 MOUPG  CDlpActionImpl<class CDlpErrorImpl<class CDlpObjectInternalImpl<class CUnknownImpl<class IDlpAction> > > >::Execute(441): Result = 0x80070070
2015-07-31 18:04:03, Error                 MOUPG  CDlpTask::ExecuteAction(3243): Result = 0x80070070
2015-07-31 18:04:03, Error                 MOUPG  CDlpTask::ExecuteActions(3397): Result = 0x80070070
2015-07-31 18:04:03, Error                 MOUPG  CDlpTask::Execute(1631): Result = 0x80070070
2015-07-31 18:04:03, Error                 MOUPG  CSetupManager::ExecuteTask(1961): Result = 0x80070070
2015-07-31 18:04:03, Error                 MOUPG  CSetupManager::ExecuteTask(1924): Result = 0x80070070
2015-07-31 18:04:03, Error                 MOUPG  CSetupManager::ExecuteDownloadMode(6745): Result = 0x80070070
2015-07-31 18:04:03, Error                 MOUPG  CSetupManager::ExecuteDownlevelMode(373): Result = 0x80070070
2015-07-31 18:04:03, Error                 MOUPG  CSetupManager::GetDUSetupResults(4955): Result = 0x80070490
2015-07-31 18:04:04, Error                 MOUPG  CSetupManager::Execute(223): Result = 0xC19001DF
2015-07-31 18:04:04, Error                 MOUPG  CSetupHost::Execute(370): Result = 0xC19001DF

Life Is...

Sorry this didn't help.

in my case there was not enough free space on my hard disk.

Sorry this didn't help.

I'm getting the same issue, stopping at 37% and have tried various solutions as mentioned.

I did register for the Windows 10 Technical Preview, but did not install.

I have noticed in some of my attempts to upgrade that the technical preview appears in Windows Update. Is it possibly related to my account and that I have registered for the technical preview?

Sorry this didn't help.

I am now on Windows 10. Going by all the steps I have tried, and believe me I have done everything, I believe this error is from some sort of corruption on the computer. I ended up doing a factory reset on my PC. You can back-up all your files that you NEED on a usb or cloud site like google drive, One Drive, etc. But before you do a factory reset, make sure you have tried all other possible steps before resetting. You can just factory reset right away if you want. Once your PC reboots from the factory reset it will give you a prompt to upgrade now. This worked for me and it should work for all of you. If you do not want to factory reset you can try refreshing your PC (for Windows 8.1 it is under the same setting where you find factory reset). I am not sure if that will help or do anything, but performing a factory reset will allow you to upgrade. I have tried non-stop since Tuesday, trying many methods and this is the only one that works. If your up for it, factory reset and you will be able to upgrade. That is the best I've got for you guys. Good luck :)

Sorry this didn't help.

Look at my last response I posted on here about factory resetting. Worked for me.

Sorry this didn't help.

I'm experiencing the exact same issue. Anyone having other suggestions than doing a factory reset? :/

Sorry this didn't help.

in my case there was not enough free space on my hard disk.

I got the weird "something has happened" and finally figured out that you need to have room on your "C" drive even though you want to create the iso on a different drive.

for whatever reason, MS decided it was a good idea to create the iso in the temp directory of your C drive first then copy to wherever you designate.

so process seems to be:

download.

verify

expand (create actual iso file)

copy to end location

so you end up needing around 10 - 15GB free space on the C drive if you're doing the 32bit/64 bit iso.

Sorry this didn't help.

Prefer not to do a factory reset.

Things I have tried since last post:

• Read a different forum that when it reaches 20-37% it's to do with device drivers. So did a "clean boot" and the progress got past 37%, I believe 80-95% but it still failed. Not sure what to do now.
  • I have also read that my personal folders (i.e. documents, pictures) are not the default location. Can any MS engineers confirm that this is the reason of why my install failed at 80-95%? Prefer not to do this, but I may try this along with the "clean boot"

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated August 19, 2020 Views 10,611 Applies to: