There are people who are trying to install Windows 10 (Clean Installation) on either a new HDD/SDD OR an old HDD/SDD. But when you selected a drive and click Next, you received an error "Can't install Windows on GPT drive".
When installing Windows on UEFI-based PCs using Windows Setup, your hard drive partition style must be set up to support either UEFI mode or legacy BIOS-compatibility mode.
For example, if you receive the error message: “Windows cannot be installed to this disk. The selected disk is not of the GPT partition style”, it’s because your PC is booted in UEFI mode, but your hard drive is not configured for UEFI mode. You’ve got a few options:
- Reboot the PC in legacy BIOS-compatibility mode. This option lets you keep the existing partition style. For more info, see Boot to UEFI Mode or Legacy BIOS mode.
- Reformat the drive for UEFI by using the GPT partition style. This option lets you use the PC’s UEFI firmware features.
You can do this yourself by reformatting the drive using the instructions below, or if you need to preserve the data, use a third-party utility to convert the drive to GPT format.
In addition, here are steps to convert your HDD to MBR or GPT.
*Note: Make sure that you have a back of all your files.
1. Boot from the installation device (USB or DVD).
2. Once you reach the "Install" page. Immediately press and hold SHIFT KEY + F10 KEY. This will open command prompt (The black box DOS program).
3. Once the Command Prompt is open, proceed to type the following command line.
Method 1:Short Method
a. Type diskpart and then hit enter. This will enable command prompt to enter disk partitioning mode.
b. Now type list disk and then hit enter. You will then see a list of disk drives.
c. Please make sure that you know the current size of your HDD. Select it by typing select disk 0 . Replace 0 with the right drive number.
d. Now type clean to unallocated it.
e. Now type create part pri and hit enter to create primary partition.
f. Next is to type select part 1 and then hit enter.
g. Now type format fs=ntfs quick and then hit enter. Take note this will reformat the whole hard drive. So make sure you have a backup of everything.
h. Now type select disk 0 again and then hit enter.
I. Now please type detail disk and then hit enter.
j. You will see a volume number, type select volume 1.
k. Now please type delete volume.
l. Now type convert mbr if you need gpt then type convert gpt and then hit enter.
m. Now please go so step c up to step g then type exit.
And now just restart your pc and you will be able to install Windows 10 Now.