Windows 10 April 2018 Update version 1803: error 0x80242006

Hi,

I'm experiencing an issue during the major upgrade installation of April 2018 update on one of my desktop PC @work. I've got the same error during the "Fall Creators Update" six months ago fixed using the the Windows Update download tool executable. Still this error happens each time a major update is released and rolled out by MS on this PC using the Windows Update Module. No issue for patch Tuesday patch. We're on build 1709.16299.248 at the moment of writing (I'm referring to the 64bit OS on the stable channel)

Error code is 0x80242006.

What I've done before:

1. Running the Windows Update troubleshooter tool (it fixed a couple of minor problem but the issue persist)

2. Renaming the Download folder in the %systemroot%\SoftwareDistribution path to force Windows Update to rebuild its package database

At the moment I'm quite sure that running again the Windows Update download tool will start the update correctly but I really don't want to proceed that way.

Feel free to share with me other actions...i can share with you logs and registry keys eventually if needed.

Bye

Simone

Hi Spulci, honestly 1803 is very, very troublesome to install . . .

With these major upgrades, the most successful method is to upgrade from the Windows 10 ISO - you download the ISO and then perform an Offline Upgrade

Click this link:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-downlo...
to download the Media Creation Tool (Click on Download Tool Now), with that you can download the latest Windows 10 ISO (Select Create Installation Media for Another PC), then choose ISO

When the ISO file completes downloading

Disconnect from the Internet

Uninstall any 3rd party Anti-virus - this is a known issue with 1803

Then, double click it and then run Setup.exe to begin the upgrade . . .

Power to the Developer!

MSI GV72 - 17.3", i7-8750H (Hex Core), 32GB DDR4, 4GB GeForce GTX 1050 Ti, 256GB NVMe M2, 2TB HDD

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks Dave,

but I want to fix the error under Windows Update....I understand that downloading the ISO with the Media Creation Tool fixes the issue....but it's a workaround I don't want to try at least for now.

For the antivirus issue, as far as I know is acknowledged using Avast antivirus (for which pcs MS blocked the distribution starting from today while deeply inspecting the issue with Avast). I've got no issues on one of my home pc upgrading it to April 2018 update with Bitdefender installed.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated September 10, 2019 Views 3,836 Applies to: