• July 17, 2017
    Announcement: New site design for Microsoft Community

In July, Microsoft will roll out the first of ongoing site improvements aimed to modernize Microsoft Community and help customers get the most out of their community experience.

• During the roll out period, you may see the old or new site design depending on your location

• We expect the roll out to finish by 31 July

Note: Past private message conversations will not move to the new site design. Please save any private messages you would like to keep.

Learn more about the upcoming site improvements in this thread.

Thank you for being part of Microsoft Community!

Question

Windows 10 Installation Error - 0xC1900101 - 0x20017

Aidan-J asked on

When upgrading to Windows 10 I always get the same error message. I get to the point where the system restarts and the windows 10 logo shows but no spinning icon appears. When I force shut down my laptop and then turn it back on again I get this error message:

'0xC1900101 - 0x20017 Installation failed during safe OS phase with an error during boot operation'

I remember trying to install the Windows 10 Insider Preview earlier this year and got exactly the same problem. I've also tried creating a bootable USB using the new Media Creation Tool but the same problem persists. No matter how I install Windows 10 I always have the same problem.

Specifications:

Samsung S3511 Laptop

Windows 7 (64 bit)

Intel Pentium P6200 2.13GHz

4.00 GB RAM

500GB Hard drive

734 people had this question

Abuse history

Most Helpful Reply
tidon replied on

I'm having exactly the same problem with the same error?

0xc1900101 - 0x20017 the installation failed in the safe_os phase with an error during BOOT operation

366 people found this helpful

Abuse history

progress