Windows 10 Install Stuck on Blue Screen/Spinning Dots

Hello Everyone! 

I have recently tried to update my HP from Windows 7 to Windows 10. I was prompted by Windows to reserve the free update and it would become available on July 29. On July 30, I decided to update my laptop and it made it through the installation. However for the last three days my laptop has been stuck on a blue screen with spinning dots making it completely unusable. I have restarted my computer several times and even shut it down incorrectly all resulted in the same screen. I chose the express settings in order to get through the process quicker. Please help! 

Question Info

Last updated May 5, 2020 Views 14,645 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi RaybenLynn,

Welcome to Microsoft community.

Please reply to the following questions to help you further:

1. Was the upgrade to Windows 10 successful?
  2. Were you able to login to Windows 10 after the upgrade? 

Regards,

3 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

No. Nothing. It never got pass the spinning dots.

Sorry this didn't help.

I am having the same issue. Although i have been able to log in and use my laptop for the last 3 days. Last night it installed a Windows update and today I am getting this spinning dots rendering my machine useless. 

Any ideas? 

49 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

I am having the problem mentioned about.  During the installation process, it stated that the computer may restart several times.  However, I have yet to be able to use my computer since the installation process.  It is stuck on the blue screen with white spinning dots.  Restarting has not helped nor has attempting to disconnect from the internet.

This is very concerning as this HP laptop is my work laptop containing all my essential files.  I need to have these files.  I wouldn't have done the update if I knew it would render my laptop useless.

Please help us find a solution to this problem.

Thank you.

Sorry this didn't help.

gosh, I have the same problem...I was not able to completely install Windows 10.  When I went through upgrading my laptop after the "preparing to install" was completed after several hours, my laptop got stuck in purple screen with rotating dots and it has been three days already and i could not use my laptop....

please help.... i need my files and i could not use my laptop!!!!!

Sorry this didn't help.

Same issue after installing win 10. All solutions point to download  Win 10 ISO to USB from another computer:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10ISO

You will need your product key no. and I'm still figuring out if it ERASES ALL or just repair the damaged installation.  

And then try to repair: 

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/startup-repair-faq#1TC=windows-7

Sorry this didn't help.

I finally got my Windows 10 working... here is what happened

after I received a confirmation that Windows 10 is ready for download (thru 'Get Windows 10' app), I downloaded right away....it took me days to complete the download (our internet here is slow)....

after I completed the download, it then went to "Preparing to install"... but it was installing anyway, and that too took several hours (it was days, I think) to complete.....

when it was completed, there was a prompt asking me to upgrade or to schedule it later....take note that during that time, my laptop was still running windows 8.1...

since I was busy at that time, I did not hesitate to click the 'upgrade'...I think that was where the problem started...

since windows 10 was not yet installed completely (remember, I had not yet opened my laptop in windows 10 yet)...I think the upgrade caused my laptop to get stuck in a blue/purple screen with rotating dots and it took me more than 3 days to finally start tinkering with my laptop...I clicked ctrl-alt-delete and it brought me to a screen with a big window and there was a power button in lower right corner.  I clicked the power button and there was a restart.  I clicked restart and at the same time pushed the 'shift' button...and it took me to another screen...I clicked trouble shoot and from there, I reset my PC (keeping my personal details).....I was expecting my laptop to reset to windows 8.1 but I was surprised that I got windows 10 instead....

now I am in windows 10 and I had been trying to reinstall the programs that were removed when windows 10 was installed....

Sorry this didn't help.

Question for you: did you have any VPN software installed on your Win7 machine before upgrade? Like Cisco AnyConnect for example?

For your information: I had the same issue from a WIn8.1 upgrade and was able to get it working. Here is exactly what I did:

• Boot to advanced menu:
    • On spinning wheel screen hit CTRL+ALT+DELTE
    • Hold shift and click Power button then Restart while keeping shift key pressed
  • Under boot menu select the option to revert to previous build
  • Once rollback completes login and run "sfc /scannow" in an elevated prompt.
  • Trigger the Win10 upgrade process once more

Once the second upgrade attempt completed I was finally able to login in Win10. However the spinning wheel issue persists when booting in safe mode.

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

luwei,

I did have VPN software installed on win 8 pro

After I restart pressing the shift key, do I choose "Troubleshoot, reset your pc or see advanced options" and go from there?  I'm not very computer savvy, and a unsure of how to run "stc/cannow" in an elevated prompt

Sorry this didn't help.

Yes, navigate under the advanced option menu you should find an menu called something like "Revert to previous build". You can probably skip the "sfc /scannow" command, it does not appear to be related.

Also before reintalling Win10 you may get better results if you uninstall your VPN software first and try to reinstall it after upgrade.

Out of curiosity: what is the name/brand of your VPN software?

Sorry this didn't help.