Will documents and apps remain, or are app installs required

Technical Level : Basic

Summary
Migrating your personal files, applications and settings is a critical part of moving to a new version of Windows. In this article, we discuss some of these topics.
Details

What happens to my previous operating system when I upgrade to Windows 10?

Windows 10 replaces your previous version of Windows by moving it to the Windows.old folder. Windows 10 becomes the default operating system.

Can I uninstall Windows 10 if I do not like it or something goes wrong?

Yes, you can see the following: How to: Rollback to a previous version of Windows from Windows 10

What happens to the recovery partition used by my previous version of Windows?
It will become inoperable. That is why it is strongly advised you backup before upgrading.

Suppose I need to go back to Windows 8 or Windows 7?
You will either need to have recovery media or request recovery media from the manufacturer of your computer or try rolling back within the first 30 days of upgrading.

Will upgrading from Windows 7 or later preserve my personal files, applications and settings?

Yes, upgrading from Windows 7 or a later version will preserve your personal files (documents, music, pictures, videos, downloads, favorites, emails, contacts etc, applications (ie. Microsoft Office, Adobe applications etc),  games and settings (ie. passwords, custom dictionary, application settings).

Will my existing programs, hardware and drivers work on Windows 10?

Most applications and hardware drivers designed for Windows 7 or later should work with Windows 10. Of course, with significant changes expected in Windows 10, it is best you contact the software developer and hardware vendor to find out about support for Windows 10. Windows 10 setup will keep, upgrade, replace and might require that you install new drivers through Windows Update or from the manufacturers website.

You can also download the Windows 10 Reservation App and use it to check your system readiness.

How to reserve your free upgrade to Windows 10

Click the hamburger menu at the upper left hand corner.

Click Check your PC

Wait while the scan prepares a report, when complete, you should see the following:

Backup your computer:
When making significant changes to your computer such as updating the operating system, you should always backup. See links to resources about backing up by clicking the link for the respective version of Windows you are running: Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8/8.1

Also review:

How to manually backup and restore your files

How to: 10 Tips before installing the latest Windows 10 build

How to: 10 things to do if Windows 10 Setup fails.

How to: Determine if an application or hardware device is compatible with Windows 10

Once you have installed these important updates and followed the prerequisite instructions, you should be ready to receive your free update to Windows 10 this summer.

Which versions of Microsoft Office work on Windows 10?

The following versions of Microsoft Office with the latest Service Packs have been confirmed to be compatible with Windows 10:

• Office 2016 Preview
  • Office 2013/Office 365
  • Office 2010 with exception Office Starter 2010
  • Office 2007

Older versions of Office such as Office 2000, Office 2003 and Office XP are not certified compatible with Windows 10 but might work using compatibility mode.

Resources: A look at running older versions of Microsoft Office on Windows 10

Is Microsoft Office Starter 2010 compatible with Windows 10?

Please be aware that Office Starter 2010 is not supported. You will be prompted to remove it before the upgrade starts.

Is Office included for free with Windows 10?

No, desktop Office 2016/Office 365 or no prior version will not be free. The Microsoft Office Team developed a special touch optimized version of Microsoft Office for Tablets running Windows 10. This will be a free limited functionality version gear towards basic editing in Tablet mode. It lacks many of the capabilities of desktop Office. You can download it from the store.

Learn more:

The next chapter of Office on Windows - Office Blogs

Suppose my computer cannot run Windows 10?

Well, this is a personal decision, you can continue to run your existing version of Windows throughout the life of the machine or upgrade to a currently supported version of Windows (ie, Windows 7 or Windows 8.1) or purchase a new device with Windows 8.1 today or wait for a new computer preinstalled with Windows 10.

Excerpts from Frequently Asked Questions: Windows 10

Forum Article Info

Last updated October 5, 2018 Views 2,008 Applies to: