Windows 10 Install Error 0xC1900101 - 0x40017

Hello, I am running Windows 7 with sp1 and am trying to install Windows 10. I have attempted 4 times and I get the same error code "0xC1900101 - 0x40017 Failed in SECOND_BOOT phase during BOOT operation". I have uninstalled my virus protection software and ran sfc /scannow (which had 1 unsolvable error even during safe mode and boot). Is there anything else I can do to install Windows 10?

EDIT: More info. I am downloading and installing via the .exe from: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Question Info

Last updated January 23, 2020 Views 60,262 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

• Disable (preferrably uninstall) your Antivirus utility before attempting the upgrade.
  • Restart a few times and try again.
  • Disable General USB Devices (example - Smart Card Reader). 
  • If you are using a SCSI hard disk, make sure you have drivers available for your storage device on a thumdrive and it is connected. During Windows 10 setup, click the Custom Advanced Option and use the Load Driver command to load the appropriate driver for the SCSI drive. If this does not work and setup still fails, consider switching to a IDE based hard disk.
  • Do a clean boot and try again.
  • If you are upgrading using the .ISO file, disconnect from the Internet during setup, if you are connected by LAN (Ethernet) or Wi-Fi, disable both and attempt setup again. 
  • If you are updating through Windows Update, when the download reaches 100% disconnect from the Internet LAN (Ethernet) or Wi-Fi and proceed with the installation.
  • If that does not work, try using the .ISO file to upgrade if possible.
  • If you are connected to a domain, switch to a local account
  • If you have any external devices attached to the machine, disconnect them (example, gaming controllers, USB keys, external hard disc, printers, non-essential devices).
Best,
Andre
Windows Insider MVP
MVP-Windows and Devices for IT
twitter/adacosta
groovypost.com

23 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

So I unplugged all devices except my mouse keyboard and monitors. I downloaded winows 10, disconnected my internet and went for the install. I got the " :( " error window at the same spot but this time the install kept going. I did Windows 10 setup and disabled a few apps and it was done! 

I logged in and had Windows 10 and decided to restart my computer. The Windows 10 loading screen appears now but then goes to black without ever reaching login. So I guess my first problem is fixed but now I have a new one. So far not so good.

4 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

This sad window after my second attempt to install the much awaited Win 10. 

1st Attempt - downloaded fm net for windows update. During update, installation stopped at 33% then went for restart but no progress beyond a dark black screen with  HDD LED in ON condition. Finally after manual restart same failure message came up.

2nd attempt - uninstalled my Antivirus completely. Set location to US, Language to US english.  This time used MediacreationToolx64 on USB. and started fresh install. This time installation went way ahead upto "Installing drivers" stage with overall installation more than 52%. System went for restart but no joy....stuck up again with black screen and HDD LED in ON condition.   However, attempted to recover installation twice but failed....finally rolled back to Windows 8.1.

Good thing ofcourse, my sys reverted back to Win 8.1 safely and functioning normal.

Kindly suggest how to resolve it and make the whole process look simpler. 

569 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

I spoke with someone at the Microsoft Answer Desk this evening, and he told me two things:

1. Using the Media Creation Tool for the free upgrade path is not supported due to activation issues.
  2. The error above indicates that there is a problem with your (and my) PC, not an issue with Windows, and there is nothing they can do to help other than issue a refund (if you've paid for a license).

I don't particularly believe either of these points, but that's what he said—and he emphasized that this was the official position. If that were really the case, I'd expect the Media Creation Tool to be coming down from microsoft.com imminently, but I'd be surprised if that actually happened.

His one suggestion was that I wait for the Get Windows 10 app to notify me that my upgrade was ready (he didn't have an answer for what I would do if my machine were in a domain, and didn't have the Get Windows 10 app), and then use that upgrade path to somehow magically figure out what's wrong with my machine.

All in all, not a very helpful call at all.

6 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello J.D.W

Ihave been notified that my upgrade was ready, but as stated I attempted 12 times to install without success.

I have also used the Media Creation Tool and ended up in exactly the same situation, thankfully it to returned my computer to it's original state.

Personally I have had a bellyful of the whole situation and will carry on using Windows 7, saving any more hairloss.

Sorry this didn't help.

I found the WINDOWS 10 install not showing the most important drivers that one

has working in WINDOWS 7 PRO to be flagged ONLY AFTER ONE CHOOSES

A "Clean Install" and or showing those that caused this error during the UPGRADE.

This needs to be flagged in either case so the person attempting the install

does not find out what drivers he needs to get a working Windows 10.

Most critical for one to know is their NETWORK ADAPTERS and not merely

NVIDIA DRIVERS which has a workaround.   In my case, I discovered my

INTEL WIRELESS and INTEL Ethernet online drivers worked fine during

each of the attempts of UPGRADE with NO MENTION OF WHAT DRIVERS

are not going to work in WINDOWS 10 until one trys the CLEAN INSTALL

or chooses whether he wants to delete apps or data files.   Then, Windows

10 did come up for me to see all the drivers not working in Windows 10.

THIS NEEDS TO CHECKED UP FRONT REGARDLESS BY EITHER OPTION

ONE CHOOSES FOR THE INSTALL AND THIS WOULD PREVENT SURPRISES

OF FINDING OUT AFTER WINDOWS 10 boots and one looks in the

DEVICE MANAGER to see what was then flagged by MS.

So, Andre your writeup is putting it mildly about drivers and not about

that MS SOFTWARE GURUS need to get busy with a COMPATIBILITY

CHECKER like they did in previous Windows.

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

hey,

Had the same issue and went through a lot of threads and did several updates. Here's the story and how I've managed to get it to work:

1. Updated all drivers and disabled the graphic cards. Uninstalled the antivirus. Didn't work.

2. Did a clean install of win 7aplied all updates, tried to reinstall same issue. Tried clean boot, deleted previous win10 files downloaded. Same issue.

3. Went berserk :)

4. Did a clean win 10 install from usb media, booting from usb and it work. But then I didn't have a win 10 license key. I was happy that I knew it can be done but reverted back to win7 as I wanted to use my license.

5. How it worked. Disabled windows firewall and hit the upgrade from the usb once win 7 loaded. There are 3 options you can chose when you go this way and I chose to remove all my files and settings...to my surprise once it hit 75% the screen went black for 1-2 minutes and then the install process continued. It works. And the win 10 is activated.

hope this helps anyone having the same error code. Good luck!

Sorry this didn't help.

I have the original Surface Pro. I was getting this error last week through the Get Windows 10 app. It went through the three stages of Copying Files, Installing Features and Drivers, then Configuring Settings. Before finishing the last one, it announced that it would restore Windows 8.1.

I tried the ISO file from a USB and succeeded in a clean install of Windows 10 - with no Product Key. Clearly, the device supports it.

I reset the tablet to factory condition with Windows 8, reinstalled all Windows Updates (including firmware). Updated to Win 8.1 through the Windows Store, then reinstalled all of those updates, then removed all programs that didn't come with the device.

Waited for the Get Windows 10 app. Got the same result.

There are no drivers installed other than the Type Keyboard. I didn't even install a mouse. If this is a driver error, it is a driver included in the Surface Pro (1).

I have two more things I intend to try:

1) ISO install as an update rather than a clean install.

2) Reset to factory with Windows 8 and try the ISO update.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hey Don,

I hope the next attempt will be the last & successful one.

however if you reach option 2 from what you said, try installing from the ISO but do chose Custom Install not the Upgrade default one once you get to that point. Once you chose Custom Install it will ask you what to keep. As mentioned, chose not to keep any files or settings... whilst I can't say what exactly is triggering the normal update conflict, it's smth re the drivers/settings (I have an older HP G62, i5 core, M460) not the machine itself.

One last thing I forgot to mention in my previous post - I took note of what Andre mentioned above and when I've started the USB install process, I've killed the internet connection as well. Maybe this was the secret ingredient.

good luck!

Sorry this didn't help.

Finally worked!

I could not get it to work from the ISO, however this link did work:
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Download the appropriate tool (32- or 64-bit).

Click Run.

Select "Upgrade this PC now."

As Al suggested above, tell it to replace all files and settings. There was another option to keep personal files, which I suspect would have also worked. In my case, the device had already been wiped clean so there were no personal files.

It never asked for a Product Key, and I now have an activated version of Windows 10.

Hope this helps someone else!

21 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.