Windows 10 install interrupted, lap top now won't boot

My sons HP laptop was installing windows 10 a couple of hours ago but was left without the charger in. Presumably the laptop ran out of power before the update finished because when he tried to start it it now doesn't boot; the HP logo appears as normal for a few seconds but then the screen goes black, a white square flashes for a second then it goes black again. This sequence then repeats i.e. HP logo, black screen etc,. I guess it is trying to start but trips out, a bit like a car engine not catching. Any solutions? 

Question Info

Last updated November 13, 2018 Views 8,121 Applies to:

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I would suggest you click on the link below and refer the section "Windows Setup in continous reboot loop" in the article by Andre Da Costa and see if it helps

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/wiki/insider_wintp-insider_install/how-to-troubleshoot-common-setup-and-stop-errors/324d5a5f-d658-456c-bb82-b1201f735683

Hope this helps. Please respond if you have further related queries.

Regards,

Jesinta Rozario

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi Jesinta

Thank you for your reply. I installed Windows 10 onto a USB exactly as instructed  and whilst the install menu pops up when tested on a working laptop, it doesn't appear on the screen of my sons laptop when he inserted it into the USB port. We tried re-starting but to no avail. The laptop is still trying to start but appears to crash soon after the HP logo appears, then tries to start all over again in a continuous loop as before. Do you have any more suggestions; this is a 1 year old £350 laptop & is needed for my son's University work.

Many thanks

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

Sorry for the delayed reply.

I suggest you to try the steps below and check if it helps.

1. Try connecting to different video outputs on the PC. Sometimes a change in driver can cause the video to be sent:

• To a different Adapter: from integrated graphics to a discrete card or vice versa.
  • To a different output: from HDMI to DVI, DisplayPort to VGA, or any other combination.

2. Try to boot into Safe Mode with Networking or Enable low-resolution video.

• Advanced boot options, Safe Mode with Networking, or Low Resolution Video.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/change-startup-settings-in-windows-10#v1h=tab01 

Windows Startup Settings (including safe mode):
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/windows-startup-settings-safe-mode

• Check Device Manager and look for Display Adapters.
    1. If you see 2 items under Display Adapters, disable to integrated video card (e.g. Intel HD 4000 or AMD Radeon HD 4200) and restart. (try vice versa if it does not work)
    2. If you see 1 item under Display Adapters, rollback the driver or uninstall the display adapter in Device Manager, and enable the option to delete driver software.
    3. Check the PC or display adapter manufacturer’s site for an updated drive.

Then try to use USB drive to repair Windows 10 and check if it helps.

Hope this helps in resolving the issue. If the issue persists, do get back to us. We will be happy to assist you.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi

Thank you for your advice, and sorry for delay in responding. I managed in the end to get into the start page from the BIOS and after a few false starts opted to reset. This seemed to work OK and windows 10 was installed OK with only a few programmes such as Office & Chrome to re-install. Thanks again.

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

go to Bios settings and change boot priority to USB or DVD, save and exit and OS will get start...

Sorry this didn't help.