Windows 10 installation stops with error 0xC1900101 - 0x20003

I have tried multiple times to install Windows 10. It keeps failing on an attempted restart with the message

Error code 0xC1900101 - 0x20003

The installation failed in the SAFE OS phase with an error during the INSTALL_UPDATES operation

I am running Windows 8.1 on a Lenovo Z480 with an Intel Core i7-3632QM 2.20GHz 4GB RAM 64-bit processor. Windows says that it meets system requirements for Windows 10.

I have tried installing

• by reserving Windows 10. (Update history shows failed attempts to install.)
  • by downloading the media creation tool and clicking MedaCreationToolx64.exe directly. At first this took me thought the first steps of the installation process without problem, but later stopped working with the 'Something Happened' error message;
  • using Windows Update;
  • creating a USB installation media and running via setup.exe, following the advice here at Bidness ETC.

Before attempting installation I decrypted drives that were encrypted and disabled all start programs, firewall and antivirus.

All this with the same ultimate result: gets stuck at (about) 25% installation or when (about) 84% of the files have been copied. At that point, presumably when Windows is attempting a restart, the computer shuts down. After I do a manual restart, it reverts back to Windows 8.1.

Other than the above Bidness ETC advice, which hasn't solved the problem, I can't find any information to help.

Would appreciate yours!

Hi,

Thank you for your interest in Windows 10.

You will experience these symptoms if you have just enough free disk space to pass the compatibility check for installing Windows 10, but not enough disk space for the additional updates that are installed during setup.

If you receive these errors on a device that has little free disk space, try freeing up additional space and try again.  Depending on the device, you may need 10-13 GB of free space to install Windows 10.  We’re currently working on modifying the compatibility check so that it doesn’t underestimate the amount of space required.

Also, disconnect all the external devices (printers, scanner, USB (universal serial bus) drives, etc...) Except mouse and the keyboard and then try to upgrade.

Also refer to the help articles below and check if it helps:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wiki/windows_10-windows_install/windows-10-install-and-upgrade-top-solutions/a59d8a6a-18da-417b-93a6-7b6ab4d03896

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/wiki/insider_wintp-insider_install/how-to-a-list-of-things-to-do-if-windows-10-setup/eba3c864-d9fe-4f8e-9468-81b1f89473ed

Hope this information is helpful. Please do let us know if you need further assistance, we’ll be glad to assist you.

4 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi Giridhar,

Thanks very much for your helpful reply.

When I attempted the update above I had 18 GB free space on my C drive. I cleaned up some things and brought this up to 25.6 GB and tried the update again.

This also failed, but with a different message:

0xC1900101 - 0x2000C

The installation failed in SAFE_OS phase with an error during the APPLY_IMAGE operation

I was able to find some information on the 0x2000C error, so followed some of the advice that I found there, and in the articles you sent me. I did the following

• update of the BIOS in my Lennovo Z480
  • cleanup of all files including system files using cleanmgr.exe
  • cleaned my drivers from the command prompt using the following command: rundll32.exe pnpclean.dll,RunDLL_PnpClean /DRIVERS /MAXCLEAN
  • did some other cleanup that got me up to 29 GB of free space

(For cleaning the drivers I followed the instructions at Troubleshoot common Setup and Stop Errors during Windows 10 Installation at

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/wiki/insider_wintp-insider_install/how-to-troubleshoot-common-setup-and-stop-errors/324d5a5f-d658-456c-bb82-b1201f735683)

I then tried the update again. I got to 42% completion this time, while the update was installing features and drivers. It failed on restart with the following message:

0xC1900101 - 0x3000D

The installation failed in FIRST_BOOT phase with an error during the MIGRATE_DATA operation

I've done a preliminary search on the 0x3000D error but most of the articles seem to be about Widows 8.1 or pre-July 29 release of Windows 10.

I will keep searching, but if you have more on the above error I would be happy to hear.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Gridhar,

I also received this error.  Per your response, I check, and I have 532 GB free on my hard disk.  The only things physically connected to my computer are my monitor, my keyboard and mouse (both of which are wireless, as is my printer connection), and a Wi-Fi adapter.  I likewise turned off my Microsoft Defender virus protection and firewall.  The Updater app failed to run at all today (we are now on day two of this odyssey), so I attempted to follow Microsoft instructions to install the upgrade using an .iso file (found here http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wiki/windows_10-windows_install/how-to-upgrade-to-windows-10-using-iso-files/2159c2a7-a925-4fa3-9a03-08a5e1ecf891).  I got to about 18% installed, and it stopped and restored my previous version of Windows 7.  Since disk space is clearly not an issue in my install, do you have alternative suggestions?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have 387 GB of free space and 4 GB of RAM on my Dell Inspiron 560 running Windows 7 Home Premium with Service Pack 1 Build 7601.  When using the Media Creation Tool x64 to install Windows 10, I get the following error part way through the installation process: 

Error code 0xC1900101 - 0x20003

The installation failed in the SAFE OS phase with an error during the INSTALL_UPDATES operation.

And the PC has been restored back to Windows 7.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I encountered error code 0xC1900101 - 0x20003 as well; I believe this problem is caused by device drivers that are not certified.  I updated all device drivers with the most current drivers available from the Microsoft Update Catalog.  I uninstalled third party applications and started the Windows 10 download & install again.  The second install completed successfully. 

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi, I had the same issue and I reasoned it might be because of some unknown problem with the auto updates on my Win7 OS(corrupt file or whatever).

To fix it I ran Disk Cleanup -> Clean up system files. Rebooted, then ran the auto update repair utility on the MS site. Then I rebooted again re-installed Win10 and it setup perfectly.

My unit is a Sony Vaio laptop and it is running better now than when I bought it. Win 10 is a winner so far.

4 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated September 26, 2023 Views 15,851 Applies to: