Windows 10 Black screen problem

I have a Dell Inspiron N5050 and after installing windows 10 a black screen keeps on showing up at startup and I can't logon to my system or anythinganything. Please help.

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Do you have a mouse pointer or a cursor? I do not. Seems there are different issues with the black screen. I can do nothing. 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

I have a Dell Inspiron N5050 and after installing windows 10 a black screen keeps on showing up at startup and I can't logon to my system or anythinganything. Please help.

I too experienced a similar situation on my Dell Vostro 1000 and what I discovered during my testing of the technical preview is that when I disabled the "fast startup" feature my laptop would then boot-up to the desktop without any issues. You'll find this feature by first going through the cold start of your PC. Yes, you will get the black screen. Take notice of the HDD light. When it appears to have stop flickering hit the restart button to perform a warm start. Hopefully Windows will boot into the login screen. If that works go to Settings > System > Power & Sleep > Additional Power Setting (at the bottom) > Choose What the Power Buttons Do (listed on the left) > Disable "Turn On Fast Startup" (listed under the Shutdown Settings).

Note: If you see that it is greyed out, click the setting "Change settings that are currently unavailable" located at the top.

5 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have no cursor or pointer and can do nothing as well and I restarted my computer multiple times and still no login screen shows.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have no cursor or pointer and can do nothing as well on my computer and I restarted my computer multiple times and still no login screen showing.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

After your computer starts close down the computer screen and make sure it goes to sleep/hibernate. Afterwards wake the computer and it should be on the login screen. This worked for me, hope it works for you as well.

12 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have disabled that feature, any other solution?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Fast startup as suggested did not do anything.  HOWEVER -  I plugged in an external screen and although laptop screen was black, I could use my external screen as normal.  All applications seemed to work.

Got the laptop screen screen working after I deleted the Intel Display driver (including  all associated files)

After restarting it just installed the basic window driver.  Not great but ok for now until Intel comes out with an updated driver.

The other issue I fixed was the sound.  I did get an error when I wanted to play a sound file but I installed VLC player which solved it.

BCSNapier

New Zealand

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have the same issue with the Dell N5050. I can see the windows loading but then it goes to a black screen and then nothing but If you plug in a secondary monitor you are able to see the login screen and use the computer. I am not sure what causes this issue.

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I had the same issue with the Dell N5050

i updated the bios from the dell site.

which solved it.

10 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have seen this issue on a Dell N5050 and on a BTO notebook. The issue seems to be with the automatic update of the HD 3000 graphics card. This issue can indeed be temporarily overcome, as mentioned by Shan8631, by putting the computer into sleepmode (often can be triggered by pressing the on/off button), and then waking it up with the space bar. That allows you you log into Windows again, and hopefully restore to your previous Windows version (google up 'Downgrade from Windows 10' for instructions. This only works if you upgraded to Win 10 less than 30 days ago.

I have spend hours on trying to find the right drivers for the HD 3000 card under Win10, but even the ones Microsoft has on their website, telling you they are especially for Win10, do not seem to work.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated April 8, 2022 Views 9,789 Applies to: