Stop Windows Auto Deleting Thumbnail Cache "Revised"

"Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8 and 10 - How to Stop Windows Auto Deleting the Thumbnail Cache"

Updated June 2018 "Revised"

I will first explain in a nut shell what I have did in this order to stop the thumbnail cache from being deleted. But, it might be possible to just take ownership of your personal Explorer and Caches Folder. I was beyond this and did this last.

have thousands of thumbnails. Microsoft deletes your thumbnail cache when it reaches about 700MB or lower in size. All My PC's are at about 2.1GB to 2.9GB in size.

First, I have disabled and deleted many Task Scheduler services that I will show you later. 

First, you have to disable and even remove some tasks. Microsoft had made the deleting your thumbnail cache almost Redundant. Meaning one service with different users such as system, trusted installer, admins, etc can trigger another service and somehow still delete them. This is a well known fact.

First you go to Regedit, using Admin Privileges and access these 2 registry settings and change the values to 0 which is OFF for disk clean up auto run for thumbnail caches.

Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\VolumeCaches\ThumbnailCache

AutoRun>>Modify change value from 1 to 0

And

Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\VolumeCaches\ThumbnailCache

AutoRun>>Modify change value from 1 to 0. 

But Wait, this is not fool proof, the cache will still get deleted. So I just deleted the auto run entries in the registry above but the cache still gets deleted.

So in Task Scheduler: Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Administrative Tools
All these have been disabled or deleted (After exporting and saving backups). Doing this has no negative effect on your system. As these Tasks is what has many triggers for other services even when disabled or deleted.

It gets tricky. I have spent lots of time to finally get it to stop deleting them. There is no other article on the web that has a solution that works. But this has for me so far for numerous months even with cumulative updates.

ApplicationData- Disabled

Diagnosis= DELETED

Disk CleanUp = DELETED

FileHistory = DELETED

Maintenance= DELETED

RemovalTools = DELETED

WasSMedic= DELETED

WDI =DELETED

Wininet =DELETED

WorkFolders = DELETED

Windows Defender 2 tasks:

A. WindowsDefender Cache Maintenance = DELETED

B. WindowsDefender Cleanup = DELETED

Then I went to C:\Windows\System32 and C:\Windows\SysWOW64

And took "OWNERSHIP" of "cleanmgr.exe.mui" and "cleanmgr.exe" in both locations, which is the "Disk Cleanup Utility".

Disabled Inheritance and select the bottom selection of the 2 in the confirmation box. This removes all the users in the list.

Or

Removed all the Users, and then added myself (My USER ACCOUNT) in the list with full permissions/control. You must add your user account name in the user list even if you are the owner of the object or item and with FULL permissions.

Then I renamed them "cleanmgr.bak.mui" & "cleanmgr.bak" **This Disables Disk Cleanup**
**To Enable Disk Cleanup, Rename Files In both locations** "cleanmgr.exe.mui" & "cleanmgr.exe"

Now when I want a disk clean up done, "I WILL RUN THEM".

I also took ownership of these files and removed all users and added myself with FULL Permissions. C:\Windows\System32 and C:\Windows\SysWOW64

WinSATAPI.dll

WinSATAPI.dll.mui

I also took ownership of these files and removed all users and added myself with FULL Permissions. C:\Windows\System32 and C:\Windows\SysWOW64

wininet.dll

wininet.dll.mui

wininetlui.dll.mui

wininetlui.dll

It took all this to stop it from happening. They have made it Redundant and pretty much impossible to stop it happening no matter what has been disabled, deleted and what not. It took all this and the following to stop it.

**And I think this is the main key as if only you are the owner of your “Explorer” & "Caches" folder and with only you (and the 2nd user account as mentioned below) in the list of users with full permissions, then no system users can delete the caches.

So for extra security I went to:

C:\Users\YOUR USER NAME\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Explorer

Where your thumbnail and icon caches are located per user, Took ownership of Explorer and deleted all other users in the list except myself, which I added with full permissions.

I did the same for this folder:
C:\Users\USER NAME\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Caches

**Also, I save a copy for a backup of the Explorer” & “Caches” Folders.

So after a Creator's Pack/Update, I can restore them back.

NOTE: Anytime you take ownership of an object, you must also then add your name in the list of users with FULL PERMISSIONS.

I have not since had them deleted.

If you never have more than about 500MB to 700MB, then they may not get deleted. But upon cumulative updates and other updates they can be deleted no matter how small cache size is if this is not done above.  

And a Creators Pack will delete the cache no matter what.
But as mentioned, I save a back up of Explorer and Caches folder and copy and paste cache back in to Explorer and Caches after creator’s packs to restore the caches. But to do this, you have to do a couple steps and use command prompt or safe mode to restore thumbnail cache,

** OR, create a 2nd user account giving that account full permissions to your user account folder so you can log onto 2nd account and replace your Explorer & Caches folders while logged onto the other account, as you cannot easily replace your Cache folders while logged in and they are in use.

Note, you must add the 2nd user account to your user account folder list with FULL Permissions so you can access it.

You can also take ownership of your own C:\Users\YOUR USER NAME account folder.

I also always have a SYSTEM IMAGE. The #1 MUST, when owning a Computer. 

It was an obsession and I had to stop Windows from deleting the thumbnail cache. It finally paid off.

How to access the Registry:

C:\Windows

Right click on "Regedit"

Run as Administrator

Go to the "View Tab" and select "Address Bar"

Copy and Paste each entry shown above and press Enter

Either change value to 0 or delete the Autorun Flags

Close out and Restart PC.

**NOTE: Before making Registry Entry Changes, Create a new Restore Point and also copy and paste the Registry into a New created folder for a back up.

Example:

How to access Task Scheduler:

Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Administrative Tools>>Task Scheduler

Task Scheduler Library>>Microsoft>>Windows

Disable or Delete the tasks in the Center Pane, Not the Main Tasks in the left hand side Pane. Be sure to EXPORT and save a backup of each task you delete.

Example:

Note that each task has a specific Security User that runs a specific task. This is what makes them all tied together and REDUNDANT which give them the ability to somehow delete your Thumbnail cache.

Some Examples shown below:

So now no matter what, 4 User names "USERS", "SYSTEM", "ADMINISTRATORS" & "TRUSTED INSTALLER" can use Custom Handlers and somehow run Auto/Silent Disk Cleanup and delete your files and caches. This is why I disabled them and then deleted them.

How to take ownership of any item:

Right Click on any Item>>Properties>>Security Tab>>Advanced

You can see here that TRUSTED INSTALLER is the Owner and all the user names listed below that can run Disk Cleanup.

Now you take Ownership of the Item:

Now you select CHANGE next to OWNER.

Advanced>>Find Now>>Select your user account name in the list>>OK

Apply>>Verify OK. Now you are the Owner of that file cleanmgr.exe.

If there is a box next to change Owner to apply to all objects and ….

Then select this box before applying the new ownership.

Now select Disable Inheritance.>>Remove all inherited permissions from this object. >> APPLY, YES.

(This removes all the users in the list. Enabling it again will replace them back into the list)

If it does not remove them, then manually remove each of them.

Note: depending on the situation, you might not need to disable this. If you still have any problems, then disable it or remove selected users in the list manually.

Now you "MUST" ADD Your Name to the User List:

Now select ADD>>Select a Principle>>Advanced>>Find Now>>Select your user account name in the list>>OK>>OK

Now select the full control permissions box>>OK, APPLY.

Now you are the owner and the only user on the list with full permissions for Disk Cleanup..

Remember as mentioned above, if you create a 2nd user account on your PC, you can add the 2nd user name to the list with Full Permissions of your C:\Users\YOUR USER NAME account folder so you can replace the "Explorer" & "Caches" files after a Creator's Update.

NOTE: Now for Maintenance, you can run it manually here anytime you choose to do so.

NOTE: Remember you can always run Disk Cleanup at any time yourself.

Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Administrative Tools >>Disk Cleanup

----------------------

***This is how to increase you Icon Cache, as claimed by some, but I do not know for a fact it really helps or makes a difference for the Icon Cache:

Open C:\Windows\regedit.exe as shown above.

Navigate to the following registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer

Now right click and create a new REG_SZ (String Value) and name it >> Max Cached Icons <<

Give it a value of 4096 (4GB) or 8192 which is (8GB).

Save and exit the Registry Editor and restart your computer.

***If you have a corrupt or damaged Icon Cache or Thumbnail Cache, you can download and run this tool to fix one or both. I have used it a few times on systems and it seems to work good. This is not my tool, but I will provide you the link.

Thumbnail and Icon Cache Rebuilder for Windows 10 Link:

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/icon-cache-rebuilder-for-windows-10

More Helpful Topics and Tips:

Connecting PC’s and Users for Sharing XP, Vista, 7, 8 & 10- Microsoft Community

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-networking/connecting-pcs-and-users-for-sharing/fb92e439-5dbc-4367-9857-1ef360e9ffdf

Network & HomeGroup Setup and Sharing XP, Vista, 7, 8 & 10 - Microsoft Community

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-networking/network-homegroup-setup-and-sharing-xp-vista-7-8/6fe29dd6-6049-4953-b55c-72287e0e9f67?tm=1526264691930

Home Network Modem-Router & PC Security & Settings - Microsoft Community

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-security/home-network-modemrouter-pc-security-settings/fb026376-633b-48d6-9184-1572bc9eb9d0

Network Setup for Dynamic IP Addressing - Microsoft Community

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-networking/network-setup-for-dynamic-ip-addressing/3ed02b5e-8c83-4706-9993-7cd28bf16a88?tm=1526935286071

Fix Homegroup Password, Joining and Unjoining Issues - Microsoft Community 

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-networking/fix-homegroup-password-joining-unjoining-and/2df306be-8a49-47c5-b7aa-33275cbebe91

How to FIX Missing Computer Icons in Network Folder - Microsoft Community

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-networking/how-to-fix-missing-computer-icons-in-network/37140a9c-f47b-4d19-97e2-2710a7deab27

How to Install Devices & Software from Older Windows OS's on Newer OS's - Microsoft Community

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_other-windows_programs/how-to-install-devices-software-from-older-windows/c19bee9c-431f-46e2-85f1-6ab90304d278

Try to Fix System Problems During or After Windows Update-Upgrade - Microsoft Community

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-update/try-to-fix-system-problems-during-or-after-windows/f0550db9-66d1-4b95-b23e-36357ed5d523

Recover Windows Hung Up on Boot or Update Installations - Microsoft Community

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-update/recover-windows-hung-up-on-boot-or-update/f75a0178-4d81-4085-8b51-af12f8b57e63

Fix IE & Other Browsers with Web Site Issues & Microsoft Account Access, Email, etc. - Microsoft Community

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_other-networking/set-up-internet-options-for-xp-vista-7-8-and-10/12c19ab0-0c7a-45a4-8c11-75c464c9cb17

Set Up Internet Options for XP, Vista, 7, 8, and 10 - Microsoft Community

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_other-networking/set-up-internet-options-for-xp-vista-7-8-and-10/12c19ab0-0c7a-45a4-8c11-75c464c9cb17

Editing Photos in Paint - Resolutions-Resizing, Adding Text and More - Microsoft Community

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-files/editing-photos-in-paint-resolutions-resizing/3209f962-5cde-4e44-94df-8f6e79c174e0?tm=1529276440418

Add Quick Launch Toolbar To Taskbar In Windows 10 - Microsoft Community

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-start-win_taskbar/add-quick-launch-toolbar-to-taskbar-in-windows-10/7c365da5-1d58-4c0f-bffe-afa1d3af006d

How to Add a Pagefile to USB Thumb Drive - Microsoft Community

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-files/how-to-add-a-pagefile-to-usb-thumb-drive/aa62e44e-811d-4428-bab4-c999ce0050bc

Stop Windows Auto Deleting Thumbnail Cache Updated - Microsoft Community

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-windows_install/windows-10-how-to-stop-the-auto-deleting-thumbnail/5d09ef73-7777-4d59-8e47-965379fb91f0

Windows Media Player - Play ALL Video & Audio Formats Easily - Microsoft Community

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_other-pictures/wmp-play-all-video-audio-formats-easily/ae900cb4-2e8e-4cca-aadb-8da60b1c1464 

Discussion Info

Last updated November 15, 2019 Views 14,639 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Reply In reply to deleted message
Thanks fam, i hate when my pc does that, microsoft really needs to give people a easy way to disable stuff, instead of hiding them under many layers of registry codes...

Thanks fam, i hate when my pc does that, microsoft really needs to give people a easy way to disable stuff, instead of hiding them under many layers of registry codes...

You are Welcome!

Reply In reply to deleted message

. . . .

Microsoft have made the problem even worse in 1803. The cache deletion task is still present (and gets re-enabled during the update), but now Windows is no longer generating thumbnails for many MKVs  which worked fine previously.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/8fceuj/windows_10_build_171341_video_thumbnail_problems/

Microsoft have made the problem even worse in 1803. The cache deletion task is still present (and gets re-enabled during the update), but now Windows is no longer generating thumbnails for many MKVs  which worked fine previously.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/8fceuj/windows_10_build_171341_video_thumbnail_problems/

There is nothing there that is news to me. But, the fact is that Windows has been doing this since Windows 7. They just waited until the cache was a little larger.

Then I seen Icaros in the thread, I did not read all the posts, But I am very aware of Icaros as I have used Shark007 Advanced Codec Packs since XP for 15 years. I even use Icaros and have the top 2 Active and the cache for it on Dynamic and built the Icoros cache.

Here is the facts, windows explorer will always have to load each thumbnail preview in explorer window the first time. Once loaded, it is there. But Icaros is useless if the thumbnail cache is deleted in windows. So the real truth is Icaros is useless in this regard. It is mainly so all your video files show a thumbnail preview that is not the windows generic thumbnail preview. It takes a single video frame snapshot and creates the thumbnail per video file. That is really its only real main useful purpose. I wish Icaros Thumbnail Cache that you build in it would preserve your thumbnails in Explorer after windows deletes your thumbnail cache, but it just does not.

If you read the UPDATED: MAY, 2018 above in this thread, you can backup your windows cache and replace it after creators update.

Thank you. As of 2018/05/16, this is the definitive guide on how stop Windows from deleting thumbnail caches. I Googled all around. I cannot believe how much work must be done to do this. One would think, in 2018, so far in the future of Windows, a simple option to disable this would be an easy to implement. How hard would this be to include for them? I truly believe that Microsoft, for some bizarre reason, would like to regularly delete people's thumbnail caches. I can't quite put my finger on why this is so, but something so simple yet frustrating, they must be aware of this, and yet proceed with it. In this day and age, it really is no problem to have unlimited thumbnails. In fact, rather than deleting, Windows should be proactively pre-loading thumbnails behind the scenes. I should never have to wait for a thumbnail in 2018. Am I wrong to think, that is the whole point of a thumbnail, because it is a small image to not have to wait to see a simple preview? When one must all of a sudden wait for a thumbnail it defeats its entire purpose. Yes, Windows should be proactively pre-loading all thumbnails behind the scenes. I truly believe this. No more deleting. Thank you again for this guide. I have saved this webpage on my HDD in case someone tries to delete it. Afterall, they seem to have an affinity for deleting things without our permissions.

I agree. same thought, give option to disable deleting it. This is Microsoft taking over more control over your PC for no purpose whatsoever. They create a great feature that serves a purpose and then basically make it useless.

And the real fact is, no matter how top notch your PC is, having to have massive thumbnails load while scrolling through a large file slows it down. If thumbnails are loaded, quick scrolling. It is just aggravating and unnecessary to delete them and make it redundant in the OS to find a way to do so with one service or another and triggers to others. It is crazy.

5-19-2018

2.44GB

Then I seen Icaros in the thread, I did not read all the posts, But I am very aware of Icaros as I have used Shark007 Advanced Codec Packs since XP for 15 years. I even use Icaros and have the top 2 Active and the cache for it on Dynamic and built the Icoros cache.

I am also aware of Icaros and have used it previosly in Windows 7. However Windows 8 & 10 have native support for MKV which means installing third party thumbnailing utilities and codec packs is not necessary. Or at least that was the case until 1803. I prefer to run without these extras if at all possible. Seems very strange that this update reduced MKV compatibility and it just feels like a backwards to have to start installing things that haven’t been required since Windows 7.

Icaros has been part of the Shark007 pack for a long time. you do not need to run the cache part of it,

It gets rid of those default generic ugly thumbnails and replaced them with a snapshot out of each video for a thumbnail. it also gives ability for meta data info in the file properties for many popular file types.

And I have more experience than you could imagine in audio and video. And I would not use Windows TV/Movie player. Piece of crap. Nor would I use VLC. Yes, you really do need a codec pack or eat the muck from what is giving too you.

For 15 years, XP through 10, been using WMP and shark007 FFDShow setup and never an issue on numerous PC's and everyone else I know that I set them up, couple thousand of my customers.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_other-pictures/wmp-play-all-video-audio-formats-easily/ae900cb4-2e8e-4cca-aadb-8da60b1c1464

Oh, I have no issues with any files types or formats. Personally MKV suck in my opinion. I am Pro MP4 and then AVI are good too as my 2nd choice.

Anyway, this is for stopping thumbnail cache from being deleted. Icaros plays no part in it or has no control to stop it. I never use to run the cache part of it, just ran the files properties and thumbnailing.